Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #316
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
do I comment? I hate repeat things

P.s: my eyes are fine my hard-books are sad because I don't need them anymore

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-22-2012 at 11:34 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #317
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Valentinka I can answer you: Jetbook Color is a re-branded definitely Hanvon WISEreader C920 and it has an 800MHz CPU:

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-C920.html

and here is a JBC disassembled: you can see what it is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172098

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #318
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
@Valentinka I can answer you: Jetbook Color is a re-branded definitely Hanvon WISEreader C920 and it has an 800MHz CPU:

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-C920.html

mod186k1 ,

JBC is not JUST re-branded Hanvon WISEreader C920. Obvously some serious modifications were made to Hanvon WISEreader C920. Like this feature is completely missing: Dual Finger/Stylus Touchscreen Input

So Ectaco could easy substitute Hanvon's 800 MHz CPU with something else. Can you see JBC's CPU at this picture? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172098

P.S. Did somebody ever observe Hanvon WISEreader C920? Is it as slow as JBC is?

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #319
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
mod186k1 ,

JBC is not JUST re-branded Hanvon WISEreader C920. Obvously some serious modifications were made to Hanvon WISEreader C920. Like this feature is completely missing: Dual Finger/Stylus Touchscreen Input

So Ectaco could easy substitute Hanvon's 800 MHz CPU with something else. Can you see JBC's CPU at this picture? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172098

P.S. Did somebody ever observe Hanvon WISEreader C920? Is it as slow as JBC is?

Not necessarily. The changes can all still be firmware differences. Hanvon has their own technology similar to the Wacom stylus and may not have shared the firmware that can to the dual finger/stylus feature with Ectaco. Also it is much easier to use a different screen that it is to substitute a different processor internal to the motherboard. A different screen can easily be purchased. Apparent speed of the processor is very dependent on the software being used. It requires hardware engineering skills to use a different processor.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #320
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
do I comment? I hate repeat things

P.s: my eyes are fine my hard-books are sad because I don't need them anymore
mod186k1,

Your eyes are fine with JBC. My eyes are NOT fine with JBC at least with the light conditions I have (indoor and outdoor). Lets just not discuss this anymore.
There are a lot of students at Brooklyn Technical High. Some of them might have eyes like yours, some - like mine. We also don't know if the light conditions are perfect for JBC at Brooklyn Technical High and at students's houses. Maybe they are. I just don't know. And if the light conditions are not perfect, if the school and students are ready to invest money in improving the light in order to have LONG reading sessions with JBC COMFORTABLY.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #321
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not necessarily. The changes can all still be firmware differences. Hanvon has their own technology similar to the Wacom stylus and may not have shared the firmware that can to the dual finger/stylus feature with Ectaco. Also it is much easier to use a different screen that it is to substitute a different processor internal to the motherboard. A different screen can easily be purchased. Apparent speed of the processor is very dependent on the software being used. It requires hardware engineering skills to use a different processor.

Dale
Dale,

Thanks for your input into this discussion. I understand your point.
But my point is: if JBC REALLY has 800 MHz CPU, why Ectaco woudn't proudly list it in their official specifications? And considering how slow JBC is, this makes me wonder even more

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-22-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #322
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
I think it is appropriate to use the word "gadget" for JBC. I would say that it is even more appropriate to use the word "gadget" than word "eReader" in case of JBC since Ectaco advertises this device as being much more that just eReader: something like portable educational electronic device that you also can use as eReader. By the way, there is nothing bad about word "gadget". At least, here in US, ipad 2 is often called gadget. And I consider iPad as a very high quality electronic device.

This is exactly what I wanted to propose - to call Ipad 2 "a gadget" instead
I may be wrong, but I think Ipad is useful for two things only:
1. as a remote control for Samsung TV
2. it makes a good gift. For Christmas? A birthday present?

As to JBC - perhaps it is possible to peel off the color filter film and convert it into perl hd ? Anybody tried?

ProDigit,

you write:

30 cm is about right for a device like that.
On my 5" devices I read at about 20 cm distance.
If I keep my 5" reader about 22 cm from my eyes, I see about the same screen space, as reading the Jetbook Color at ~0.5 meters away

With 20 cm, you will destroy your eyes!

I think the minimal safe distance for reading books is about 40 cm.
A doctor ophthalmologist told me so.
No difference, printed or on an eReader.

It is not a question of seeing the same screen space on 5" page.
It is about focusing your eyes. Such a short focus distance puts a continuous strain on the eyes, on the muscles that keep the eyeballs in the shape needed for the corresponding focus distance.

When reading from farther away, the eye muscles are more relaxed.

I don't think the reading distance should depend on the size of the page.
Unless on a larger device you use also a larger font deliberately so you can read from much farther away.

I prefer relatively small font sizes regardless of the device size. Close to the smallest that are still used in printed paperbacks.
Just the size that is the most readable. When you see words, several words at once, not separate letters.

But even with relatively small font sizes, a comfortable reading distance for me is 40-50 cm.
Both with 9.7" and 6" readers. The same font size, the same distance, similar text width, only the margins are significantly different.

I never tried 5" but I see no way it could be used in portrait: you need at least 8 cm text width (not counting margins) for comfortable reading. Unless the font is very tiny - which would make reading a torture anyway.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #323
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
As to JBC - perhaps it is possible to peel off the color filter film and convert it into perl hd ? Anybody tried?
I wish I could. Very good idea, though.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-22-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #324
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you were to go to jetbook.net then to the jbc page, and read what is written there ...

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #325
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
If you were to go to jetbook.net then to the jbc page, and read what is written there ...

Luck;
Ken
Ken,

Thanks! With your help finally found it here http://www.jetbookk12.com/jetbookcolor/?refid=29532. The description of JBC (educational version, though) states: "With a dynamic speaker system and a Freescale i.MX508 800MHz with ARM Cortex A8 CPU the unit has instant response and functionality".

Does someone (who owns JBC) experience "instant response and functionality" most of time? Not me for sure. Maybe it is just for educational version?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #326
Valentinka
Zealot

Graphing Calculator

Visiting JBC's educational website inspired me to explorer JBC's Graphing Calculator. It went slowly but finally did it. At least here JBC is slow while doing complicated calculations and reproducing graph based on these calculations. Not just turning page or doing simple navigation through the device. Here are the pictures how it looked (evening, artificial light).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entering formula.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	824.7 KB
ID:	84382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	84383  

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-23-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #327
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I think the minimal safe distance for reading books is about 40 cm.
30cm is the minimum distance for a good vision on Triton to see an homogeneous colors. 40cm Is evne better!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #328
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
Visiting JBC's educational website inspired me to explorer JBC's Graphing Calculator. It went slowly but finally did it. At least here JBC is slow while doing complicated calculations and reproducing graph based on these calculations. Not just turning page or doing simple navigation through the device. Here are the pictures how it looked (evening, artificial light).
I think I have to take a video to show things a bit more objective.
Anyway, what kind of light do you have in your room? I can't see a screen so dark even when I am in subway with JBC
Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #329
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
I think I have to take a video to show things a bit more objective.
Anyway, what kind of light do you have in your room? I can't see a screen so dark even when I am in subway with JBC
Average light like in average American house I believe. We talked about it earlier. My DXG and Sony T1 look perfect with EXACTLY the same light. Since I hope to get rid of JBC sometime (I hope it will happen soon), I decided not to invest more money in changing our house's light conditions.

Edit: mod186k1, why do you think my pictures are not as objective as thet could be? All I am doing - is taking the pictures of JBC (and my other devices) with good quality camera in different light conditions. I am not making any modifications to these pictures (Photoshop and etc). And I try to describe these light conditions with every set of pictures I post here. And in my opinion your pictures of JBC (as well as pictures from other JBC's owners) don't look much different from mine. Just different light conditions on some of them (sunny Italy I guess). I am still waiting for clear sunny day here. So I can take JBC's pictures with as bright direct sunlight as possible in our geographical area at this time of the year, since lorenzoens asked me about this. I hope I will be able to do it before I can return my JBC. So far we had several rainy days in the row. It is not raining now but it is cloudy.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #330
mod186k1
Addict

Ok, I'm not American I ignore what "average" light is. Could you describe me the type of light? For example: "incandescent tungsten 60Watt white no-trasparent" or "halogen 200Watt" or "fluorescent energy-saving light 20Watt white" or "ultra energy-saving led light 8Watt", etc... ?