Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #16381
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Sunday promises to be charming: snow & sleet in the morning, changing to freezing rain, then to rain .....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #16382
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup! Iced in and watching the snow & ice slowly melt outside.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #16383
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Woke up yesterday to 13" of snow. We just moved to this house January 3rd, and our little "city" snowblower was no match for the white stuff. Fortunately, the neighbors across the street are helpful. Looked out and saw him start on our drive after he finished theirs.

They brought us a meal our 3rd night here too. I made some Lemon Bread mini loaves and took them over as a thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47694BF7-7CDF-42E2-B849-7844AE08DFC2.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	191685   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D736836-8A81-4894-942A-628AAC067550.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	191686  
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #16384
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Woke up yesterday to 13" of snow. We just moved to this house January 3rd, and our little "city" snowblower was no match for the white stuff. Fortunately, the neighbors across the street are helpful. Looked out and saw him start on our drive after he finished theirs.

They brought us a meal our 3rd night here too. I made some Lemon Bread mini loaves and took them over as a thank you.
that's too much white. I'd freeze my tail off in that kind of climate.

You have a fantastic neighbor
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #16385
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
that's too much white. I'd freeze my tail off in that kind of climate.

You have a fantastic neighbor
We've not had this much snow at one time in years. I think we average about 35-40" over the winter, but it's usually very spread out.

We spent 2 winters in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when we were first married. There was over 200" of snow the second winter. First snow came in October, you didn't see the ground again until April.

The new house is located about 15 miles north of where we used to live. Now in the secondary snow belt, not quite the primary. But compared to the UP, this is nothing.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:40 PM   #16386
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Another round of snow arriving Friday ... oh joy ...
Old 01-19-2022, 12:13 AM   #16387
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
We've not had this much snow at one time in years. I think we average about 35-40" over the winter, but it's usually very spread out.

We spent 2 winters in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when we were first married. There was over 200" of snow the second winter. First snow came in October, you didn't see the ground again until April.

The new house is located about 15 miles north of where we used to live. Now in the secondary snow belt, not quite the primary. But compared to the UP, this is nothing.
I lived in North Dakota for several years and never had anywhere near that amount of snow.

Growing up, I lived in all sorts of climates. For me, the extremes were the upper plains, desert southwest, and semi-tropics. If I had to choose from those three, I'd take the desert southwest of southern New Mexico.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #16388
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
It has been cold -- about 34 during the day with my app telling me it "feels like" 25. I did get out today for first time since Friday. I was in for three days in a row, partly because it was so cold and then the snow (we only got a little and a lot of rain Sunday night).

Having more trouble with not having enough heat in the apartment. I've been in touch with the super a number of times since Sunday. Problem started last Wednesday with suddenly having only a little heat but in a legal range (68). But it has gotten colder. Gets up to about 68 but drops often and then no heat during the night (also legal). Texted the super when I got home at 8pm about how it being 67 with almost no heat coming from radiators -- too early for it to shut down for the night. He said the boiler company is coming back tomorrow (they were apparently here Tuesday morning after I complained to super again). You would think that heating a small old building with 20 apartments was rocket science. I would have called 311 today but I thought they were working on it. I should warn the management first.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:38 AM   #16389
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Sunny and relatively mild here, following a few days of fog and severe frost.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #16390
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
It has been cold -- about 34 during the day with my app telling me it "feels like" 25. I did get out today for first time since Friday. I was in for three days in a row, partly because it was so cold and then the snow (we only got a little and a lot of rain Sunday night).

Having more trouble with not having enough heat in the apartment. I've been in touch with the super a number of times since Sunday. Problem started last Wednesday with suddenly having only a little heat but in a legal range (68). But it has gotten colder. Gets up to about 68 but drops often and then no heat during the night (also legal). Texted the super when I got home at 8pm about how it being 67 with almost no heat coming from radiators -- too early for it to shut down for the night. He said the boiler company is coming back tomorrow (they were apparently here Tuesday morning after I complained to super again). You would think that heating a small old building with 20 apartments was rocket science. I would have called 311 today but I thought they were working on it. I should warn the management first.
There are very good safe space heaters. Also smallish non-vented propane heaters. We have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...ps%2C88&sr=8-5

We bought it years ago when the area we lived in had several long term power outages due to overgrown trees along the power lines. We were able to keep the family room warm enough to save the house plants during a 2 full day outage in 20 degree weather.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #16391
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Another round of snow arriving Friday ... oh joy ...
But SNOW this time, not this accursed ice.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #16392
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
There are very good safe space heaters. Also smallish non-vented propane heaters. We have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...ps%2C88&sr=8-5

We bought it years ago when the area we lived in had several long term power outages due to overgrown trees along the power lines. We were able to keep the family room warm enough to save the house plants during a 2 full day outage in 20 degree weather.
Thanks. I have a vornado space heater that I purchased about 8 years ago. At the time I was getting home from work at 1:30 am after heat went off and I was up for a few hours. Con Ed bill charged me hundreds of extra for that and they spread it out over several months. I couldn't believe it would cost so much to run a heater for 3 hours x 5 days. I have not used it since. I was considering using it today but didn't.

The heat has been off since Tuesday night. A boiler repair company was downstairs today but they didn't get the job done. Super sent me a text that it would be 2-3 days. I should have gotten in touch with the managing agent (who probably knows what is going on since the super has to have approvall for outside repairs) and then call 311. I thought they were in the process of fixing it, but 2-3 days? A neighbor ran into super's wife and she said it might be fixed Thursday. I called 311 on them about 5 years ago, but when the inspector came, the temp was high enough at 68. It has been 58 in here all day. (It was at 63 at 2:30 this. morning when I was going to bed.) I am wearing layers of shirts with a pullover hoodie and socks. I hate to wear socks at home, but it's necessary now.

Weather was clear and 48 most of the day and 46 tonight. It is going down to freezing overnight and will snow in the morning. It is not likely to accumulate much. After that it will be much colder. All the more reason that the boiler repair is an emergency.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:15 AM   #16393
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Tonight's forecast is snow for us, too. In the past 24 hours the estimates have covered the range of less than 1 inch to more than 4 inches.

We live on the side of a ridge, on the downhill side of the street. I'll be moving my car up to the street tonight.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:24 AM   #16394
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Storm system predicted to shift east - we were in the 2 - 5" snow zone, now we are in a winter weather advisory zone - less than an inch - sorry @astrangerhere - guess the weather deities heard my laments

Of course it could all shift west again tonight ...
Old 01-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #16395
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Nothing but rain in the forecast here though the BC interior is slated for more snow.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty