Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I wonder if that's anything like a front light or how it works for reading at night? It really sounds like an interesting device.
Sure sounds like it to me.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I wonder if that's anything like a front light or how it works for reading at night? It really sounds like an interesting device.
Yes it is written in questions about Earl section

Quote:
Does Earl work at night? Does it have a flashlight?
Earl's has a front-light which illuminates it's screen in dark conditions. It's bright enough to use as a lantern if you need some extra light around camp.
minor grammatical error - "illuminates it's screen"
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Damn a waterproof Android e-ink reader with an HD, flexible screen , some sort of illumination, and an FM/AM.shortwave radio?? That's awesome!

Its a little bulky, I would want to make sure the frontlighting worked well, and I would not mind seeing some reviews beforehand. But damn!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Well, I decided to take one for the team.
I preordered one of these magical tablets today.
I needed a new GPS anyways, so I figured I could justify the experiment.
If this goes into production (if the crowdfunding goes through), I can expect to have this lil beauty just in time for hunting season.
If/when it comes, I'll do a solid review with pictures for everyone here.
I hope it's as good as I, well, hope it is.
If nothing else, the solar charger and epub readiness will serve me well after the zombie apocalypse.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
If nothing else, the solar charger and epub readiness will serve me well after the zombie apocalypse.
But, alas, it won't be that all useful after the coming asteroid impact.

Ideally, what you'll need is an exercise bicycle-driven generator so you can simutaneousely read and charge your reader in the murk of the post-impact global winter. Plus build up your running stamina to improve your own survivability.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
But, alas, it won't be that all useful after the coming asteroid impact.

Ideally, what you'll need is an exercise bicycle-driven generator so you can simutaneousely read and charge your reader in the murk of the post-impact global winter. Plus build up your running stamina to improve your own survivability.
I am starting a exercise bicycle repair service then
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I am starting a exercise bicycle repair service then
The big money is going to be in long pig cookbooks.
That's why leg strength is going to be critical.
Or, as somebody somewhere said: "Run away, run away...!"

And survival guides...
Trapping guides...
Any book that'll help you MacGuyver weapons.
The Earl will be worth its weight in C4.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Ruggedized solar-powered e-readers and plastic guns...

That's America in the 21st century....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Ruggedized solar-powered e-readers and plastic guns...

That's America in the 21st century....
And the flying cars are coming.
Asteroid mining, too.
Possibly a warp drive...
http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-possible?lite

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #25
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
I like the looks of this! I am considering several long-distance hiking trips in the future, and was planning on bringing my Kindle Paperwhite. I'm wondering how robust the solar charging will be, but otherwise I like this idea very much. Sent the link to DH to see if he'll consider funding this.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
"During our crowdfunding campaign, backers can preorder Earl for $249, 30% off retail - through June 9th."
So, Earl is for more than 800 $?

Later edit: AAA, 30% off retail not 30% off the retail... my bad...

Last edited by Arbait; 05-15-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I first read about it, my guess was that it would be sold at $399 US. 30% off that would be $279, so without doing the exact math, it should be $379 or around there.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
If this goes into production (if the crowdfunding goes through), I can expect to have this lil beauty just in time for hunting season.
If/when it comes, I'll do a solid review with pictures for everyone here.
I just got an email from the Earl Team. Apparently the crowdfunding has been on for less than a week, and the goal is 55% met.
I think there's a pretty good chance that the unit will be produced.
Also, reading the blog on the Earl site, they're using the flexible e-ink screen with no glass. I wonder if it's the same e-ink screen type as the 13.3" Sony prototype uses.
I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wonder if it's the same e-ink screen type as the 13.3" Sony prototype uses.
I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!
Its probably the (low volume) LG screen used by Wexler:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180586

Apparently the screen in the Sony tops out at 150DPI.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
There is something very appealing about it, in a Swiss army knife sort of way. But I have a vision of damaging it in some way (maybe dropping it) and losing all its functions at once.

I'm more of a fan of being able to pick and choose separate components that I can upgrade or replace even if there is a weight/size penalty. I'd rather have my Goal Zero solar kit, Garmin GPS, Kindle PW, etcetera for camping or survival situations.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps