Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #42601
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Good news, it seems my uncle has decided against taking the court case any further. The letter he/his lawyer should have send to notify us should have been send by bailiff. Neither us, my aunt or our lawyers received a letter. So our lawyer thinks it's safe to assume my uncle is not appealing.

It hasn't yet sunk in. And we're certain he's going to make things difficult until we have bought the house and my grandmother's estate has been taken care of.

I'm kinda expecting him to start another court case, not sure on hat grounds he could do that. But we've been doing the court thing for six years now, it's difficult to gelieve that part is over.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #42602
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,123
Karma: 87288491
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Good news, it seems my uncle has decided against taking the court case any further. The letter he/his lawyer should have send to notify us should have been send by bailiff. Neither us, my aunt or our lawyers received a letter. So our lawyer thinks it's safe to assume my uncle is not appealing.
WHOOWHOOWHOOO!!

What's that, six years now? Congrats.

Quote:
It hasn't yet sunk in. And we're certain he's going to make things difficult until we have bought the house and my grandmother's estate has been taken care of.
Surely, there's some way to make it faster? Or to shut down his shenanigans, legally, but not a whole new case?

Quote:
I'm kinda expecting him to start another court case, not sure on hat grounds he could do that. But we've been doing the court thing for six years now, it's difficult to gelieve that part is over.

Whew, you should get yourself something to celebrate. :-) Congrats, Rumple!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #42603
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
It depends how you count it. The fire was the trigger for my uncle to start the ball rolling. That was in early June 2013. In July he told us his plans for selling the house. In December he gave my father until early February to get the money together, but when my father did it turned out my uncle had already signed a provisional contract with someone else. So in February 2014 the lawyers got involved, in July 2013 the stress started.

For tonight I got a nice snack for when watching TV (Locke & Key on Netflix) and I've decided to treat myself to a Diamond Painting that has been on the top of my wishlist for a long time. I've decided to go for the biggest size of 80 by 120 centimeters. I'm not sure how I'm going to work on that, though!
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #42604
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dazrin's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,307
Karma: 53637831
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PDXish
Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
I'm sure you have your own method but I saw someone on the train the other day working on one of those and she kept the whole thing mostly rolled up like a scroll with some form of parchment or fabric between layers. She would just unroll the portion she was actively working on. It appeared to work pretty well in the cramped confines of Amtrak.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:26 AM   #42605
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm sure you have your own method but I saw someone on the train the other day working on one of those and she kept the whole thing mostly rolled up like a scroll with some form of parchment or fabric between layers. She would just unroll the portion she was actively working on. It appeared to work pretty well in the cramped confines of Amtrak.
That's impressive, working on a DP on a train.

When I started I just had an A4 light pad and worked flat on the table. I couldn't work on a canvas any longer than sixty to ninety minutes before my back and neck would start hurting too much. Since then I bought a table top easel and an A3 light pad. I usually work with the easel set at its most vertical setting and clip my canvas on the light pad. If I work on a bigger I have an MDF board I can put behind my light pad and clip the painting to that. I don't like to put the painting over the back of the easel/board/light pad since you can end up with a visible fold in the canvas. I might get a foam roller, slit it length wise and stick it on the top, that might help not cause a too visible fold or maybe even prevent it.

80 by 120 centimeter is so big it won't fit on my board. I might have to work sideways (roll it up and have it at the sides) or I have to put my easel on a lower setting or work flat on the table again.

I've got enough time to think about how to do it. When it's shipped it usually takes about three weeks to get here and now shipping will most likely be delayed due to the Corona virus.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #42606
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,123
Karma: 87288491
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
It depends how you count it. The fire was the trigger for my uncle to start the ball rolling. That was in early June 2013. In July he told us his plans for selling the house. In December he gave my father until early February to get the money together, but when my father did it turned out my uncle had already signed a provisional contract with someone else. So in February 2014 the lawyers got involved, in July 2013 the stress started.
Regardless how you count it...it's gone on more than long enough.

Quote:
For tonight I got a nice snack for when watching TV (Locke & Key on Netflix) and I've decided to treat myself to a Diamond Painting that has been on the top of my wishlist for a long time. I've decided to go for the biggest size of 80 by 120 centimeters. I'm not sure how I'm going to work on that, though!
Y'know, I had some hopes for that show when it started, but it kinda devolved into teenage angstiness and some very, VERY predictable "twists" and plot elements before it got to the end. To me, it felt as though 6 episodes would have been plenty but they stuffed it to carry 10. And while I know that in fiction, you need conflict and to frustrate the MC/protag(s) from achieving their goal, some of the protagonists' failures to "win" are just groan-worthy.

It's like that "TSTL" thing (Too Stupid To Live), when the female protagonist in a mystery novel goes down into the basement, unarmed, when she knows that the serial-killer-bad-guy is loose, alone, in the same house. Yeeaaaahright. When a character does something like that, you start rooting from him/her to DIE. At least, I do. When someone is physically fighting with another character and the bad guy's gun falls out of his/her/their hand, my attitude is pick it up, idiot! Not, run away so that the bad guy can pick the gun up and chase you and try to kill you, again.

But, hey, that's just me. I truly do hope you like it better than we did. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #42607
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Y'know, I had some hopes for that show when it started, but it kinda devolved into teenage angstiness and some very, VERY predictable "twists" and plot elements before it got to the end. To me, it felt as though 6 episodes would have been plenty but they stuffed it to carry 10. And while I know that in fiction, you need conflict and to frustrate the MC/protag(s) from achieving their goal, some of the protagonists' failures to "win" are just groan-worthy.

It's like that "TSTL" thing (Too Stupid To Live), when the female protagonist in a mystery novel goes down into the basement, unarmed, when she knows that the serial-killer-bad-guy is loose, alone, in the same house. Yeeaaaahright. When a character does something like that, you start rooting from him/her to DIE. At least, I do. When someone is physically fighting with another character and the bad guy's gun falls out of his/her/their hand, my attitude is pick it up, idiot! Not, run away so that the bad guy can pick the gun up and chase you and try to kill you, again.

But, hey, that's just me. I truly do hope you like it better than we did. :-)

Hitch
LOL, I'm three episodes in and so far it's merely okay. For some reason I can't really like the two older kids, not sure why. I'll continue and will probably finish it.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #42608
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,123
Karma: 87288491
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
LOL, I'm three episodes in and so far it's merely okay. For some reason I can't really like the two older kids, not sure why. I'll continue and will probably finish it.
The older boy grew on me. The girl, never. The younger boy, yes, quite a lot. The mom, meh. The uncle was like a prop. Here for a conversation, then gone. Back for a scene, gone. Literally, they could have propped up a mannequin, for all the depth and character that they gave him.

And when you can see the plotline double-crosses or traps coming miles away...sheesh.

But, again..I hope you like it more than I did. When you're sick, things that aren't intellectually challenging can be good! :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #42609
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The older boy grew on me. The girl, never. The younger boy, yes, quite a lot. The mom, meh. The uncle was like a prop. Here for a conversation, then gone. Back for a scene, gone. Literally, they could have propped up a mannequin, for all the depth and character that they gave him.

And when you can see the plotline double-crosses or traps coming miles away...sheesh.

But, again..I hope you like it more than I did. When you're sick, things that aren't intellectually challenging can be good! :-)

Hitch
My sister has already finished the series. She really liked it, possibly even more than Stranger Things. I have three more episodes to go, I like it now the mother is getting more involved, but I agree about the uncle. I would like to see more of the ancestral ghosts, but that might happen yet.

I'll finish the series tonight and I'm either going to watch The Stranger or October Faction next.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #42610
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,123
Karma: 87288491
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My sister has already finished the series. She really liked it, possibly even more than Stranger Things. I have three more episodes to go, I like it now the mother is getting more involved, but I agree about the uncle. I would like to see more of the ancestral ghosts, but that might happen yet.

I'll finish the series tonight and I'm either going to watch The Stranger or October Faction next.
I haven't watched TS. October Faction...I hate to say this, but man, that one was a huge letdown to me, as well. I was really looking forward to it, but OMG, I loathed, loathed, the teens by 75% through. (I wasn't the only one; online reviews seem pretty consistent on that front.) And there was a whole lotta "you can see that coming from a mile away" in it, too, unfortunately. Lots of tropes and tired plot cliches.

But that's all I shall say about that. I really liked the idea of it. The execution left me not happy with it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #42611
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I haven't watched TS. October Faction...I hate to say this, but man, that one was a huge letdown to me, as well. I was really looking forward to it, but OMG, I loathed, loathed, the teens by 75% through. (I wasn't the only one; online reviews seem pretty consistent on that front.) And there was a whole lotta "you can see that coming from a mile away" in it, too, unfortunately. Lots of tropes and tired plot cliches.

But that's all I shall say about that. I really liked the idea of it. The execution left me not happy with it.

Hitch
I might then first start on the latest/last season of Paranormal Lockdown (those shows are my guilty pleasure viewing) first. Any suggestions on what to watch next on Netflix? After my recent French binge I might go up north and watch some of the Scandinavian things that have been lingering on my watch list.

I started the second season of a BBC podcast this morning. It's called The Whisperer in Darkness and it's the sequel to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. The first season was based on an HP Lovecraft story apparently, but updated to the present day. This is a continuation of the same universe but not based on any of Lovecraft's work. I love it, a recommendation for those who like spooky stuff. I like to listen when I'm doing creative stuff, currently diamond painting. I'm at episode 6 of 10, so I should finish it tomorrow.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #42612
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,123
Karma: 87288491
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I might then first start on the latest/last season of Paranormal Lockdown (those shows are my guilty pleasure viewing) first. Any suggestions on what to watch next on Netflix? After my recent French binge I might go up north and watch some of the Scandinavian things that have been lingering on my watch list.

I started the second season of a BBC podcast this morning. It's called The Whisperer in Darkness and it's the sequel to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. The first season was based on an HP Lovecraft story apparently, but updated to the present day. This is a continuation of the same universe but not based on any of Lovecraft's work. I love it, a recommendation for those who like spooky stuff. I like to listen when I'm doing creative stuff, currently diamond painting. I'm at episode 6 of 10, so I should finish it tomorrow.
Did you watch...hhhmmmmmm....Altered Carbon? I liked that rather a lot.

I watched The Black Spot, which is actually supposed to be The White Spot (or the other way around; not sure why that was changed for we English speakers); that started off interesting-ish, but sort of declined into a mishmash; I tried to like Ragnarok, but it too devolved into teenagey-angsty-soap, more than anything else. (And the "obstacles" that the show kept throwing in the protagonist's way seemed trite and dumb as hell. It was like, "he leaves XXX in this place, which is the proof he needs to get the bad guy" and you know, before that scene's over, EXACTLY what's going to happen. In some ways, it was like watching the school play at High School, written by 16-y.o.'s you know? ) BTW, that also happened throughout the Locke & Key thing; you could see the plot "twists" coming from 20 miles away.

I've had a deliciousy guilty-pleasure time with that damn dumb show about the Mexican demon hunter. Can't think of the ...oh, right, Diableros. it is hard to think of a show being dumber than that, but for some reason, there's something naive and sincere about it that makes me like it. I freely admit that in many ways, it's TSTL (Too Stupid to Live).

I liked that one show about the Japanese cop who gets deputed to the UK, to find and track down and bring back his now-not-dead criminal brother. It had some nice parts, but the ending was...odd. The last episode had some beeezar moments.

I'd have to head-scratch and think of what we've tried, what we liked (a pretty short list) and what we didn't. We found a few gems along the way, oddball things that aren't at the top of anyone's charts, but we liked them. Some of the more popular shows have left me pretty cold, but I'm not really huge on the soapy aspects of many of them. Nothing against soap; some folks love that, but it's not really my taste, given my druthers.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #42613
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Rumpelteazer's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,795
Karma: 16844028
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did you watch...hhhmmmmmm....Altered Carbon? I liked that rather a lot.

I watched The Black Spot, which is actually supposed to be The White Spot (or the other way around; not sure why that was changed for we English speakers); that started off interesting-ish, but sort of declined into a mishmash; I tried to like Ragnarok, but it too devolved into teenagey-angsty-soap, more than anything else. (And the "obstacles" that the show kept throwing in the protagonist's way seemed trite and dumb as hell. It was like, "he leaves XXX in this place, which is the proof he needs to get the bad guy" and you know, before that scene's over, EXACTLY what's going to happen. In some ways, it was like watching the school play at High School, written by 16-y.o.'s you know? ) BTW, that also happened throughout the Locke & Key thing; you could see the plot "twists" coming from 20 miles away.

I've had a deliciousy guilty-pleasure time with that damn dumb show about the Mexican demon hunter. Can't think of the ...oh, right, Diableros. it is hard to think of a show being dumber than that, but for some reason, there's something naive and sincere about it that makes me like it. I freely admit that in many ways, it's TSTL (Too Stupid to Live).

I liked that one show about the Japanese cop who gets deputed to the UK, to find and track down and bring back his now-not-dead criminal brother. It had some nice parts, but the ending was...odd. The last episode had some beeezar moments.

I'd have to head-scratch and think of what we've tried, what we liked (a pretty short list) and what we didn't. We found a few gems along the way, oddball things that aren't at the top of anyone's charts, but we liked them. Some of the more popular shows have left me pretty cold, but I'm not really huge on the soapy aspects of many of them. Nothing against soap; some folks love that, but it's not really my taste, given my druthers.

Hitch
I watched the first season of Altered Carbon (your recommendation), the second season is newly released so I'll get to that in the near future. I did enjoy The Black Spot.

Diablero (in the Netherlands) is added and Ragnarok is removed from my list. The Japanese cop I recorded when it was on the BBC, so I need to get to that soon, too.

Have you watched Marianne yet, very freaky and dark.

To be honest what I really want is for Netflix to release the third season of Wynona Earp. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure but it's fun in the way I liked Buffy.

I think I might do a film week next week. Those have been piling up for a while now. I still have one film left on my cinema card, so if I feel okay on Monday I might go to Fantasy Island in the morning (my favorite time of the week to go).

Both my TBR and my TBW are hopelessly out of control.

I also want to watch the new Dracula series
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #42614
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,123
Karma: 87288491
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I watched the first season of Altered Carbon (your recommendation), the second season is newly released so I'll get to that in the near future. I did enjoy The Black Spot.

Diablero (in the Netherlands) is added and Ragnarok is removed from my list. The Japanese cop I recorded when it was on the BBC, so I need to get to that soon, too.

Have you watched Marianne yet, very freaky and dark.

To be honest what I really want is for Netflix to release the third season of Wynona Earp. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure but it's fun in the way I liked Buffy.

I think I might do a film week next week. Those have been piling up for a while now. I still have one film left on my cinema card, so if I feel okay on Monday I might go to Fantasy Island in the morning (my favorite time of the week to go).

Both my TBR and my TBW are hopelessly out of control.

I also want to watch the new Dracula series
On Dracula, I loved the first two epis and HATED the third. I shan't say more. :-)

You can try Ragnarok--see what you think, but you have a pretty good TBR list. If you like truly "guilty pleasures," the kind of goofy thing that you wouldn't want anyone to know you watched, Diablero is definitely it. ;-)

On Wynona...you know, I really liked the first few seasons but my liking for it fell off heavily in that last season. It seemed to stop entertaining as much as ..IDK. I'll wait to see what you think when you see it. I'll be interested to hear.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #42615
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pdurrant's Avatar
 
Posts: 60,717
Karma: 243401489
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, England
Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm in the midst of transferring from a home mail server to an online mail server. Going OK so far, but the transfer of the emails from the old server to the new is going to take a long time. I might have to switch it over to a faster line for my account. (25+ years of emails!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.