Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
GiggleGoddess
GiggleGoddess began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight (4th gen)
Question Adding books...can we specify SPECIFIC types of files to import?

I'd like to add books from my Downloads folder (which includes other files from my browser) but I don't want those other files like pdfs showing up (only EPUBs). Even after selecting the do not add certain file extensions (under the automatic adding tab) and then restarting the program every time I go to select add books from Directories (multiple books in directory) it keeps adding all the pdf files. I only want .epub files added. Is there ANY WAY to do this? I don't want to have to add ALL the files then go through and delete all the pdf files.

If there was a way to have all the .epub files download to a specific folder when downloading them I could just attach that folder to Calibre...but as it is all downloads from my browsers end up in the Downloads folder. Any and all information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by GiggleGoddess; 08-28-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: made a slight change to thread title to make it sound better
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@GiggleGoddess - exclusions work for me in Auto adding, did you hit the Apply after you ticked PDF in the list and did calibre tell you to do a restart, and did you do that - ie restart calibre?

I use a download manager that segregates downloads into separate folders by file type. In my Downloads folder I have subfolders for - Compressed, Ebooks, Music, Other, Software and Video.

The program I use is called Free Download Manager, I've been using it for years so whether I would choose it today is unknown. Search for Download Manager <your operating system>. Among other things (and this is not unique) it runs as a separate process, so if the browser crashes or I want to exit the browser then active downloads continue.

The attachment shows an example of how I have separate folders for different file types.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	127417  

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-28-2014 at 07:42 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
GiggleGoddess
GiggleGoddess began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@GiggleGoddess - exclusions work for me in Auto adding, did you hit the Apply after you ticked PDF in the list and did calibre tell you to do a restart, and did you do that - ie restart calibre?

I use a download manager that segregates downloads into separate folders by file type. In my Downloads folder I have subfolders for - Compressed, Ebooks, Music, Other, Software and Video.

The program I use is called Free Download Manager, I've been using it for years so whether I would choose it today is unknown. Search for Download Manager <your operating system>. Among other things (and this is not unique) it runs as a separate process, so if the browser crashes or I want to exit the browser then active downloads continue.

The attachment shows an example of how I have separate folders for different file types.

BR
Thank you for your response. I went back to the auto add tab and actually added the folder (before I hadn't since I didn't want those files to be deleted in case it took all the files - not just the epubs) and restarted it and it worked. I guess that folder/path needs to be put in on that one tab. I don't think it works when adding the folder manually (to differentiate between specific files).

I'll have to look into that program which separates the download files but since I figured out that auto add feature I may not have to worry about it since it worked.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

It would be a nice feature though down the road to be able to differentiate files Calibre grabs within a folder when manually adding book files (if you don't want to use the auto add feature or already have a folder it auto adds from).
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@GiggleGoddess - I have put a short cut to a separate AutoAdd folder in my Send to folder, I send things to it via Windows right click Send to. See attachment. Some of the things I download into my Downloads/Ebooks folder I don't want to add to calibre this addresses that issue.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2014-08-30 , 10_33_20.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	127481  

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-29-2014 at 08:41 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
.epub, adding books, downloading