Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
20090102 snapshot

Here's another snapshot. There are no functional changes since last one (in particular, Sony and Cybook are not yet ready), only e-ink driver speed improvement. Please test and report any bugs encountered (especially display-related).

Documentation (in progress, please help us fixing and improving it):

* User's Guide
* Installation Guide

Downloads:

* http://openinkpot.org/pub/snapshots/20090102/

Last edited by dottedmag; 01-02-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I flashed my BeBook, rather than try the Live version from the SD card. I noticed two things straight off:
  1. This snapshot did not bluescreen my Windows XP box when I plugged in the USB cable like the previous snapshot (20081128). However, I still can't access the device via SSH, but at least my BeBook is now charging when on the USB cable.
  2. The page turns are noticably faster.

Good progress! Just give me SSH access and Mad (or Loco) PDF and I'll be happy!
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I also tried it, but I could not get the USB driver to load for Windows XP.

Are the SD card and internal memory supposed to be exported via USB? I don't see them from Windows. I would like SSH access, but USB disk access would be almost as good for many purposes. None of the EInk devices seem to require a special USB driver (on the Desktop) to export USB filesystems. So perhaps there could be a "USB FS only" mode. On the EZ Reader, this mode locks the screen (on the iLiad it not only locks the screen but also only works from the contentlister, i.e. from madshelf, which would be ok too).
Old 01-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Are the SD card and internal memory supposed to be exported via USB?
No, until someone steps in and implements it.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
However, I still can't access the device via SSH, but at least my BeBook is now charging when on the USB cable.
Any additional info? Works fine with Linux.
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Any additional info?
I found Gumstick: Windows XP usbnet which helped show what should happen. Most of the times I tried I did not get a "Step 4" (Hardware Type), and without this step (i.e without selecting a network adaptor device type) I could not get Windows to accept the linux.inf ("not relevant to device", or something like that).

One time I did get through all the steps outlined on the Gunstick page, but there was an error in the installation so it got to Step 11 but not to Step 12. I have Windows XP SP3. So I assume linux.inf has problems. I should have taken a screenshot of the error message, if I can get to that point again I will do so.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Please do! It is quite hard to debug this problem without any kind of error messages.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader

What I get almost always is "unknown device", and what looks like a null device id. See the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_USB3.gif
Views:	539
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	20381  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the same issue as Wallcraft, I think. When I first plug in the USB cable, I get an error message stating "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

If I look into the Device Manager, I see an "Unknown Device". If I try to update the driver for this device, using the linux.inf file, I get a message stating "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 01-03-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
What I get almost always is "unknown device", and what looks like a null device id. See the attached screenshot.
Please open a ticket in our trac, with all information collected so far.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Trac ticket opened and picked up by jekhor.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Mr. Moe,
You'll be happy to know that locoPDF is alive! It has basic functions -> zooming, panning, trimming (you can choose # of pixels to trim off on left,right,top and bottom, to get rid of those pesky margins). Best of all, it remembers the settings for each individual book, so that when you reopen it, it will be exactly how you left it (especially handy for for trimming values, when you've got them just right). I believe we're planning a new snapshot in a couple days, which should include locoPDF. Feedback is welcome, btw!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #13
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
That's great news, quickhand. I already love OI, so better now with PDF support.

Awesome work!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
You'll be happy to know that locoPDF is alive! It has basic functions -> zooming, panning, trimming (you can choose # of pixels to trim off on left,right,top and bottom, to get rid of those pesky margins). Best of all, it remembers the settings for each individual book, so that when you reopen it, it will be exactly how you left it (especially handy for for trimming values, when you've got them just right). I believe we're planning a new snapshot in a couple days, which should include locoPDF. Feedback is welcome, btw!
This is indeed good news, quickhand. You said "basic functions", but I don't think any of the other ereader PDF viewers have panning and trimming, so I'd call that more than basic! Looking forward to the new snapshot.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader

Is it usual for internal storage to be empty? I can see the SD card with no problem, but not the internal filesystem.

When I reflashed, I assumed the internal storage had been erased. However, I have switched back to the Hanlin firmware and the books in internal storage are still there. They are again not accessible from the OI-on-SD version.