Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #121
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkjobse View Post
I just signed up to confirm the above. I also have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (jailbroken with Limera1n btw) and I can read an ePub, but my phone freezes after trying to close the Bluefire program.

Although I'm happy with the fact that there finally is an app that can read DRM protected ePubs, i'm not happy with the freezes and cannot use Bluefire for now. Happy to see this bug fixed!
We will see if we can fix the bug. Here's an interesting article about the challenges of app developers re: jailbroken ithingies http://bit.ly/9BgZjT
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #122
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
Micah -

RE: my comments about the highlighting UI: You're welcome. I've been an ebook advocate and PDF power user/developer since the mid 90s, so I'm definitely up on this stuff, and as you can tell, opinionated, too.

That said, I think you guys have done an excellent job with BFR. I've been able to move some DRM protected PDF files and books I bought for my 1st Sony reader, but never got around to reading because the PDF UI on a Sony reader leaves much to be desired.

Thank you for unlocking my previous investment on a platform much better suited for my purposes.

I bought my iPad on the hunch that it would be an ideal PDF reader, and BFR validates that hunch. My regards to the entire BFR development team.
Thanks for the kinds words. I agree that iPad is actually not a bad device for PDF. I'm just looking forward to retina display on iPad to make that so much crisper. I'm pleased with the "start" we have with our PDF view. Looking forward to making it much better.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #123
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Regarding new features. We have a Looooong list of things we'd love to implement. At this point we are focusing one release at a time, and adding the top-priority things. And, listening to our users to help build and prioritize that list. Of course, there's a matrix of desirability and difficulty - and revenue/cost considerations too. I think at this point it does not do much good for me to try to predict what/when we will have certain features, but rather to listen. And beyond a simple "bullet" point feature list, I'd be very interested to also hear detailed functionality ideas, rationales for priorities besides ("I like it"), technical strategies, open systems to integrate to and standards to support, etc.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #124
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

To clarify, I'm not at all against one-liner suggestions. Just trying to encourage those that might be willing to take the feedback/input further/deeper to do so.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #125
xristy
Connoisseur
xristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litterxristy doesn't litter

Device: iPad
BFR seems to have great potential as others have mentioned it liberate my Adobe DRM'd books for use on the iPad which is much more of a productive environment for me. I do research much more than recreational reading so I have some particular priorities. I'd very much like to see BFR evolve into a total reading and research solution.

The top new features I would vote for are:

1) ability to organize the library into shelves or folder or whatever metaphor - iBooks and Kindle don't have anything useful here but both Goodreader and iAnnotate have credible approaches to organizing large libraries (100s to 1000s of titles) Simply sorting by title or author or categories that might have been assigned by the publisher is not sufficient in a large library

2) less cumbersome highlighting - highlighting shouldn't imply a note and a bookmark
xristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #126
fredb
fredb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Kindle 3, iRex DR800
I really enjoy this new reader. I think that it's better than iBooks or Kindle apps because now you can choose the margins and the text fills better the screen.

I would really like to see a dictionary in the near future since I am not a native english...

But, eventually, thanks a lot for this great reader .
fredb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #127
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For me, perhaps, there would be two key features:

* Ability to access library works: with this you would cover all kind of DRM you find for ePub, so you can manage all your DRM-ed books.

* Ability to organize my books in tags/folders... as you like, so you can manage a lot of books.

My desire (not very important but something I would like a lot): to be able to see ALL the metadata as an option for each book
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #128
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Desired features

Public library books (in case didn't figure that out from my prior posts).
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #129
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
One suggestion that would be useful to me, would be for layout settings, font size, to be configurable per book. Many commercial ePubs specify vanishingly small font sizes and it would be good for them to be sticky.

Of course this is more a problem when switching rapidly between books to test BFR rather than actually reading the books!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #130
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Just to repeat: access to time-limited Overdrive (public library) books.
There are no other apps that can do this, so it would be an immediate killer feature to draw users to your app. General UI improvements are nice, but they are incremental things and you would still be competing against several other ePub readers.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #131
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Just to repeat: access to time-limited Overdrive (public library) books.
There are no other apps that can do this, so it would be an immediate killer feature to draw users to your app. General UI improvements are nice, but they are incremental things and you would still be competing against several other ePub readers.
What he said!!
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #132
atlpam
atlpam began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Count me as another one looking for ability to read public library loans downloaded with Overdrive & Adobe Digital Editions. I agree with some of the other posters that I would be willing to pay for an app that provides this capability.
atlpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #133
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'm liking Bluefire so far; I prefer ADE's rendering engine to iBooks, if only for custom font support, but is more user-friendly than txtr.

So far, I've only got a couple of quibbles/suggestions:

1) I have to restart the app (double-tap Home, hold on the icon, close it, then reopen it from the Home screen) for a new book to show up in the library. Note that I'm only adding from iTunes, not from within the app.

2) My eye keeps looking for the page counter by the title at the top of the screen. It's probably a case of "it's not what I'm used to", but moving it - or having the option to - would be nice.

3) I'd like to see the option to force justification of text in books.

4) I'd like to see the option to adjust brightness more directly, without going to the settings screen; Stanza's up/down swipe for this works great.

5) Seeing progress through the book is good; I'd also like to be able to see how much I have left in the chapter, though. Either include "page 3 of 5 in the chapter" above the overall page count, or add page numbers to the TOC. Or both.

Last edited by ATimson; 10-29-2010 at 08:10 AM.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #134
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Working hard on the Library Loan front. That is our top priority given all the feedback we've received.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #135
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I'm liking Bluefire so far; I prefer ADE's rendering engine to iBooks, if only for custom font support, but is more user-friendly than txtr.

So far, I've only got a couple of quibbles/suggestions:

1) I have to restart the app (double-tap Home, hold on the icon, close it, then reopen it from the Home screen) for a new book to show up in the library. Note that I'm only adding from iTunes, not from within the app.

2) My eye keeps looking for the page counter by the title at the top of the screen. It's probably a case of "it's not what I'm used to", but moving it - or having the option to - would be nice.

3) I'd like to see the option to force justification of text in books.

4) I'd like to see the option to adjust brightness more directly, without going to the settings screen; Stanza's up/down swipe for this works great.

5) Seeing progress through the book is good; I'd also like to be able to see how much I have left in the chapter, though. Either include "page 3 of 5 in the chapter" above the overall page count, or add page numbers to the TOC. Or both.
Thanks for your input.