Notices

Old 01-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
lonly
lonly began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
epub editing

Hello Friends
i need help about editing epub book
1. i want to increase font size of some selected words but i cannot find any font size in calibre editing tool

2. i want to put limited words in one page and rest text i want to send next page

3. i am trying to give some space in selected paragraph by entering empty lines but when i click to save book and i open that book there is no any extra space in my selected paragraph

4. i want to change url color in blue and also clickable (currently its showing in normal text style and not clickable)

5. is that possible all chapter names are auto bold style and increase font size ?

kindly help me about it

thank you
lonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The calibre EPUB editor allows you to make changes to the HTML, CSS, and other files that make up an EPUB. It is up to you to understand HTML. It is not a WYSIWYG editor like MS Word.

You might be better off starting with a finished Word document and converting it to EPUB.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
lonly

but if someone will explain me about where i have to change setting in css file then i can do it
Old 01-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
This is a link to a site with a tutorial and reference material for css:

https://www.w3schools.com/css/

Things that will help (in the long run):

* use the right tags for the usecase (h* for titles/headings)
* always use classes to change the default of tags (no inline css!)
* name classes for the semantic not their style
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #5
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonly View Post
but if someone will explain me about where i have to change setting in css file then i can do it
> 1. i want to increase font size of some selected words but i cannot find any font size in calibre editing tool

You'll have to add a <span class="bigwords"> (for example) around the words you want to increase,
<span class="bigwords">some big words</span>
and in the css :
span.bigwords {font-size: 1.2em;}
The tool </> ("insert tag") in the toolbar can speed up this process.

> 2. i want to put limited words in one page and rest text i want to send next page

Split your page at the line you want the page break, each physical file always begins at a new page
At the bottom of the viewer widget, in the editor, you have a button to visually split the page.

(another way is to put as a last paragraph before the desired page break, a <p class="break"></p> and give it in the CSS the property "page-break-after: always;", but not all e-readers will aknowledge this setting).

> 3. i am trying to give some space in selected paragraph by entering empty lines but when i click to save book and i open that book there is no any extra space in my selected paragraph

Insert an html paragraph (normal spaces and linefeeds have no effect in html):
<p> </p>

> 4. i want to change url color in blue and also clickable (currently its showing in normal text style and not clickable)

You'll have to insert an <a href="some_url">clickable text</a> tag, see the site that Sunlite pointed to you to know how to do. In the css, you can define a custom color for unvisited and visited links.

> 5. is that possible all chapter names are auto bold style and increase font size ?

Be sure that all chapters have the <h1> selector and, in the CSS, give to them the properties you wish :
h1 { font-weight: bold; font-size: 1.5em;}
If you hit Ctrl-1 on the paragraph, calibre transforms it into a h1 paragraph.

----------

You also should have a look at another epub and how all this is done, it'll give you ideas and practical examples.

Last edited by lomkiri; 01-03-2022 at 12:27 PM.
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And just remember that W3c schools is a SUPERSET (used for WEB design) of what is used in EPUB. You can NOT use everything there.

I would suggest you first understand the Box Model (you can see that in action in the Editor Preview. Right click, inspect element) as it might help you understand what needs to be adjusted to effect results desired.
Note: Not everything can be done with simple (epub2) CODE. Nor should it be done, unless you don't care about wide device compatibility.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #7
lonly

page break button

@lomkiri Dear first thank you very much for the help

can you please point out where exactly is split page button in calibre editor
i tried to find but i cannot find that button

can you please tell me exact css file setting and other setting for table of content clickable which will jump to that chapter

thank you
Old 01-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Split page button is at the bottom of the PREVIEWER window.
BUT
You can use Split Multiple (right click), from the edit window if you can create a pattern.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
can you please tell me exact css file setting and other setting for table of content clickable which will jump to that chapter
Are you sure you want to do that ? All e-readers and all softwares can use the integrated ToC, much more practical than a physical ToC. You can normally access it from anywhere in the ebook, by a menu or an icon, at the opposite to a physical ToC that implies that you go back (or forth) to the page containing the Toc. Personally, I do the contrary of what you want, I always delete the physical ToC when it exists, I think it's an annoyance.

If your logical ToC doesn't exist, or doesn't satisfy you, calibre has a button on the toolbar (Edit ToC) to build it from scratch, or to modify an existent one. I advise you to use this feature rather than construct a home-ToC.

Anyway, if you really want to make a home ToC, if your epub is an epub3, you already have a file that may be used for this matter, it's the navigation file (nav.xhtml if it was built with calibre, it is flagged, in the file browser, with a little ToC icon). It contains (if your ToC is up to date) the links to all your chapters. If your epub is an epub2, calibre can upgrade it to epub3 with the menu "tools / upgrade epub internal".

It is normally not displayed in the book itself, but you have the possibility to make it visible modifying your opf file (e.g. contents.opf):
add in the <spine> part the line
<itemref idref="nav"/>
(if "nav" is the id of your nav-file, look for the id in the <manifest> part which file has the property "nav")

Save the epub. You can then arrange your file, put a title to it, a stylesheet, etc., as long you leave the list that is in the <nav epub:type="toc"> part.

If you still want to make something personal, take as a model the links that are in this file, this answers exactly to your question.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:12 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
There are options in the editor to generate the ToC. It can generate either the ToC for the format so that the ereader can handle it, or an inline HTML ToC. There is CSS for the former as that is handled by the ereader. The latter has CSS that you can edit.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #11
lomkiri
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It can generate either the ToC […]or an inline HTML ToC.
He he, the obvious way :-) I've never noticed this option (well, I never will need it either, since I don't like inline ToC). Thank you to point out this feature, more simple than the path I gave to lonly.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomkiri View Post
He he, the obvious way :-) I've never noticed this option (well, I never will need it either, since I don't like inline ToC). Thank you to point out this feature, more simple than the path I gave to lonly.
I don't use it either. I think I have used it one just to see what it generated and another time when debugging something strange. But, I knew it existed, and unlike some people around here, I have no issue with there being an inline ToC in an ebook. I don't add them when I fiddle with a book, but, I don't delete them either.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #13
lonly

words

thank you Alls for your previous help

now i want regex code for searching some chapter headings and replacing them to h1 format

all headings start with this word "chapter" after that word there are different words so kindly help me to find and replace all these in h1 format
what regex code exactly will be find that word "chapter"

example:
Chapter One: introduction
Chapter Two: what is learning
Chapter Three: how to start
etc

2. when i generate new page TOC inline i have to add every time some extra css code like text decoration underline and line height
is that possible i can save my TOC css code in calibre editor setting and every time when i generate toc inline page that setting auto add in css ?
Old 01-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You really need to learn basic REGEX. It will be worth the effort

I have a snippet for my replace. \1 is the REGEX Captured
Code:
<h3 class="chapno">\1</h3>
The search is done on the fly, based upon what is there and what I want:
Note I only work in code view, so I highlight the entire Chapter-title block.,Ctrl-F (that puts it into the find)
eg Original
Code:
<p class="calibre_12"><span class="calibre3"><span class="bold"><span><span class="calibre27">Chapter 4</span></span></span></span></p>
Adjusted Search:
Code:
<p class="calibre_12"><span class="calibre3"><span class="bold"><span><span class="calibre27">(Chapter \d+)</span></span></span></span></p>
In this case, I am looking ONLY for a block that contains Chapter followed by a space and 1 0r more DIGITS. This will not affect any other similarly styled block (Prologue|Epilogue|Forward...)

Check out our Wiki entry
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cal...n_introduction
Old 01-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #15
lomkiri
Zealot

Quote:
2. when i generate new page TOC inline i have to add every time some extra css code like text decoration underline and line height
is that possible i can save my TOC css code in calibre editor setting and every time when i generate toc inline page that setting auto add in css ?
Snippets can do that: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/snippets.html, paragraph "Creating your own snippets".
You save your code in a snippet, then, when needed, call it back with, e.g., toc+Ctrl-J (the part before Ctrl-J is up to you).