Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #136
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Could someone PM with detail instructions on what to download (and where), as well as tell me how to do the stripping? I need basic instructions for someone who is only slightly knowledgable about this stuff. Is it as easy to strip K4PC DRM as it is Lit DRM? That I can handle.

Nevermind. It took me over 4 hours but I managed to figure it out. The hardest part was getting MobideDRM. I Love Cabbages, your program is perfect; very user friendly. I think I'll give you some karma. Hooray! Now I can buy some books by a favorite author (once I get some money).

Last edited by BeccaAnn; 12-18-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Answered my own question
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #137
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Since one has to buy the book to remove the DRM I do not think that one could use the tool to steal. Passing on the liberated book to another person is another story however. My biggest fear is that Amazon starts putting out more books in the topaz format--which look lousy on the Kindle.
I hope not. I don't need K4PC, since I do own a Kindle 2. I just like being able to open my books on my PC. If that happens then I'll never buy books from Amazon again not because Topaz has not been cracked but because it's a lousy format. Topaz books are slow and the font looks horrible. I have returned 1 book and 1 book only, a Topaz book and bought it in ePub at another bookstore for $3.00 more than what Amazon was selling it for.

Last edited by Lilly; 12-18-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #138
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I hope not. I don't need K4PC, since I do own a Kindle 2. I just like being able to open my books on my PC. If that happens then I'll never buy books from Amazon again not because Topaz has not been cracked but because it's a lousy format. Topaz books are slow and the font looks horrible. I have returned 1 book and 1 book only, a Topaz book and bought it in ePub at another bookstore for $3.00 more than what Amazon was selling it for.
I'm with you I also have a Kindle 2 and can liberate my books. I think that perhaps Amazon was not to worried about the fact that one could liberate books that one bought for the Kindle due to the fact that one still had to own a Kindle to do it. Now owning a Kindle is not a prerequisite. If it is true that Amazon loses money on some of the bestsellers they sell they may try and fix this issue pretty fast.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #139
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
I missed that labba had released something somewhat more user friendly than running a debugger. *shrug* The unswindle.pyw script I wrote and have provided via the linked blog post works without patching KindleForPC.exe and automatically runs mobidedrm. Whichever way most floats your boat.
Can confirm that your scipt runs great in 64-bit Windows 7.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #140
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Works like a charm in Windows 7 32 bit.

I Love Cabbages how do we thank you!!!!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #141
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
If unswindle created a book without popping up an error, then this is probably an error in mobidedrm. Which version do you have? When you get a chance, could you see how calibre handle the decrypted output?
Calilbre opens it and goes all the way through perfectly. It will also convert it to ePub perfectly with no errors. I have mobidedrm.py, mobidedrm2.py and mobihuff.py all in that directory, should I take the older mobidedrm.py script out?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #142
TimeTraveler
Enthusiast
TimeTraveler doesn't litterTimeTraveler doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 PRS-650,Asus Transformer Prime and Kindle Fire HDX
I'm not having any luck

I've placed unswindle.pyw and mobidedrm.py version 0.07 in a folder. I've installed python 2.6 and pycrypto (Cabbage's other fantastic program for adept drm for epub works great.) So I think that's installed ok. I have K4PC and I'm using XP SP2 32 bit.

When I run Ver 3 of unswindle.pyw K4PC doesn't try to open and I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Louis\Desktop\K4PC2\unswindle.pyw", line 754, in gui_main inpath, pid = unswindler.get_book()
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Louis\Desktop\K4PC2\unswindle.pyw", line 705, in get_book debugger.main_loop()
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Louis\Desktop\K4PC2\unswindle.pyw", line 549, in main_loop raise DebuggerError ("could not open thread handle")
DebuggerError: could not open thread handle

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #143
elpheaba
elpheaba began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1, Sony Prs-700, Kindle DX
Works beautifully, now if we could just get it to work on Topaz books my life would be complete. Thanks Cabbages we do love you.
elpheaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #144
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Calilbre opens it and goes all the way through perfectly. It will also convert it to ePub perfectly with no errors. I have mobidedrm.py, mobidedrm2.py and mobihuff.py all in that directory, should I take the older mobidedrm.py script out?
Dumb question: Where are you putting the plugin? I was thinking "Conversion Input Plugins", but I am not sure....

Oh, nevermind, it takes care of that itself.... sheesh :-/
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #145
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Really good work. Now Amazon is usable as a place to buy books from. So many places to buy books from, so little time to read them, unfortunately.

Edit: Oh my god the prices !! Fictionwise is way better.

Last edited by brudigia; 12-19-2009 at 07:27 AM.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #146
armyofgnomes
armyofgnomes began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Believe it or not, I Love Cabbages script will actually run under Wine on Ubuntu. You'll need to make sure you install the Windows version of Python, but other than that, it works great. Thanks for the script
armyofgnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #147
i♥cabbages
Leafy greens connoisseur
i♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I believe there's a version 0.7 of mobidedrm out. You probably don't need to keep the older versions -- just the newest named as "mobidedrm.py".
i♥cabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #148
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Works for me - Win XP SP 2. Thanks so much.

Now, i♥cabbages, how do we persuade you to apply your considerable talents to Topaz books ?

Karma given.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #149
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Works for me - Win XP SP 2. Thanks so much.

Now, i♥cabbages, how do we persuade you to apply your considerable talents to Topaz books ?

Karma given.
The most interesting drm books to work on are the new BN epub with password protection; Topaz is junk and while it would be nice to have them free, the result will be most likely an ugly pseudo-scan
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #150
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I would beg to differ - most of the books that are Topaz are only available in Topaz. Are there any of the B&N new-DRM epub that aren't available elsewhere (in a currently strippable format)? I would think it's about having the largest variety of books.

Regardless, it's obviously up to i♥cabbages as to what interests him more (Topaz, please ).
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote