Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Snowflake Pro is now Free!

Snowflake Pro, the software from Randy Ingermanson, is now free. This used to cost about £100 to buy. Apparently, the burden of requests for more features etc was something he didn't want to deal with.

I found out about this from the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UdYlEhAuTE

Randy explains why it's free, and the conditions for downloading it here:
https://www.advancedfictionwriting.c...ownload-again/

Basically, you either have to already own an older copy of the software, or to have bought his book (I bought a kindle version of the book from Amazon.)

I haven't tried the software yet as I'm in full flow writing something with Scrivener, which I still haven't taken the plunge to upgrade. I downloaded it and briefly played; Novel Factory (I have the desktop version) does much the same thing, but in a simpler form.

Anyway, someone might find it useful.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you for the info. It looks like he's contributing ideas to Plottr, which is what I'm currently using in the Demo mode.

When my Demo of Plottr ends, I'll either be subscribing or I'll buy the software.

Also, I just purchased Highland 2, which is GREAT for just writing.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-21-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2021, 01:44 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Also, I just purchased Highland 2, which is GREAT for just writing.
If I owned a Mac I'd buy Highland 2. As it is I can come pretty close with Fountain-Mode in Emacs and 'Afterwriting CLI in Linux (but not for normal writing).

Beat is another Mac-only, Highland-like application. It looks pretty good and it's free (though you can donate). I don't know if that one has the ability to do standard writing, however.

https://www.kapitan.fi/beat/
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:11 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've taken a look a Plottr and come to the conclusion that it's far too expensive for what it does. Scrivener does far more and is much less expensive. I like Plottr's timeline, but Scrivener 3 has this too.
But that's just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've taken a look a Plottr and come to the conclusion that it's far too expensive for what it does. Scrivener does far more and is much less expensive. I like Plottr's timeline, but Scrivener 3 has this too.
But that's just my opinion.
I came to the same conclusion, it's nice, but WAY too spendy for a hacker like me.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If I owned a Mac I'd buy Highland 2. As it is I can come pretty close with Fountain-Mode in Emacs and 'Afterwriting CLI in Linux (but not for normal writing).

Beat is another Mac-only, Highland-like application. It looks pretty good and it's free (though you can donate). I don't know if that one has the ability to do standard writing, however.

https://www.kapitan.fi/beat/

Thank you for the info on Beat. I'm going to check that one out right now.

ADDED: I see it's for screenwriting, whereas I do fiction. (Still, it appears to be a great bargain.) By the way, Highland 2 may appear to be primarily for screenwriting, but it's also promoted as a tool for Fiction writers.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-23-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I came to the same conclusion, it's nice, but WAY too spendy for a hacker like me.

You might, then, wish to check out babisco. They have a Free version, and a one-off version for [$20.00 ?].

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-23-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Also, let me add that there is a completely free version of Papyrus Author, if one needs a word processor.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
ADDED: I see it's for screenwriting, whereas I do fiction. (Still, it appears to be a great bargain.) By the way, Highland 2 may appear to be primarily for screenwriting, but it's also promoted as a tool for Fiction writers.
I think the novel (standard) writing feature in Highland 2 is relatively new. At least I think that's the case, I'm on the outside looking in.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #10
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
You might, then, wish to check out babisco. They have a Free version, and a one-off version for [$20.00 ?].
Yes, I've tried Babisco, it's quite nice. I own Scrivener, but I find myself using Wavemaker Cards the most. It too, is free and is a PWA (Progressive Web App). It runs as a program in any Chrome based browser, or as a standalone app using the Chrome browser infrastructure. And, it saves your project locally or online in Google Drive.

This means I can use it on ANY platform that has a chrome-based browser (I use Microsoft Edge). I personally use it on my PC, and my Samsung 10 inch A10 (2019 version) with a BT keyboard or mouse. Theoretically, I could use it on my Android phone, but I've never been into pain in a big way.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 06-23-2021 at 07:23 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the novel (standard) writing feature in Highland 2 is relatively new. At least I think that's the case, I'm on the outside looking in.
I'm uncertain how new it is, but it's wonderfully in tune with the way I write, in addition to having a number of pluses that assist in the writing process.

I wish it could save directly in .docx, because I also own Vellum and I really like the final formatting features of that program, which requires a .docx file for import.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:59 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Do you mean Bibisco? Not being pedantic, just wondering if you're refering to a different software. I have the free version of Bibisco on my pc; the nagging Only For Paid Version which appears when trying to use some options is really annoying.
Not sure it's worth paying for.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you mean Bibisco? Not being pedantic, just wondering if you're refering to a different software. I have the free version of Bibisco on my pc; the nagging Only For Paid Version which appears when trying to use some options is really annoying.

It looks like I misspelled that sucker. Yes, I meant bibisco.

Interestingly, the name of the program - like calibre - is intentionally not capitalized (or was, at least, when calibre was first introduced).

By the way, I would like to clarify: Plottr is $25 per year. For me, that's quite reasonable, although I realize that the asking price may be too much some people, or that the program might not do enough to justify the price for some writers.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-24-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
0x6c616d70
HP: 9%
0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Interesting, I've bought a copy of his book, but never had gone around reading it from cover to cover. Looks like this is a good opportunity to go over it.
0x6c616d70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
It doesn't look remarkably different than anything else, from Novel Factory to Power Structure to Scrivener to Dramatica Pro and ad nauseam. I mean, seriously, how many different ways can you see/say the same thing?

Anybody here think it's special? I'm genuinely curious. If something gains popularity, I need to stay up with it for all the obvious reasons.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, snowflake method, writing software