Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
ga2775
ga2775 began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000 ?
Best choice of reader + file format for given features ?

Hi all,

I've been considering buying an e-books reader for quite some time and, realizing that color screens are still quite far off, I've decided to invest now...

I wonder what in your view would be the best choice of ereader+file format to use, in order to obtain the following set of features:
- good interface reactivity / reasonably quick loading times
- ability to highlight specific passages and to bookmark corresponding pages, and to save these changes in the ebook file itself (so that they would be conserved if the file was moved back to a PC).
- ability to quickly pop up a translation for a given word (DE, ES to EN, FR)
- search text (possibly regex if available)
- the less proprietary the better (no specific transfer software, the reader should just appear as a common usb storage device ; storage on standard SD / CF card, ...)
- not interested in wifi connectivity / mp3 capabilities
- autonomy is not paramount
- finally, the ability to read jpg/gif packed in .zip files

Thanks!

Rgds,
-ga2775
ga2775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Your translation requirement means that Mobipocket format should be at the top of your list. There are any number of ebook readers that support Mobipocket, including the Cybook, Hanlin V3 (& clones), Amazon Kindle, Irex DR1000, as well as PDAs, PC, etc.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not aware of any eBook reader will allow you to "edit" the actual book itself. A number of devices (iLiad, Kindle) will allow you to attach annotations, and pretty much all allow you to set bookmarks. You're not going to find all your requirements in any one reader, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
ga2775
ga2775 began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not aware of any eBook reader will allow you to "edit" the actual book itself. A number of devices (iLiad, Kindle) will allow you to attach annotations, and pretty much all allow you to set bookmarks.
Ok, so that means it's saved in an individual file somehow related to the book file, that you can transfer back to a PC and possibly to another ebook reader? Or does it stay in a kind of "device registry" that remains inaccessible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're not going to find all your requirements in any one reader, though.
I kind of expected that :-)
Never mind, I'd like to see what's possible today, and I was (I am) a bit lost given the multiplicity of readers and possible formats.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.
ga2775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2775 View Post
Ok, so that means it's saved in an individual file somehow related to the book file, that you can transfer back to a PC and possibly to another ebook reader? Or does it stay in a kind of "device registry" that remains inaccessible?
It's stored in a file and you can transfer it back to a PC, yes.

Given your requirements of sophisticated searching, in all seriousness you might well be better off using something like a Tablet PC rather than a dedicated book reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert