Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
SusieWong
SusieWong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Buttons not working

Hello, I am new to Calibre, ebooks and this forum.

I have two 'problems' which I hope you help me with. First, I have Calibre 0.7.48, even though I have only just downloaded this, I have a message in the bottom right that an update has been found - 0.7.50. I click on this and get the option to ;get update' but, when I click on this nothing happens. Secondly, there is a heart button at the top, if I hover over this I see it is to make a donation. However, if I click on heart in order to donate, again nothing happens.

I would appreciate any advice. I am not very good with the computer so, if these are fixable, I will need simple, step by step instructions. Thank you.
SusieWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieWong View Post
Hello, I am new to Calibre, ebooks and this forum.

I have two 'problems' which I hope you help me with. First, I have Calibre 0.7.48, even though I have only just downloaded this, I have a message in the bottom right that an update has been found - 0.7.50. I click on this and get the option to ;get update' but, when I click on this nothing happens. Secondly, there is a heart button at the top, if I hover over this I see it is to make a donation. However, if I click on heart in order to donate, again nothing happens.

I would appreciate any advice. I am not very good with the computer so, if these are fixable, I will need simple, step by step instructions. Thank you.
Welcome.

Where did you just download 7.48 from?
This is the primary download page
http://calibre-ebook.com
/download
and it dishes up the latest release. 48 is over a week old

BTW I also noticed the 'New version' notice did not launch the browser to the Calibre site (Linux and XP) .
Be sure to exit Calibre completely to Install the update (over the existing release unless the note say otherwise)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
SusieWong

'Just' being last week...

If I redownload will all my books be in the new version? I am using Vista and Firefox.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Just to add more info about the Donate button, it's working fine for me in last week's and the newest versions (7.0.49 and .50). When I click on the heart, it opens the Calibre donate page in Firefox. Perhaps it's more an issue with IE? If not, possibly associations got whacked on your PC somehow and having nothing to do with Calibre.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
If I redownload will all my books be in the new version? I am using Vista and Firefox.
Yes. Unless you manually delete them, upgrades/uninstalls/reinstalls keep the libraries and settings intact. In that context, you should be aware that downgrading, while it generally works, is not officially supported as there may be database or settings changes in newer versions that break things for older versions.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
SusieWong

Thank you for advice everyone. I now have the new version (and I didn't loose my books).

The help button and the donate button still don't work....I'm using Firefox 3.6.25 and Vista....could this be a bug?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
The help button and the donate button still don't work....I'm using Firefox 3.6.25 and Vista....could this be a bug?
That will happen if your operating system has no default browser setup. I suggest running a registry cleaner.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
SusieWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That will happen if your operating system has no default browser setup. I suggest running a registry cleaner.
Thank you, I set the default browser then ran a registry cleaner - that was a first for me and I haven't a clue what it did but - donation now made AND the help button works too.

Just realised that the tick telling me if the book is on my device or not has disappeared....any ideas?

Last edited by SusieWong; 03-21-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Just realised that the tick telling me if the book is on my device or not has disappeared....any ideas?
That column only appears when a device is actually connected via USB and detected by Calibre. When yours is, is the column still not showing?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
SusieWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
That column only appears when a device is actually connected via USB and detected by Calibre. When yours is, is the column still not showing?
Oh, just connected and all is well. Sorry for being such a technophobe.....