Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I keep a spreadsheet for audiobooks, which is the vast majority of my reading. It includes basic publication information and the year I read the book. I keep supplemental sheets by year, on which I also add in any e-books or print books, and chart the year of publication.

I don't include a synopsis or my comments; it's easier to look up the book online to remind myself about it. I generally remember the books that stand out, either because I loved them or because I hated them. Sometimes, though, even a synopsis doesn't spark my memory of something my spreadsheet clearly shows I've read. But if a book is that unremarkable, so what if I don't remember it?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
That all sounds like way too much effort to me. I just read and if I forget, I forget.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #18
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have a simple google sheet where I log new acquisitions and finished books. There's not much information there, so it probably won't help much with remembering what the book was actually like.

I start a new worksheet each year, and add and remove columns depending on what I feel I want to know that year and how it integrates with my challenges. I added page counts when I started including challenges based on that, for instance.

I also have a couple of other google sheets that might need updating - a TBR sheet where I delete the row when I've read it, and an ebook sheet which is just for paid ebooks, as well as occasional trackers for specific challenges - and my challenge page on here.

I quite enjoy the process of logging a finished book. It's like an extra little treat for finishing a book: woohoo, I can update my spreadsheets. Seems weird now I've written it down.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

I quite enjoy the process of logging a finished book. It's like an extra little treat for finishing a book: woohoo, I can update my spreadsheets. Seems weird now I've written it down.
Not at all, it's very understandable to me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #20
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I have a spreadsheet where I list all the books read, it started with just the basic information (title, author, series and the date) but it has evolved through the years to add more columns has needed, I don’t add comment’s about the books, but I have a rate system, this helps to decide if I want to buy a book from some authors, I can check if I have already read it and what kind of rating other books had. I also like to see how my reading habits have evolved through the years, so I have the data gathered and have some simple graphs.

I use caliber only for the books that I own, so it is not practical for me since I also read library books and use KU and scribd and I prefer to have it all in one location.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #21
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Almost everything related to my reading is managed in Calibre. I have a custom column named "reviews" where I leave a write-up on books I either loved or hated (think gush or vent ); everything else just gets a rating. I keep my highlights and notes in Readwise.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Goodreads.

“Did you know?”: you can create a profile on Goodreads that nobody will see. Restrict it to Only Friends and then don’t accept any Friend requests. But it seems rather sad.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I keep a spreadsheet for audiobooks, which is the vast majority of my reading. It includes basic publication information and the year I read the book. I keep supplemental sheets by year, on which I also add in any e-books or print books, and chart the year of publication.

I don't include a synopsis or my comments; it's easier to look up the book online to remind myself about it. I generally remember the books that stand out, either because I loved them or because I hated them. Sometimes, though, even a synopsis doesn't spark my memory of something my spreadsheet clearly shows I've read. But if a book is that unremarkable, so what if I don't remember it?
I’m not very listy, but the one thing I do regret is that I don’t have a searchable/organizable file by narrator of audiobooks I’ve listened to. I do include the name in my GoodReads listing, but it’s never going to be worth clicking on every single audiobook to access the info.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting idea. I'd never considered putting info in Calibre about a given book. There is also Goodreads which has something similar I think. I've never been one to keep such a journal, it just never occurred to me to do so.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #25
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m not very listy, but the one thing I do regret is that I don’t have a searchable/organizable file by narrator of audiobooks I’ve listened to. I do include the name in my GoodReads listing, but it’s never going to be worth clicking on every single audiobook to access the info.
I'm very 'listy' and I have custom columns in Calibre for both narrators and translators. I keep detailed info about my books; I started when my library was still relatively small, and now it doesn't take much time to manage on a day-to-day basis. Library management is quite soothing to me
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At one point in time, I did keep records but after a few years (around 1998), I decided my time was better spent reading since I very seldom looked at the records after I had created them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogu View Post
Do you have a reading journal or log of some sort? What sort of things do you keep in it? Do you do digital or paper or both? Do you find it fun or a bit of a chore?
No, I've never done that. Not that organized (and I'm too lazy).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
That all sounds like way too much effort to me. I just read and if I forget, I forget.
That's me. If I really like a book I read it more than once. For me, having a poor memory makes reading it the second time more enjoyable.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For me reading is absolutely not a social activity and I very seldom visit Goodreads ...
Same way I look at it (unless I really like a book and want to let people know about it). As for Goodreads, I've never been there, so I have no clue what it's all about.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
The stats at The StoryGraph are constant source of fun, and the site also offers a reading journal function for notes and comments on books as one reads them. Great for the book data nerd who doesn't want Amazon swallowing all that data.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote