Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Book friendly and Linux compatible scanner(as OpticBook) ?

Hello.

I'm preparing and organizing my (e)book library for getting an ebook reader device, I'm going to digitalize all my books by scanner and OCR.

The problem is that doing it with an average scanner is a pain and I don't want to destroy/damage my books in the digitalization proccess. I found the OpticBook scanners from Plustek and they seem quite interesting.

The problem with those scanners is that they only work with Microsoft Windows, I'm a GNU/Linux user since years ago and I don't want to use Microsoft
software at all. SANE (Sanner Access Now Easy) project doesn't plan to support their scanners and the project seems to have not so big support. I also
readed this forum post, and even this taiwanese company ignores emails
too.

Are there some scanner similar than OptiBook scanners from Plustek but compatible with Linux? I have been unable to find similar scanner from other brands.

Regards.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Not really, no. You may want to consider building one of those camera rigs - they evidently work very well and cost about the same.

And yeah, I've STILL not heard anything from Plustek.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Not really, no. You may want to consider building one of those camera rigs - they evidently work very well and cost about the same.

And yeah, I've STILL not heard anything from Plustek.

What one do you recommend? They seem a bit difficult to make...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Definitely takes some know-how from what I've seen, but not too much. But I've never done it myself so I wouldn't know. I've heard lots of good things and some people here on the forums have done it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
Hello.

I'm preparing and organizing my (e)book library for getting an ebook reader device, I'm going to digitalize all my books by scanner and OCR.

The problem is that doing it with an average scanner is a pain and I don't want to destroy/damage my books in the digitalization proccess. I found the OpticBook scanners from Plustek and they seem quite interesting.

The problem with those scanners is that they only work with Microsoft Windows, I'm a GNU/Linux user since years ago and I don't want to use Microsoft
software at all. SANE (Sanner Access Now Easy) project doesn't plan to support their scanners and the project seems to have not so big support. I also
readed this forum post, and even this taiwanese company ignores emails
too.

Are there some scanner similar than OptiBook scanners from Plustek but compatible with Linux? I have been unable to find similar scanner from other brands.

Regards.
Typically scanners really are TWAIN compatible so if you have a TWAIN compatible application to read the data then you should be set. Scanners are hardware supporting a protocol so they don't care about the operating system. However the application is different.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
By the way Kodak announced TWAIN compatible scanners for certain flavors of Linux.

http://www.twain.org/pr_031709.shtm

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
timofonic
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
By the way Kodak announced TWAIN compatible scanners for certain flavors of Linux.

http://www.twain.org/pr_031709.shtm

Dale
It's okay, any way to use win32 drivers under Linux? I prefer the native FOSS way but...

Tags
book scanner, linux, opticbook, sane, scanning books