Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I beg to differ on the ghosting. It still has ghosting. I went to a Sony Store in Mississauga today to play. It is whiter yes, it is also faster and no refresh flash but it still has ghosting issues. In that regard it's no different than the T1. Even the hubby noticed and he could care less about readers. lol

I'm torn on the buttons though. I wouldn't likely use them but I did find them to be a tad sharp. I can see it being a problem if you sit your thumb on it and use it to turn the pages rather than the touch screen.

The matte black seems a bit faded to me. It's not just a matte. It looks on the grey side of black if that makes any sense. It feels nice though. I saw the red and the white too. They're shiny and have the same smooth glossy surface as before. Very shiny.

I left the store without actually buying one!! *gasp* lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
T1 Deals Long Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frescard View Post
I just wanted to start a similar thread, asking whether, at this point, it'd be better to go with a T1 or a T2, but I guess that discussion would fit just as well into this one.

I currently don't have a reader (well, I have a Nook, but that will be returned).
I tried the Kobo, and I liked its form-factor, but the page changing was too erratic.
So I got the Nook, figuring the side buttons would be more reliable, but found them to be pretty useless, as the soft-spots are too small, and they require WAY too much pressure. So—now, with the justification for the wide bezel gone, I miss the slimness of the Kobo.
Which leaves the Sony as my last option...

With most retailers switching to the T2 sooner or later, I'm sure there will be good deals available for the T1 pretty soon.
So—is there any reason for a new buyer to wait for the T2, when you can get the T1 for significantly less? (Battery life is not an issue, as I will never be away from a power source for more than a few weeks, and I'm somewhat partial to the audio capability, as I don't have any other MP3-player, and might use it for the occasional audio book).

The buttons on the T2 seem a bit gimmicky, and I wonder if they work as well as the old ones. And is the screen quality noticeably better, or is it just a very marginal upgrade?
At least that is the story around Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill ("Research Triangle"), NC. I had my eye on a T1 on "clearance" for months at local Best Buy, and finally went for it just before our late July "beach week" vacation. It was the same display model I had been keeping watch on for months, and their last unit, so they marked it down from the $87 clearance price to $40, and I got the Sony book-cover type case for another $10.

I was quite happy with it (had fun with an Android root, but that did not seem to add much function/value as slow as the screen is), and it lasted almost a month. I think my wife tried jamming the USB charging plug in the wrong way when she took it on a family visit a few weeks later, and now it won't charge.

I took it almost completely apart to see if I could get the buttons/jacks assembly out to work on the USB jack, but one last screw holding the middle frame on top of it was a bit too tight, and I stripped the Phillips head slots before I realized what I was doing - arrgghh. I set it aside at that point (after re-assembling). Been watching eBay for a similar deal, but $60-70 seems as low as they go, and often closer to $100 when the bidders get into a frenzy

I will probably stick with the bigger, but still quite functional PRS-950 I have had, and not worry about another e-Ink model any time soon - the small form factor, easy rooting, and close-out price were all that really motivated me to get the T1. We did like the more compact and lighter characteristics versus the 950, but it is not that big a difference that I am willing to spend more than $50 for anything comparable for the few days of outdoor reading we might do in a year.

We have color Android tablets that are much more versatile, and can be used for casual reading as well. Actually, my Dell Streak 5 is just as light and easy to handle as the T1, and I am one of those whom prolonged LCD reading does not seem to bother (as long as I use night mode with white text on black background maximally dimmed), plus I can download directly from Barnes & Noble with the Nook app. B&N is my main ebook source since their books are so easy to decrypt for any of my other devices (including the Sony's).

It was a fun experiment, but I won't stretch my budget on another try with a small e-Ink reader.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
It was the same display model I had been keeping watch on for months, and their last unit, so they marked it down from the $87 clearance price to $40, and I got the Sony book-cover type case for another $10.
I didn't have that much luck here in Canada finding any "T1 Blowout Deals"...
I had made up my mind to go with the T1 after all, and thought it would be easy to pick up some "leftovers" for a good price, but after checking EVERY CHAIN in Montreal that used to have them (and having them check every location for stock) I came up empty-handed. There doesn't seem to be a single new T1 left in the whole city. A lot of stores already had the T2, but apart from some (abused) shop models there was nothing left.
I was able to order one online from Best Buy finally (for CAD119), but that was really my only option.

So... anybody else hoping for good clearance deal—don't get your hopes up too much. Mileage may vary in the U.S., but it looks like Canada pretty much used up their inventory already.
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
Zorac
Zorac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I had made up my mind to go with the T1 after all, and thought it would be easy to pick up some "leftovers" for a good price, but after checking EVERY CHAIN in Montreal that used to have them (and having them check every location for stock) I came up empty-handed. There doesn't seem to be a single new T1 left in the whole city. A lot of stores already had the T2, but apart from some (abused) shop models there was nothing left.
I was able to order one online from Best Buy finally (for CAD119), but that was really my only option.

So... anybody else hoping for good clearance deal—don't get your hopes up too much. Mileage may vary in the U.S., but it looks like Canada pretty much used up their inventory already.
i ran into the same thing, found a couple t1s at $119 (staples had them in stock), but for the extra $20, i figured id just get the newer model instead. even used, the t1s still seem to go for around $90 which is crazy.
Zorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #20
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If I do get a T2, and I am still very undecided, I will purchase from the US and not locally. The T2 will retail here in Australia for $179 and when I questioned that, I got the same old excuses.

So, order direct and save close to $30 in postage.

At this stage, I am not sure of the worth to upgrade my T1.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #21
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
What's new???
( no compatibility with previous T1 accessory)

I believe the covers for t1 and t2 are both interchangeable.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
I believe the covers for t1 and t2 are both interchangeable.
It depends on how your cover fits around the buttons. If your cover has only a thin strip to allow use of the narrow button on the T-1, that will likely interfere with the buttons on the T-2.

Otherwise, the T-2 should fit perfectly in the T-1 covers as long as you don't have the button space issue.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Sony Centres, not being in fact anything to do with Sony Corp, but a stand-alone seller of Sony stuff, have often been .......<snip>

And with a history of ....unhelpful .... info about the kit they want to sell to you. [ I speak from personal experience, as well as third party accounts.]
This is one of the reasons I opted for a Kindle as my first e-reader. I looked in two different Sony shops to see a 350/650 or T1 in action..... but I felt the staff were unhelpful, disinterested, and basically just a bit off-putting. One store let me see one but it wasn't working (?) the other store didn't have a demo model they could show me. I got the impression they weren't bothered as I wasn't looking to buy something like a £1000 TV.

As for the possibility of a reduced price on the T1 now the T2 is out..... I won't hold my breath!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
That was my point

Quote:

That was my original point - sorry for getting carried away with my ramblings about what happened after I got it.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Sony Centres, not being in fact anything to do with Sony Corp, but a stand-alone seller of Sony stuff, have often been ....... mistaken ...... with Sony info. But, they could have got it right this time - but don't bet your house on it.
And tardy with after-sales....
And not cheap.
And with a history of ....unhelpful .... info about the kit they want to sell to you. [ I speak from personal experience, as well as third party accounts.]

Which kind of helps explain why an awful lot of them are no longer in existence.
Well, the Sony Centre in Solihull said 3rd September. So, not the same, but, close
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
T2 Cautions:
  • More expensive than T1?
  • No audio
  • No rooting option (yet)
I would add: clunky hardware buttons. Another design blunder, like the T1 shiny bezel, which seems all about looking cool rather than being ergonomic. I predict that the T2 buttons will be a major reason people don't buy, just like the shiny bezel before it. Perhaps it is just a Japanese preference?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Just got my T2 (red). Some observations:
1. The Sony covers fit fine.
2. It recognizes added fonts the same as T1.
3. It is definitely significantly sharper and whiter.
4. Seems a bit lighter, though that may be my imagination.
5. Is more elegant than the red T1, as it doesn't have the metal strip for the buttons.

While it doesn't look very different, I think it's a significant improvement and I am keeping it.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorac View Post
................... even used, the t1s still seem to go for around $90 which is crazy.
The "right" price for anything used is what someone is willing to pay for it - so presumably, buyers are doing just that, setting the price ........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #29
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Canada - T1 + T2 stock

Quote:

In Canada, $119 is the cheapest I've seen the T1 as well, and I've been watching for quite awhile. Future Shop just got more in their online stock [previously showed as sold out for online, and only available in store].
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...7f1608ece9en02

Also, they are finally showing the T2's in stock for $139.99. They must be adding it as we speak because there are literally NO details [they all show as 'nil' for me right now]. I'd like to know what the 'Pottermore bundle' means exactly...
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...8c6e733fe4en02
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I'd like to know what the 'Pottermore bundle' means exactly...
Probably nothing more than that you can get a free copy of the first Harry Potter book with it (as mentioned here and elsewhere).
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote