Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa.F View Post
I am waiting for the KPW to be shipped in October right now but the photos make me consider to try the $69 Kindle as it seems the KPW doesn't have much better contrast.
I really hope they make screen quality more consistent so that everyone can be happy.
The PW has more PPI so the screen will be better. How much I don't know but I think with the brightness settings it will be King of the Kindles. The K4B for $69 is a good price for a great little reader. It's tiny and makes a great travel reader. It's always good to have a backup.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #62
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What is the difference when compared to the Paperwhite? You get higher resolution and front lighting, but for twice the price? Is that it? Seems like a nice premium for Amazon, not that I begrudge them. If I was buying now I know I would go for the PW in a heart beat. But if you detach yourself emotionally for a while, it seems to me that you do shell out a bit for not so much in return in a direct comparison. Not sure I'm right though.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What is the difference when compared to the Paperwhite? You get higher resolution and front lighting, but for twice the price? Is that it? Seems like a nice premium for Amazon, not that I begrudge them. If I was buying now I know I would go for the PW in a heart beat. But if you detach yourself emotionally for a while, it seems to me that you do shell out a bit for not so much in return in a direct comparison. Not sure I'm right though.
You get covers instead of text listings, you get 3 more font choices, a light to read at night and a better screen. You get X-ray and About the author info and a few more features. It's also suppose to be faster. It's definitely worth the price and the better of the two. You can't compare them as they are not in the same league.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I just added to the new K4B the custom font I love so much. Amasis modified for eInk. It looks beautiful! Thank you to the member who modified it, you know who you are! Now comparing the two K4s with Amasis as the font you really can see a BIG difference. The K4 is blacker so it's not the updated fonts that is making the K4 text look black. They did something else to fix the contrast problem.

I have no problem using the defaults as they look really nice and dark on the K4B! It's just I can't stand Caecilia even the condensed version it's just too western looking to me. Nook was smart to grab Amasis. I'm looking forward to the new fonts on the Paperwhite.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #65
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Blossom, how do you add custom fonts to your K4B? Is that something that can also be done with the KTouch and the upcoming PaperWhite?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #66
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Inquiring minds convene.

As for the K4B and KPW difference, seems to me a lot of those differences are in software, so no reason the K4B couldn't be upgraded to provide the same experience, sans light and resolution.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #67
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
lucky americans
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #68
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Blossom: comparison pics of the custom font, if/when you can? thanks in advance.

I really like the black bevel. I don't know why Amazon hasn't done it til now (I guess one theory is they don't want to draw attention to the grayness of the "ink", but I think the gray bevel makes it worse, possibly)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #69
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
As for the K4B and KPW difference, seems to me a lot of those differences are in software, so no reason the K4B couldn't be upgraded to provide the same experience, sans light and resolution.
The biggest difference is that the KPW is a touch-screen reader. It also has a new screen with better resolution, and of course, the built in light. The battery life is better than the K4B too...
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #70
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The K4 has a smaller battery than the K5 (and probably the KPW). The battery is rated to give them the same time between charges with "normal" usage. The KPW battery will hold its charge longer at reduced screen brightness than at full brightness, so you have some control over it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #71
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
lucky americans
If you don't mind paying more, you can preorder (a PaperWhite) through an Ebay vendor. I see them at a $159.99 price, shipping worldwide. That's why Amazon imposed the 5 unit maximum order a few days ago.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #72
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
If you don't mind paying more, you can preorder (a PaperWhite) through an Ebay vendor. I see them at a $159.99 price, shipping worldwide. That's why Amazon imposed the 5 unit maximum order a few days ago.
Holy crap! I just looked on the german ebay site... some people really really want to make a fast buck. Paperwhite Wifi for €240 - that's $315, more than twice the original price! And that does NOT yet include customs & VAT, which will be charged on top and could be expected to be another 50€ or more.

Lucky are those who have friends in the US who are not trying to rip them off
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #73
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
€240? Those Germans drive a hard bargain.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@TimW: To give you a reference point, the Touch WiFi (no SO, as it's US-only) is sold @ 129€ on Amazon.fr...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #75
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Is there any difference between the new $69 Kindle and the old $79 Kindle? (Besides the obvious black vs grey.)
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote