Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #31
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you misunderstand me. I mean that Kindle books actually are MobiPocket books - they are books in MobiPocket format, which use MobiPocket DRM. They are encoded for the MobiPocket ID of the Kindle, just as you'd encode books for any other MobiPocket device at any other MobiPocket bookstore.
Yeah. You were right. I actually thought Kindle was a new format which was almost identical to Mobipocket. However the point was as I said, Amazon has decided to make some books only available on Kindle, which could be seen as a sort of vertical monopoly.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 AM   #32
dodgyville
dodgyville began at the beginning.

Device: E65
I know there's a law in Australia against uncompetitive "third-line forcing", where a company refuses to sell you a service or product unless you buy another service or product. I don't think third-line forcing law passes judgement on the business aspects of it, other than that it is clearly uncompetitive.

It sounds to me like this would definitely break that law here.
dodgyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #33
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Is it blackmail? For any existing POD publishers on Amazon, it probably is.

Not just the idea of having to use their service (which is simply galling IMHO) - but the expense of having to move existing files from another service to one which you really don't want to use just so you can stay on their service cannot be underestimated. I'm in the middle of helping set up a new database at my current employer - and the cost of having to find, upload and update old information is nothing minor. There's the hours of reloading info, the hoping that said info is even accepted by the new service... I could go on.

Not to mention the fees they are going to charge on top of all this.

Going to make me think twice about where I order my next book online.
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
And I DIS-disagree! Look, the Kindle format is closely derived from Mobipocket, so there's no 'super-secret' procedure there. Also, the printer does nothing to ensure that the ebooks are properly formatted. Further, Amazon *has* sold ebooks in the past (other than Kindle) and has not demanded that those ebooks be from titles printed by their BookSurge printers.
And with the eBooks Amazon previously sold, they screwed over a LOT of customers. What's to say they won't do so again?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #35
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And with the eBooks Amazon previously sold, they screwed over a LOT of customers. What's to say they won't do so again?
Exactly!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
And I DIS-disagree! Look, the Kindle format is closely derived from Mobipocket, so there's no 'super-secret' procedure there. Also, the printer does nothing to ensure that the ebooks are properly formatted. Further, Amazon *has* sold ebooks in the past (other than Kindle) and has not demanded that those ebooks be from titles printed by their BookSurge printers.
This is apples and oranges. There is nothing that this Amazon decision has to do with eBooks at all. It is POD, print on demand books, not ebooks. It is bad enough without getting the details totally wrong.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #37
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Amazon: another company who was happy with interoperability as long as they didn't have their own proprietary format. *sigh*

You know, these days, when I'm looking for books online, I'm beginning to favor non-Amazon sellers. Fictionwise for ebooks, Abebooks for used books, Lulu for POD, etc. Recently I happily discovered The Book Depository, a UK based seller of new books at very good prices.

Too much economic weight in a single basket: not a good thing, ultimately.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #38
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
Amazon: another company who was happy with interoperability as long as they didn't have their own proprietary format. *sigh*

You know, these days, when I'm looking for books online, I'm beginning to favor non-Amazon sellers. Fictionwise for ebooks, Abebooks for used books, Lulu for POD, etc. Recently I happily discovered The Book Depository, a UK based seller of new books at very good prices.

Too much economic weight in a single basket: not a good thing, ultimately.
yes, i agree. i get worried when i see someone who wants to make the ultra-mega-giga-of-the-universe *anything*. i use amazon for browsing (i like the "search inside" feature) and for keeping track of things with my wishlist, but i don't buy from them anymore...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't buy books from Amazon. The problem is that they want me to spend $25 to get free shipping. Otherwise, the price jumps to be too high because of the shipping. I have purchased eBooks from Amazon in the past. But now I can't. So basically, Amazon doesn't really have anything I want at a price I'll pay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #40
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Warning: The following message contains a Pot, calling Kettles black. Please turn your irony sensors to their lowest settting.

This thread sure went off-topic quickly! The subject isn't ebook publishing, but Print On Demand Publishing. This includes, but isn't limited to, Vanity Publishing. It's also a business model used for keeping technical publications in circulation by printing them in very small runs. What Amazon has done is informed those in the Print On Demand publishing industry that they must use an Amazon-owned printer to print their books if they want to sell their books on Amazon.

My first knee-jerk reaction was "Monopoly! Boycott Amazon!". I'm biased, as I earn my living, in part, in helping POD printers become more efficient through custom ERP and RIP systems...

Points to ponder, though: how is this different from Amazon getting into the ebook business, but only selling ebooks in "their" format, for their device?

What we're seeing is Amazon is not content to be a distributor. They want a piece of the manufacturing process, as well. That leads to some interesting conflict-of-interest scenarios, I think.

But if Amazon wants to say "we'll only sell POD books we manufacture", I suppose they have that right, however short-sighted that decision appears to observers like me.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #41
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is apples and oranges. There is nothing that this Amazon decision has to do with eBooks at all. It is POD, print on demand books, not ebooks. It is bad enough without getting the details totally wrong.
Apples and oranges are both fruit. There is valid reason for concern (IMHO) about how Amazon is using its market power and what it may mean for eBooks as well.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #42
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
But if Amazon wants to say "we'll only sell POD books we manufacture", I suppose they have that right, however short-sighted that decision appears to observers like me.
Yes, certainly they do.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #43
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
If your grocer sells you rotten apples, you're not going to buy oranges from him.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #44
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes, certainly they do.
Not necessarily. It depends on how powerful Amazon is in whatever the defined market is. If Amazon dominates the bookselling market, and if the US Department of Justice and the courts define that as the relevant market, then Amazon may not have that right.

The one thing Amazon's latest step has done is confirm my decision of years ago to buy any place but Amazon. I rarely even search Amazon for anything and haven't bought a book from Amazon in years.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 PM   #45
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Not necessarily. It depends on how powerful Amazon is in whatever the defined market is. If Amazon dominates the bookselling market, and if the US Department of Justice and the courts define that as the relevant market, then Amazon may not have that right.
Sure, but I don't think we're at the monopoly stage ... and I am not one to push for government intervention in markets except where absolutely necessary.

Tags
amazon, blackmail, booksurge, print on demand