Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #46
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Which changes to Goodreads do you not like? I cannot even remember when anything at all changed, and I think I’ve been using GR since before the acquisition.

I WISH they’d change some things (particularly with the mobile apps) but they seem to be in total keeping-the-lights-on mode, and there are no signals to the contrary.
A feature I miss is the link to the most recent reviews that was available on the Explore page and the link to the latest reviews for the books in my library. Also, reviews weren't limited to just 10 pages. Reviews were the big draw for me on GR and they cut back on access to them.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
A feature I miss is the link to the most recent reviews that was available on the Explore page and the link to the latest reviews for the books in my library. Also, reviews weren't limited to just 10 pages. Reviews were the big draw for me on GR and they cut back on access to them.
Thanks, I don’t think I ever looked for or used those features (when they were there).

I rarely use a web browser to access GR as well, and wish they would beef up the mobile app so it had more parity (such as being able to compare books with another person).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #48
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I can definitely still sort by "latest reviews"although they call it "Newest" now. While it *looks like* they are limiting to only 10 pages of reviews, they really aren't. I've attached a screenshot of the reviews for one book on goodreads.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 20-23-17 The Turn of the Screw.png
Views:	159
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	190882  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #49
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can definitely still sort by "latest reviews"although they call it "Newest" now. While it *looks like* they are limiting to only 10 pages of reviews, they really aren't. I've attached a screenshot of the reviews for one book on goodreads.

Shari
You can still see the latest reviews for an individual book on that book's page but there was also a link to the latest book reviews on the site, not by book, just the latest reviews. It was available from the Browse / Explore tab. From there you could also access the latest reviews for the books on your shelves. There were several other links that I don't remember now. It was a small feature but one I liked to check from time to time.

And I don't see that the reviews on your screenshot go beyond 300 - 10 pages of 30? Maybe I'm missing something.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #50
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogu View Post
I'm realizing that I don't remember things like I used to and am considering keeping a reading journal. Not really sure how to go about it or how to integrate it with an e-ink device. These days when people ask me what I thought about a book, I go ummm, it was ... good? I used to be able to recall specific things and actually talk about it.

Do you have a reading journal or log of some sort? What sort of things do you keep in it? Do you do digital or paper or both? Do you find it fun or a bit of a chore?
I don't keep a journal, but I have a column "Read" in calibre where I can put the year in which I finished a book. (The column can contain multiple years, in case I read a book multiple times.) I've been doing that since 2013 (two years after when I started to use calibre). I do see that I've been reading less and less over the last few years, because work has become very busy. (And I also have other hobbies, such as chess, piano, some personal programming projects, and movies.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If anyone fancies keep track of their books read, but doesn't necessarily want to do it with any of the big web sites, there's our own MobileRead Annual Reading Challenge threads.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343832
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogu View Post
I'm realizing that I don't remember things like I used to and am considering keeping a reading journal. Not really sure how to go about it or how to integrate it with an e-ink device. These days when people ask me what I thought about a book, I go ummm, it was ... good? I used to be able to recall specific things and actually talk about it.

Do you have a reading journal or log of some sort? What sort of things do you keep in it? Do you do digital or paper or both? Do you find it fun or a bit of a chore?

In reference to the title of this thread: I keep logs in the fireplace and journals in the bookcase.

Bodda-Bing!

But seriously: The answer, for me, is 'No'.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #53
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If anyone fancies keep track of their books read, but doesn't necessarily want to do it with any of the big web sites, there's our own MobileRead Annual Reading Challenge threads.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343832
Darzin also has a google spreadsheet he is willing to share. I run a really hefty excel sheet, but it is so personalized to me that I don't think it would help anyone else.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #54
paulag
paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
From around 1994, I wrote down in a notebook the title, date finished and a quick rating of what I thought of the book. Starting in 2007 until now I use digital journal, which basically keeps track of the same information.
I keep journals of what I've read for myself and because my daughters share my love of reading. They'll eventually inherit my library of books and I hope that one day they and maybe their children will also be interested in reading my journals along with the books.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #55
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i literally mark what i read on goodreads give it stars but dont bother with reviews... if its a 1 star its a DNF and reminds me not to bother trying it again
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #56
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I’m also a Goodreads user, because of failing memory. I often can’t remember much of the content of books I read so I do need to know if I liked something, so I’ll Star it one way or another. I rarely bother with reviews. I continue to use Hyphen Reader on my iPhone and iPad, because linking to goodreads and syncing between devices is just easy. Tick, done.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #57
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
No. Seems useless. You can just google it o refresh your memory of a book.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:29 AM   #58
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Almost all books get an entry at Goodreads, including a relatively recent DNF shelf. I always say something besides a star rating, which is for me as much as others. Length ranges from a couple of sentences to a few paragraphs.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:48 AM   #59
ianthe06
ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianthe06 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I began to track my reading in 2005 with a simple doc file containing date finished, author and title.
When I started to read more ebooks I chose Calibre for my ebook management and soon also for my print books. Later I transferred the data from my doc file to Calibre.

By now my Calibre database has quite a few custom columns (read, date finished, TBR, original language, first publishing date ...) which help me to keep track of my physical bookshelves, my ebook collection, my read books and the long list of books to be read.

On my Kobo I like to use the highlight function for interesting passages and also for new vocabulary and expressions when I read in foreign language (=English). With the annotations plugin I can import those highlights into the Calibre comments section. If I feel like it I write some words about the book and my reading experience but mostly I don't
ianthe06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I just keep the date I finished the book in calibre. (The column can hold multiple dates because sometimes I re-read a book.) Because I abandoned my first book ever a few months ago, I now also have an "abandoned" date.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote