Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 AM   #331
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks the screen on the HD3 is pretty much the same as on the GL4. (Does anyone know how many LEDs the GL4 has? The HD3 has 13, 7 white, 6 amber.
Doesn't the GL4 have the new Carta 1200 screen?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #332
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Doesn't the GL4 have the new Carta 1200 screen?
I believe so. But trying to nail that down isn't easy. Here is what The eBook Reader says:

Quote:
It has a 300 ppi E Ink screen, but they’re presumably using the newer E Ink screen with darker blacks because B&N says it has “enhanced contrast”.
It's like B&N consider the Nook to be top secret. It's a shame.

In the comments section, this message really spoke to me:

Quote:
Great hardware. Barely adequate software. Retail stores that are apathetic about the product. That’s how I’d summarize a decade of trying to use Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:59 AM   #333
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
...like you say, you'd (I'd) probably never use 5 GBs anyhow. It's just, "why?" Why are they doing this?
Yeah. Seriously, that is the question to put to someone high up at B&N. It's a stupid thing and feels like an insult.

Quote:
You can get a PocketBook HD3 for $10 more. It has 16 GBs of memory, ADE built-in, it's "waterproof" (resistant?), it's lighter, has page turn buttons and is much more open. It even has TTS built-in (via BlueTooth) with a choice of multiple voices for most languages, and it supports audio books -- and I can buy and open books directly on the device from those who sell DRM ePubs. Or borrow from OverDrive directly from the (slow) eInk browser.
Everything you say is undoubtedly true. But I like the design of the Glowlight 4 a lot more than I do the Pocketbook. The placement of those page turn buttons seems awkward.

I most appreciate the buttons when I'm reading in bed, holding the thing above my head and can hold the Nook in one hand and use the thumb of the same hand to turn the pages. On my Clara I have to use my other hand to turn the pages as shifting my hand would cause the reader to drop on my stupid face. The placement of those buttons seems like they wouldn't be much more useful to me than no buttons.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #334
Renate
Fanatic
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I most appreciate the buttons when I'm reading in bed...
Come to the dark side and get a clicker. Then you can just stand your reader anywhere.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:55 AM   #335
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Come to the dark side and get a clicker. Then you can just stand your reader anywhere.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:19 PM   #336
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Everything you say is undoubtedly true. But I like the design of the Glowlight 4 a lot more than I do the Pocketbook. The placement of those page turn buttons seems awkward.
I have to agree with you on the placement of the buttons. I'm just saying, feature by feature, the HD3 (which has no real bookstore in the U.S. and so is not subsidized) still competes well against the Nook at $150. If you're going to give the lion's share of the memory to Nook books, that should subsidize the 32 GBs of memory. (I'm thinking that the GL4 will eventually drop to $130 instead of $120.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:27 PM   #337
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 5, Onyx Nova 2, Onyx Note Air 2, Nook Glowlight 4
My GL4 updated by itself this afternoon. Current version: 8.1.1.118/5.6.1.35

I haven't noticed any new features yet!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:25 PM   #338
ready2read
ready2read began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
My GL4 updated by itself this afternoon. Current version: 8.1.1.118/5.6.1.35

I haven't noticed any new features yet!
I think the update had something to do with the reader displaying a “too cold” statement. This was mentioned in the reviews by a few people. Of course it is only a guess.
ready2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #339
luisrodl
luisrodl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
Grettings all! Thanks to all who have replied in this thread and have experimented with the Nook GL4. I had a Nook years ago and reading all of the impressions here made me order the new one and check it out. Just a quick report on everything I have done.

I activated developer options, activated USB Debugging, and selected the MTP option for USB connections. after I did this, I got access to the full amaount of storage of the Nook, not only the 5gb. So with that option, we do not have to worry about only having access to the 5gb partition.

Afterwards I sideloaded F-Droid and RelaunchX, which is a home launcher/file explorer optimized for ereaders. With F-Droid, I installed Aurora Store to make up for not having the Play Store. I installed from F-Droid Koreader and Libreria, still testing them both to see which one I use. I installed EinkBro for internet browsing.

Feom the Aurora Store I installed Jtouch, an onscren button that can be as a back, home, and recents button using taps and gestures. As mentioned in another post, KeyMapper allows to configure the buttons to work in all reader apps. I installed the Kindle app, and as others mentioned, it did not open books at first. But after I restarted the Nook, it worked perfectly. The Libby app for renting library ebooks works perfectly. I am still testing, but right now the GW4 is working as a standard Android ereader.

I am continuing to tinker and configuring it to my liking, but if you are willing to sideload and put in a bit of work, I think this is an amazing ereader for the price. You are not tied at all to the Nook or B & E ecosystem, and you have a lot of possibilities for configuration even without root. Thanks again to all the information that was provided by everyone here and if I can help in any way to anyone please let me know!
luisrodl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook