Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
"If found return to" message on Kindle Fire

I have a new Kindle Fire. I've got it pretty much set-up the way I want, including requiring a password when it comes out of "sleep" mode. What I'd like it to do, however, is not just ask for a password, but also display a message saying, "Property of [my name], if found, please call [my phone number]." Is there any setting or App I can use to accomplish this?
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm not aware of anyway to make your contact info pop up right after unlocking your KF. I haven't found a way to even add your contact info in the same way as the e-ink Kindles (it might be there but I haven't found it yet). If ou are concerned about having your KF returned to you, maybe one of the "anti-virus /find my tablet" apps would work for you.

Trend Micro Mobile Security Personal Edition

Quote:
  • Scans downloaded apps for threats
  • Protects you from online dangers
  • Allows web filtering to protect children
  • Filters calls and Text messages
  • Enables you to find, lock and wipe a lost tablet or phone from a secure web page
  • Password Protected uninstall
Lookout Mobile Security (Kindle Tablet Edition)

Quote:
  • Lookout protects you from bad stuff that can slow down your Kindle with over-the-air, real-time updates.
  • Find your Kindle on a Google Map instantly from Lookout.com.
  • Sound a loud alarm or make your Kindle SCREAM to find it even if it's on silent!
  • Save an extra copy of your contacts on your Kindle for those "just in case" moments.
  • Manage your Kindle and up to one more device from your personal Lookout.com account.

Last edited by daffy4u; 04-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

One of the things I liked about Sony eInks readers was the ability to create a custom sleep screen. I would always put my contact information on that screen. Kindle eInk and Fire devices don't allow that without modification, AFAIK. You can make a label with your contact information and put it on the back of the Fire or on the inside of the cover/case if you use one.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After posting this I left to go to the store, and as I was driving around I thought, "I could just write my name and phone number on a piece of tape and stick it to the back."
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree - a paper label does sound like the best solution. Might increase your chances of safe return if you offered a reward, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The contact info taped to a device does not always work. In February I lostt my Wi-Fi Hotspot on a flight (fell out of my purse). My name and cell phone number were on the back. I have yet to receive a phone call.

A f"ind my device" app in addition to the label on the back may be more helpful, especially since the apps are cheap/free.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Ravenswd
Enthusiast

daffy4u: Good idea. I'll look into those. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I have a set of free cards I fired off from Vistaprint some years ago with a "if found, please return" message in all my cases and such.

Haven't had any get lost and returned, but they were free cards, so I use them for that. Hopefully they'll come in handy if something gets lost.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
See this app for the Kindle Fire HD to secure your device:

http://www.amazon.com/Lookout-Mobile...okout+security

If it's stolen, you can lock it and locate it and provide a return address.

I just checked the one star reviews on this App and they say it does NOT work as described for the Kindle Fire HD. Thus, if you install it, try it out carefully and uninstall it if it does not work for you.

After reading the one star reviews I decided not to install it. It does have a premium app for cell phones which appears to work better for about $ 30 per year.

I'll wait a year for improvements and then try it out.

Of course if its stolen and the thief does a factory reset, that app will disappear along with all the rest.

The best approach to a stolen Kindle is to contact Amazon and report it to them. Then that MAC address will be recorded as stolen and it can never be used with Amazon material.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I have a label on all my devices in case there is someone out there that will call. I figure, no label, no call.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sharpe works wonders for name & number on back of readers/tablets.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote