Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
After COVID boom, ebook aggregators face licensing questions from Congress

It's about time someone started asking the publishers about these ridiculous agreements they force the libraries into with regard to ebooks.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/18/...-harpercollins
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
“In recent years, e-books have been a growing part of library catalogs. Not only do many library users prefer to borrow e-books, but digital options can provide greater accessibility for Americans who have disabilities, face mobility challenges, or live in remote areas,”

Not just in the US, but for all countries. Also noted the educational aspects of making ebooks more accessible to public libraries.

Now to watch big publisher lobbyists at work ...
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2021, 02:01 AM   #3
Nonya
Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nonya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara HD
Translation: "You need to start donating to our campaigns."
That's literally what it is.
After the U.S. DoJ sued Microsoft to try to break it up, Microsoft invested millions in lobbying after the case was settled and you never heard a word from politicians about Microsoft ever again.
So when a politician starts talking about the need to reign in "big tech" all they're talking about is "give me that campaign cash!"
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Many states are making laws in regards to licensing ebooks to libraries, that have actually passed through. I don't think that the government is going to break up any publisher, but I'm hoping more states create laws to make ebooks more accessible to libraries.

I'm one of the people who got into ebooks thanks to COVID lockdowns, and I'm glad there's more eyes on this
issue. Not holding my breath, but here's hoping more changes are coming, whether at the state or federal level.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
Translation: "You need to start donating to our campaigns."
That's literally what it is.
After the U.S. DoJ sued Microsoft to try to break it up, Microsoft invested millions in lobbying after the case was settled and you never heard a word from politicians about Microsoft ever again.
So when a politician starts talking about the need to reign in "big tech" all they're talking about is "give me that campaign cash!"
Bingo.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I can remember at least one time that I got on the 'borrowing list' for my local library and never did get to borrow the book in question. The library could only loan that book out (I forget the title) so many times before having to renew the agreement so when the allotted amount of times it was loaned ran out they just didn't let anyone borrow it after that. I think they erased the borrow list (I can't recall for sure as it was several yrs back). the upshot of it was I never got to borrow the book.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
“In recent years, e-books have been a growing part of library catalogs. Not only do many library users prefer to borrow e-books, but digital options can provide greater accessibility for Americans who have disabilities, face mobility challenges, or live in remote areas,”

Not just in the US, but for all countries. Also noted the educational aspects of making ebooks more accessible to public libraries.

Now to watch big publisher lobbyists at work ...
I agree about the accessibility of ebooks. As long as someone has an internet connection they can borrow/buy an ebook from anywhere. With paper books on the other hand you either have to make your way to a book store or order a book that may take weeks to arrive. In 1988 when I was on a boy scout camp staff our 'international scout' was from Sri Lanka. He wrote a letter home early in the summer (it was a six week camp season) and after that he returned home. He ended up beating his letter home to Sri Lanka. I don't imagine the mails are much faster now either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote