Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #136
democrite
Addict
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Thanks Kevin, will give it a try.

Concerning save times, I am aware of what modifications will cause a modification in another file. Perhaps I am misunderstanding various zlib implementations. Elsewhere for example, BBEdit can open zip archives and edit in place. Grep search and replace in the whole archive is very fast so I use that. Plus it has a dialog showing all matches per file like some editors so I can more easily browse them and see what I want to change.

Won’t mention such again unless I figure out maybe it is possible to modify some temp archive and then overwrite original. If it were possible, copy is supposed to be instantaneous on newer file systems that use snapshots. Perhaps zlib doesn’t operate as for example zip -u …

Concerning zlib, the native macOS library is supposed to be much faster, 60+ percent?, at unarchiving. Maybe Qt is already using such.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #137
democrite
Addict
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Concerning plugins seems like I need to eventually try writing some. It seems many are not in the habit of sharing them alternatively thru some repo. Maybe there could be a way to encourage some who are used to such? Maybe a GitHub repo also for plugin index and some info to perhaps encourage such use to help others contribute and possible learn from them as examples?
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #138
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
We already have a Plugin Index thread that lists all of the plugins developers have shared so far. It is in the sticky thread of our plugin sub forum here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247431

The plugin developer docs are here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ork_rev13.epub

These plugins are specially laid out zip archives that contain the python source code so that you can see and edit it as needed. A few people do use github repos for their plugins. You can search github to find most of them.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-14-2022 at 06:33 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #139
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It is either uncompressing the file or using zgrep directly on the file contents inside the zip. If you make changes that exceed the previously saved compressed file size, new records for that file in the zip are instead created at the end, or entire sections are rewritten leaving space for the new file contents.

Again, a zip is not a filesystem, its is a entry for each file, a header and a pointer to the compressed file contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Thanks Kevin, will give it a try.

Concerning save times, I am aware of what modifications will cause a modification in another file. Perhaps I am misunderstanding various zlib implementations. Elsewhere for example, BBEdit can open zip archives and edit in place. Grep search and replace in the whole archive is very fast so I use that. Plus it has a dialog showing all matches per file like some editors so I can more easily browse them and see what I want to change.

Won’t mention such again unless I figure out maybe it is possible to modify some temp archive and then overwrite original. If it were possible, copy is supposed to be instantaneous on newer file systems that use snapshots. Perhaps zlib doesn’t operate as for example zip -u …

Concerning zlib, the native macOS library is supposed to be much faster, 60+ percent?, at unarchiving. Maybe Qt is already using such.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-15-2022 at 01:15 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote