Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #4051
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I still fondly recall the cheery "You have mail!" announcement when my modem finally stopped squealing at me.

That's "You've got mail!"

Don't make me send Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan over there to remind you!
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #4052
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yea, that's right. K for the correction.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #4053
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
What I remember about AOL was their creepy instant messaging service. We used an instant messaging service at IBM in Austin, so I knew what it was, but at IBM we knew everyone on our team, and they were the only people allowed to send us IMs. And for the record, many of us team leads forbade the use of IMs because they became more of a nuisance than a help. AOL made it possible for just about anyone else on AOL to send you an IM. It was a sign of the creepy feature in Facebook to come. Hated it then, still hate it now. But in AOL, members could see when you were online, so they knew if you were ignoring them, which occasionally led to some testy IMs from those being ignored. (A stalkers's paradise was born.) At least with Facebook you can block unwanted people from sending you IMs. As I recall, in AOL you didn't just get a notice/flag for new IMs, a IM box popped up in front of whatever you were viewing, forcing you to deal with it right then!

I do remember being so happy to ditch AOL for a local service provider when support for Macs finally arrived in my city. It was nice to be able to mimic them with some strange sounds followed by a last "Goodbye" MFs!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #4054
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
6 unusual Alexa skills you should try on your Amazon Echo.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #4055
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[Sarcasm Alert]

Although I don't think it would be a good idea to give your medical history to total strangers like the owners of Dr. AI, or any other Alexa skill, how bad could it be? After all, we who live in the USA have the 3rd best healthcare system in North America. Oh wait, that means 3rd out of 3...

[/Sarcasm Alert]

Dr. AI will likely not have your vital signs nor you medical history. However, my typical annual and semi-annual physical exams go like this.
  1. A medical tech (not a real nurse, not even close) checks my vital signs.
  2. Medical tech asks same annoying questions required by my insurance company designed to see if I'm suicidal or have other symptoms they might not want to cover.
  3. Doc comes in several minutes later. Shakes my hand. Quickly listens to my heart and lungs with stethoscope.
  4. Doc sits at computer station and asks his usual questions about whether I’m still taking all my meds, how I feel, etc.
  5. Doc types in a bunch of stuff on the computer while pretending to listen to me. Mostly he is making sure to check all the key checkboxes on the insurance forms so he can get paid the most and purchase a bigger mansion.
  6. Doc says he will see me in another 6 months.
  7. Lab tech draws blood and gathers a urine sample.
  8. I go home fairly clueless to any findings and totally clueless to the lab results which take a couple of weeks to get, and then they are written for medical staff, not a lay person, so no clue if they are really OK, really good, or maybe I should be writing my will.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #4056
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
[Sarcasm Alert]

Although I don't think it would be a good idea to give your medical history to total strangers like the owners of Dr. AI, or any other Alexa skill, how bad could it be? After all, we who live in the USA have the 3rd best healthcare system in North America. Oh wait, that means 3rd out of 3...

[/Sarcasm Alert]

Dr. AI will likely not have your vital signs nor you medical history. However, my typical annual and semi-annual physical exams go like this.
  1. A medical tech (not a real nurse, not even close) checks my vital signs.
  2. Medical tech asks same annoying questions required by my insurance company designed to see if I'm suicidal or have other symptoms they might not want to cover.
  3. Doc comes in several minutes later. Shakes my hand. Quickly listens to my heart and lungs with stethoscope.
  4. Doc sits at computer station and asks his usual questions about whether I’m still taking all my meds, how I feel, etc.
  5. Doc types in a bunch of stuff on the computer while pretending to listen to me. Mostly he is making sure to check all the key checkboxes on the insurance forms so he can get paid the most and purchase a bigger mansion.
  6. Doc says he will see me in another 6 months.
  7. Lab tech draws blood and gathers a urine sample.
  8. I go home fairly clueless to any findings and totally clueless to the lab results which take a couple of weeks to get, and then they are written for medical staff, not a lay person, so no clue if they are really OK, really good, or maybe I should be writing my will.
Are you on a plan that doesn't let you pick your doctor?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #4057
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you on a plan that doesn't let you pick your doctor?
I can choose my doctor, but every friend and relative I have say the exact same thing about their doctors. You simply don’t get an old fashioned physical checkup anymore. The doctors today spend about 5 to 10 minutes with each patient. They no longer look in your ears, nose, and throat. Unless you specifically mention a problem, you get a quick stethoscope to the chest and back, and that is it. Changing doctors isn’t going to change that, and it isn’t going to change the fact that modern USA doctors are little more than pill pushers getting bonuses from Big Pharma while trying their best to get the most payout from Big Insurance. They rely instead on the lab tests. They are a very different type of doctor from the ones from a few decades ago. And their skill sets seem to be less than the doctors had a few decades ago.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #4058
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I can choose my doctor, but every friend and relative I have say the exact same thing about their doctors. You simply don’t get an old fashioned physical checkup anymore. The doctors today spend about 5 to 10 minutes with each patient. They no longer look in your ears, nose, and throat. Unless you specifically mention a problem, you get a quick stethoscope to the chest and back, and that is it. Changing doctors isn’t going to change that, and it isn’t going to change the fact that modern USA doctors are little more than pill pushers getting bonuses from Big Pharma while trying their best to get the most payout from Big Insurance. They rely instead on the lab tests. They are a very different type of doctor from the ones from a few decades ago. And their skill sets seem to be less than the doctors had a few decades ago.
I agree, I always get the feeling that my visit is time constrained, but I do like my doctor.

I don't see anything wrong with techs doing something the doctor doesn't need to do.

I do get a yearly wellness exam, which seems like a step down from an old physical, and I am fine with that. My doctor does seem to do more: looks in my ears and mouth, makes sure I have my immunizations, bend and cough, hits the knees, asks about ongoing conditions, recommends new shots (like shingles), ...

In the end, I'm guessing I get what I pay for: I am getting a "free" wellness exam, if I want a full physical, I will have to pay for it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #4059
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I have never felt like I was getting the "bum's rush" from my doctor. He schedules a minimum of 15 minutes per patient, knowing that some will be really quick (prescription renewals, etc.) and some will take longer. And every couple of years, or upon request, he does a physical, including a full blood workup. Oh, and I don't pay for any of that, of course, since this is Canada.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #4060
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I have never felt like I was getting the "bum's rush" from my doctor. He schedules a minimum of 15 minutes per patient, knowing that some will be really quick (prescription renewals, etc.) and some will take longer. And every couple of years, or upon request, he does a physical, including a full blood workup. Oh, and I don't pay for any of that, of course, since this is Canada.
Based on what I’ve heard and read, I think the healthcare in Canada, and most other 1st world nations, is much better than we have here in the USA. It used to be fairly good here, decades ago when I was young. But over the past 50 years or so it has morphed into a mess. The doctors may be decent people, mine are, but the healthcare system here is rotten to the core and does very little to catch diseases like cancer until it is way too late.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #4061
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I still fondly recall the cheery "You have mail!" announcement when my modem finally stopped squealing at me.
I do too. I was one of the early members - not quite charter but close. AOL was great when it was Mac only. Once PC was added, it went downhill, originally because of the huge increase in jerks, but also service deterioration. I was a homework tutor for a couple of years. Eventually quit in 1996 or so when they started jacking the fees up.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #4062
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Found out today that Amazon has added the free audiobook for Echo owners again. This month it is "Call of the Wild" by Jack London in advance of the Harrison Ford movie (which is very different from the book, btw). Performed by Pablo Schreiber. Nice narration voice. It's not very long - under 4 hours.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:53 AM   #4063
mlewis78
Addict
mlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemlewis78 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Found out today that Amazon has added the free audiobook for Echo owners again. This month it is "Call of the Wild" by Jack London in advance of the Harrison Ford movie (which is very different from the book, btw). Performed by Pablo Schreiber. Nice narration voice. It's not very long - under 4 hours.
When will this be available for free? I asked my Echo and it didn't know. I asked her what audio books were free and she named some that I had looked at that were not free (cost is 1 credit).

I looked up Call of the Wild and each audio book version is 1 credit for now.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #4064
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
When will this be available for free? I asked my Echo and it didn't know. I asked her what audio books were free and she named some that I had looked at that were not free (cost is 1 credit).

I looked up Call of the Wild and each audio book version is 1 credit for now.
It's free for me.

Just say: "Alexa, what's free from Audible?"

Note: these "free monthly" selections are streaming only on Alexa-enabled devices. If you want to download them, you'll have to buy them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote