Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Anti- 1-click buy settings. 1-click is security risk? Need support from community

Hello, I didn't see a forum for this, so I put it in the "bug" forum.

This bugs me. I HAVE to use 1-click to buy from amazon.

1) I don't think this is secure. Yes, I can deactivate my kindle if it gets stolen, but someone could rack up a hefty bill from the time I get my kindle stolen until it gets deactivated.

2) I propose an account on amazon that I could put money in to (say 500 hundred at a time) that I could use for digital downloads of kindle books.

They have something similar to this but it is not allowed for digital downloads.

Do you think we could rally support for this?

Could bloggers post about the possible security problem on their blogs?

Could someone release a press release and get this in the news??

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your responses.
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You do know you can use a Gift certificate to buy books?

Any charges made would be taken from the GC first.

The only thing anyone could buy if they stole or you lost your Kindle would be books.

I don't see any way to buy anything else.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I have often thought that Amazon should require a password for Kindle purchases (and surprised they have not since the liability is theirs).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Apparently you need to read the Kindle Myths forum. There is NO reason for you to worry. If you find your Kindle has been stolen.... you can deregister it from your Amazon account. You can also request that books purchased by the thief be returned.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Apparently you need to read the Kindle Myths forum. There is NO reason for you to worry. If you find your Kindle has been stolen.... you can deregister it from your Amazon account. You can also request that books purchased by the thief be returned.

BOb
I am well aware of that, but I think the original poster was that there could be a run on his/her credit card before it was reported and reversed.

Personally, I think the risk is small; however, if someone wanted to cause mischief they could. (A friend of mine lost his cellphone and the finder immediately prank called everyone in his phonebook before he even realized it was gone).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I am well aware of that, but I think the original poster was that there could be a run on his/her credit card before it was reported and reversed.
Ok... but you don't have to pay for any of it.

BOb
Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
med007
Enthusiast

it won't be long before someone generates a way to tap the kindle 3g to detect when transactions are being made by a separate device and capture the data needed to make 1-click purchases on to another device and the user will never know... unless they check their credit card closely.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Even if Amazon does not refund the books, you can just call the CC company and challenge the fraudulent charges... and you are not liable for them
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
med007
Enthusiast

just like people can swipe on to your cell phone plan with similar devices. You won't know unless you check your minutes. Obviously no one responded has ever had 10k racked up when someone copies your credit card info on one of those wireless scanners in London and then struggled for years to get the credit card to pay the interest that accumulated in the fraud investation account. They paid the 10k, but for some stupid reason it was a struggle for the credit card company to pay the interest that accumulated while the fraud investigation unit was investigating...

have a higher sense of security awareness. why do you think apple isn't allowing background apps on the iphone ANY TIME SOON.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by med007 View Post
it won't be long before someone generates a way to tap the kindle 3g to detect when transactions are being made by a separate device and capture the data needed to make 1-click purchases on to another device and the user will never know... unless they check their credit card closely.
Doesn't 3G use A5 stream encryption?

Also keep in mind the device has to be registered to your account in order to be able to buy from it. So, the Kindle would have to be cloned with your s/n. I just don't think this will be all that easy to do.

BOb
Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by med007 View Post
Obviously no one responded has ever had 10k racked up when someone copies your credit card info on one of those wireless scanners in London and then struggled for years to get the credit card to pay the interest that accumulated in the fraud investation account.
I don't know how it works in the UK. But in the US CC companies have all types of fraud protection. I have had my CC company call use to verify "suspicions" charges several times... when the charges don't fit in your buying pattern.

Also, when you get you CC bill you can dispute the charges they are removed from your card while they are investigated, and you don't have to pay the charge NOR does interest accrue it the charge is removed.

BOb
Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
I would like it if I could only attach gift cards to my "1-click." Right now it defaults to your cc after the gc runs out.
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There would be no need for the credit card information to ever go across the 3G network. All the Kindle would have to send is the serial number info, and the Amazon server can look up the rest.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I don't want to have to enter passwords or whatever to make a purchase on Kindle. If you want this to be optional, great and I'll support you. If you want it to be mandatory, then sorry, but you've lost me.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #15
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarrunner71 View Post
I would like it if I could only attach gift cards to my "1-click." Right now it defaults to your cc after the gc runs out.
I use gift cards exclusivly on my amazon acct as I don't HAVE a credit card from a US company. I am not a US citizen, though the Kindle was bought by one and Gifted to my partner.... I just make sure my Gift Certs DON'T run out......
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote