Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why no AND in Tag Browser Searching... ?

If I click a value in the Tag Browser (e.g Author Bill Bloggs) it gets a Green Cross, and in the search bar I see
Code:
authors:"=Bill Bloggs"
If I now Shift or Control click something else in the Tag Browser (e.g. Format PDF) it too gets a Green Cross, and in the search bar I see
Code:
formats:"=PDF" or authors:"=Bill Bloggs"
But what I really want is
Code:
formats:"=PDF" and authors:"=Bill Bloggs"
Is there a way to 'and' search terms together via clicking things in the Tag Browser? Currently one has to overtype the 'or' with an 'and' in the Search Bar. Or use the Advanced Search Title/Author/Series Tab where its the reverse, if I select Author "Bill Bloggs" with formats "PDF" I get

Code:
author:"Bill Bloggs" and formats:"PDF"
Would it be possible to give the user some control over whether search terms are ANDed or ORed in the Tag Browser and Advanced Search Title/Author/Series Tab?

For example in the Tag Browser ctrl/Click could OR and shift/click could AND Search Terms - or Alt/Click could AND whilst and leaving both Shift and Control with OR to provide backwards compatibility.

The Advanced Search would probably need extra controls to toggle AND/OR between fields

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If I click a value in the Tag Browser (e.g Author Bill Bloggs) it gets a Green Cross, and in the search bar I see
Code:
authors:"=Bill Bloggs"
If I now Shift or Control click something else in the Tag Browser (e.g. Format PDF) it too gets a Green Cross, and in the search bar I see
Code:
formats:"=PDF" or authors:"=Bill Bloggs"
But what I really want is
Code:
formats:"=PDF" and authors:"=Bill Bloggs"
Is there a way to 'and' search terms together via clicking things in the Tag Browser? Currently one has to overtype the 'or' with an 'and' in the Search Bar. Or use the Advanced Search Title/Author/Series Tab where its the reverse, if I select Author "Bill Bloggs" with formats "PDF" I get

Code:
author:"Bill Bloggs" and formats:"PDF"
Would it be possible to give the user some control over whether search terms are ANDed or ORed in the Tag Browser and Advanced Search Title/Author/Series Tab?

For example in the Tag Browser ctrl/Click could OR and shift/click could AND Search Terms - or Alt/Click could AND whilst and leaving both Shift and Control with OR to provide backwards compatibility.

The Advanced Search would probably need extra controls to toggle AND/OR between fields

BR
Tag Browser: At the bottom: Alter...: Match type
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Its hardly obvious to an English speaker that Match Any means OR and Match All means AND, so its little wonder my Dutch and Thai colleagues couldn't work it out.

I can't see anything in the manual about Match Type - http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#tag-browser. And it doesn't have a hover hint - Calibre's hover hints are often easier to understand than the Calibre manual.

Match Type doesn't seem to have any effect on the Advanced browser

BR
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Its hardly obvious to an English speaker that Match Any means OR and Match All means AND, so its little wonder my Dutch and Thai colleagues couldn't work it out.

I can't see anything in the manual about Match Type - http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#tag-browser. And it doesn't have a hover hint - Calibre's hover hints are often easier to understand than the Calibre manual.

Match Type doesn't seem to have any effect on the Advanced browser

BR
Meet any of the terms
Must meet all of the terms

for lay persons

We know we need to do a Logical AND or OR
Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Match and Search are not synonyms, I suggest

Change "Match Type" to "Search Type",
Change "Match All" to "Search All (and)"
Change "Match Any" to "Search Any (or)"

I'd still prefer different modifier keys to select between All (and) and Any (or) and so would my linguistics and economics 'lay person' research colleagues.

Its the sort of thing one wants to make a decision about at the time the multi-tag search feature is being used. Wouldn't be so bad if one could see the current setting, but as it is one has to look behind Alter Tag Browser, and then behind Match Type, then remember than 'all' will give one an 'and' and that 'any' will give one an 'or', and then the phone rings...

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-21-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
i never knew that was here - is that preference saved or does the AND setting have to be selected every time ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i never knew that was here - is that preference saved or does the AND setting have to be selected every time ?
@cybmole it persists between executions, so whatever it was last time will be there next time.

BR
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Match and Search are not synonyms, I suggest

Change "Match Type" to "Search Type",
Change "Match All" to "Search All (and)"
Change "Match Any" to "Search Any (or)"

I'd still prefer different modifier keys to select between All (and) and Any (or) and so would my linguistics and economics 'lay person' research colleagues.

Its the sort of thing one wants to make a decision about at the time the multi-tag search feature is being used. Wouldn't be so bad if one could see the current setting, but as it is one has to look behind Alter Tag Browser, and then behind Match Type, then remember than 'all' will give one an 'and' and that 'any' will give one an 'or', and then the phone rings...

BR
The words apply to the patterns (used in Search)

It might be a term that translates better

or it may be
the terms are used in Filters and virtual Libraries

or it may be

just what Kovid chose