Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 04:26 PM   #136
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Thanks Kevin, will give it a try.

Concerning save times, I am aware of what modifications will cause a modification in another file. Perhaps I am misunderstanding various zlib implementations. Elsewhere for example, BBEdit can open zip archives and edit in place. Grep search and replace in the whole archive is very fast so I use that. Plus it has a dialog showing all matches per file like some editors so I can more easily browse them and see what I want to change.

Won’t mention such again unless I figure out maybe it is possible to modify some temp archive and then overwrite original. If it were possible, copy is supposed to be instantaneous on newer file systems that use snapshots. Perhaps zlib doesn’t operate as for example zip -u …

Concerning zlib, the native macOS library is supposed to be much faster, 60+ percent?, at unarchiving. Maybe Qt is already using such.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #137
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Concerning plugins seems like I need to eventually try writing some. It seems many are not in the habit of sharing them alternatively thru some repo. Maybe there could be a way to encourage some who are used to such? Maybe a GitHub repo also for plugin index and some info to perhaps encourage such use to help others contribute and possible learn from them as examples?
Advert
Old 01-14-2022, 05:22 PM   #138
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
We already have a Plugin Index thread that lists all of the plugins developers have shared so far. It is in the sticky thread of our plugin sub forum here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247431

The plugin developer docs are here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ork_rev13.epub

These plugins are specially laid out zip archives that contain the python source code so that you can see and edit it as needed. A few people do use github repos for their plugins. You can search github to find most of them.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-14-2022 at 05:33 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #139
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is either uncompressing the file or using zgrep directly on the file contents inside the zip. If you make changes that exceed the previously saved compressed file size, new records for that file in the zip are instead created at the end, or entire sections are rewritten leaving space for the new file contents.

Again, a zip is not a filesystem, its is a entry for each file, a header and a pointer to the compressed file contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Thanks Kevin, will give it a try.

Concerning save times, I am aware of what modifications will cause a modification in another file. Perhaps I am misunderstanding various zlib implementations. Elsewhere for example, BBEdit can open zip archives and edit in place. Grep search and replace in the whole archive is very fast so I use that. Plus it has a dialog showing all matches per file like some editors so I can more easily browse them and see what I want to change.

Won’t mention such again unless I figure out maybe it is possible to modify some temp archive and then overwrite original. If it were possible, copy is supposed to be instantaneous on newer file systems that use snapshots. Perhaps zlib doesn’t operate as for example zip -u …

Concerning zlib, the native macOS library is supposed to be much faster, 60+ percent?, at unarchiving. Maybe Qt is already using such.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-15-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #140
democrite
Evangelist

Hello, I noticed some fix for spine order bugs. Not sure if such fixes one issue. Haven’t tested or made a new build in a little while.

One thing is that many EPUBs may not list chapter sections in the TOC. So after moving nav to be the last file, I often make a copy and then rename to for example nav2. Just in case not all needed toc entries exist as headers so afterwards I can copy and paste if necessary. After the rename, spine order changes and it is placed as second to last. Not sure if such happens in all cases of such copying and renaming. Maybe that can be fixed if not yet?
Advert
Old 02-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #141
KevinH
Sigil Developer

There is a plugin which will take an existing nav or ncx and extract the info and add it to heading tag title attributes and things so that rebuilding it should not lose anything.
Itherwise do a file save in BookBrowser on nav and store copy outside the epub.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:28 PM   #142
democrite
Evangelist

Thanks for mention of the plugin. Looks interesting.

Haven't tested much though when I make major changes to NAV, I prefer a copy of the original, set as linear="no". I may remove other nav elements such as list of tables, figures, etc., remove, modify, or re-create them.

The plugin too as you know, adds new hidden elements. Sometimes an id maybe in a separate element from TOC destination; seems in such cases when a hidden element is added. Changing the structure w/such new elements messes up locations, such as highlights, annotations, external links, etc. when in cases when I may make corrections/edits and then replace the original in some reader.

Maybe other issues. I still prefer a backup of original nav/ncx just in case. Maybe the plugin could be improved by instead of hidden elements, creating comments. Yet, my request was just a minor thing in some specific case of renaming the last file, spine position changes. A fix someday would be great if possible.

Overall, it's the refinement of various things I wish were better. e.g., to convert to EPUB3, I'd prefer one step, one shortcut or menu item, then save, done, without the various additional mouse movements, clicks/taps, keystrokes, replacing original in file manager, reopening, again setting sigil norm, etc.

Last edited by democrite; 02-04-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:45 PM   #143
KevinH
Sigil Developer

This thread is about ideas to help general users of Sigil and should not include things better done in a plugin, or outside Sigil as was stated in the thread.

Specific changes should be requested that help **multiple** users, not just things specific to your unique work flow.

Sigil will not be duplicating functionality of existing plugins. And all plugin code is available to be modified as needed, if you want changes.

The nav is updated by Sigil when Sigil is used to rebuild the Table of Contents, when semantics are added, etc. The Nav must be kept machine readable and follow the nav spec closely at all times. That said, heading tags and Sigil's Edit ToC tools can be used to make headings generate the Nav you want. Headings are always to right place to make changes for Accessibility reasons and any TOC (Nav, NCX) should be rebuilt from them.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-04-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:08 PM   #144
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, this appears to *not* be an issue in current master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Hello, I noticed some fix for spine order bugs. Not sure if such fixes one issue. Haven’t tested or made a new build in a little while.

One thing is that many EPUBs may not list chapter sections in the TOC. So after moving nav to be the last file, I often make a copy and then rename to for example nav2. Just in case not all needed toc entries exist as headers so afterwards I can copy and paste if necessary. After the rename, spine order changes and it is placed as second to last. Not sure if such happens in all cases of such copying and renaming. Maybe that can be fixed if not yet?

Last edited by KevinH; 02-05-2022 at 01:13 PM.