Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
zzmijarevic
zzmijarevic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Windows multi-user features

Hello!

My friends and I have all started to use Calibre. However, we want to have a "shared" library.

Currently, we are using a windows network drive for storing the Calibre library. However, calibre instances run by concurrent users (users using the same library at the same time) on different machines are not synchonized.

Consequently, it would be nice to be able to run calibre in a multi-user environment/OS.

Is there a configuration or approach that could solve the issue of multiple users attacking the same calibre library?

Of course making Calibre totaly multi-user would be a little to much, maybe it would be enough to lock the library so that changes could be made by only one user at a time?

Thoughts? Workarounds?

Thanks.

Ps. Great job with the new versions making life easier with UNC filenames/folders!
p.p.s. As I understand, some of my question may be resolved by calibre 1.x

Last edited by zzmijarevic; 07-27-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added p.p.s.
zzmijarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmijarevic View Post
My friends and I have all started to use Calibre. However, we want to have a "shared" library.
1) Run the Content Server for read access and appoint one user to add/delete books.
or
2) Use Dropbox (higher risk).
or
3) Run both and pass a token to control who has the right to open up Calibre for read/write.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is worth pointing out that true multi-user access with distributed updating is on the Calibre roadmap - just do not expect it any time soon.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
1) Run the Content Server for read access and appoint one user to add/delete books.
or
2) Use Dropbox (higher risk).
or
3) Run both and pass a token to control who has the right to open up Calibre for read/write.
Idea number 1 above seems best. Using Dropbox helps multiple access but will not sync changes being made by multiple people at the same time.

But as Kovid has stated this is on his to do list sometime between now and version 1.0.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
zzmijarevic
zzmijarevic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
In regards to the DropBox idea, I used a similar approach - using Gladinet Cloud Desktop. Gladinet Cloud Desktop allows mounting a number of different online storage folders (see www.gladinet.com).

I tested Calibre with a mounted box.net folder and a folder synced with my FTP server (both using Gladinet). But, unfortunately the results are the same as with the DropBox approach because of the way Calibre opens and uses its database.

However, in terms of future development, approaches using DropBox and Gladinet are equivalent to using mounted disks or network drives in Windows. In such cases, better file handling is needed in Calibre. Alternatively, Calibre may be developed to directly use different storage maybe including something with a "social" dimension (something Mendeley is using).

Since I had only recently joined this forum, I didn't have the time to browse for all threads that may be related to multi-user / sharing features. I'd appreciate some pointers to relevant threads so I can contribute with ideas and experience (p.s. some threads are quite long and catching-up is tiresome).

Thx.
zzmijarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no significant threads on network backends for calibre, so if you have ideas, feel free to share here.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
ghane
ghane began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Multi-user plugins, or alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It is worth pointing out that true multi-user access with distributed updating is on the Calibre roadmap - just do not expect it any time soon.
Apologies, for jumping into the calibre party and asking about the competition :-)

Similar to other threads here, I am looking to share epubs (mostly self-generated) with half-a-dozen friends. Between us, security does not need to be high. Some web-interface to upload files, and a feed to download new ones? The software (eg, calibre) would run on a server in a DC, with no actual local user.

Either a paid plugin to calibre, or a totally different software?

Much thanks,
--

Sanjeev Gupta
ghane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The commonest way to achieve this as far as downloading ebooks is concerned is to use the Calibre Content server to give online access to the Calibre library.

If you do not want Calibre running on the machine that is doing the sharing then it might be worth looking at calibre2opds (possibly in conjunction with Dropbox) as an alternative approach.

As far as uploading books is concerned, then Dropbox is a good way of letting many people have a shared folder to which files can be added to later be added to the calibre library.

Last edited by itimpi; 06-06-2011 at 03:40 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
jamesbc
jamesbc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Idea for backend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There are no significant threads on network backends for calibre, so if you have ideas, feel free to share here.
Have you thought to use subversion as a backend?

You could have the gui start up a local server if the user doesn't specify that they have a server available. That way single users could use the app without any knowledge of anything changing, but power users could install a local server or a remote server (for situations where other users are off-site) for multiple users.

This would also have the benefit of being able to have unlimited undo of functions at the book level. For instance, I queue up the system to download metadata and covers for 20 books. I find that a single book looks weird. I could just click "undo last edit" and it would revert that one book back to the previous copy.

Just a thought.

James
jamesbc is offline   Reply With Quote