Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This week's "dumb" moments

Mid week, my trusty Libra H2O stopped responding to the back power switch. I thought it might just be age and the device getting bummed out as I have a new Libra Colour on order. I decided just to ride it out and hoped not to have a reason to reboot.

Yesterday after connecting to calibre via Kobo UnCaged, I noticed several PNG files and... the 2 watt light bulb went off. I have Kobo Menu installed and one option I have in it is to toggle the Screenshot setting.

Sure enough; dummy here had enabled screenshots

Today I wanted to correct the meta data on many books (in particular the series data). Of late I've been primarily using calibre on a Chromebook which has the drawback that USB devices are not fully passed thru to the Linux environment which means the Kobo Touch driver doesn't work. Instead I've been using Kobo UnCaged and connecting as a smart device. While it does work, I had issues with incorrect series data on the device.

No problem I said; I can copy the calibre library to a USB stick, and use a desktop on which I'd installed Calibre Portable. (Pay close attention to the word Portable)..

I plugged the USB stick with the library on it into the desktop, launched portable, switched libraries to the one on the stick, connected the kobo, saw the calibre device view, ejected the Kobo and saw.. no series data!

Checked the device config on calibre and saw that I didn't have the options set to sync metadata! Changed that and restarted calibre.

Reconnected the Kobo ejected and... still no series data

Connected yet again and noticed that the device view showed many books unmatched!

Double, triple checked and everything looked right until I realized that the books I was expecting to see were no longer in the library view!

Moment of panic! Had I dropped the books from the library??? Then the 1 watt bulb went off. (Note I was dimmer this time). Calibre PORTABLE wants its library (by default) in the directory tree WHERE CALIBRE PORTABLE is installed, and when I had restarted Calibre Portable it had reverted to the much smaller library I had on the desktop!

Switched back to the USB copy of the library and... SUCCESS!

So to ensure this doesn't happen again I've added a Windows Junction (or link) to the library on the USB stick to the Calibre Portable install directory and with that subterfuge in place calibre will now quite happily remember that that was the library I was in when I shut it down.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:40 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I’ve bumped into that screenshot issue. LOL

You know, sometimes we can be too clever for our own good. I’ve had one too many dim bulb experiences that were my own darn fault for trying to be too clever with my tech. I get so used to life out on the bleeding edge that I forget about the simpler things. Glad you got it all figured out.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:49 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm glad these oops moments were able to be sorted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
The screenshots issue is an ol' friend of mine
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote