Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
atl068
atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Onyx Boox m96
Anyone own/used a Yotaphone for ereading?

This phone looks really good... and the price is so cheap now... less than AUD190 from reliable sources e.g. gearbest.com.

Look at that e-ink display... 960 x 540... looks like a very good device with ability to run full Android on the e-ink too.

Anyone used or bought it? Care to share ebook reading experience? I have unfortunately spent a bit more for a Oukitel K6000Pro which comes with a 6000mAh battery (yes battery life is important for me)... but not good for ebook reading (I get headache staring at LCD for over 2 hours... and I use the computer too much as is). This could have cut it if I use the e-ink screen...

Yotaphone 2 5.0 inch 4G Smartphone with ALWAYS-ON Back Screen Android 4.4 Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad Core 2.26GHz 2GB RAM 32GB ROM Corning Gorilla Glass 3 NFC Bluetooth 4.0
Main Features:
Display: Front Screen: 5.0 inch 1920 x 1080 FHD Corning Gorilla Glass 3 442ppi Screen
Back Screen: 4.7 inch E-ink Electronic Paper Display 960 x 540 Corning Gorilla Glass 3 235ppi Screen
CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad core 2.26GHz
GPU: Adreno 330
System: Android 4.4
RAM + ROM: 2GB RAM + 32GB ROM
Camera: Dual Cameras, front camera 2.1MP camera, back camera 8.0MP
Sensor: Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Compass
Bluetooth: 4.0
NFC: Yes
GPS: A-GPS + GLONASS
SIM Card: Nano SIM
Network:
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 1800/2100MHz
atl068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In case you missed it, A related thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279497
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
I bought the YP2 for $140 from BangGood last month. I like the phone, but the e-ink display, although good, is not ideal: The contrast of the eink is not Black & White, but Very-Dark Gray & light Gray. The screen is really too small to read from as you'll be constantly scrolling as it takes a few seconds to read the text/book currently on the screen, before you need to scroll. It does scroll text nice and fast (of course, not LCD fast!). If you are in the direct sun, or directly near a strong light source, the eink screen reads beautifully, however, if you are at a slight non-direct angle from the bright light source, the screen is not desirable. The LCD screen is nice & bright. The only downside, is that the version I bought has KitKat and not Lollipop & I don't see a way to upgrade to anything beyond the factory Android 4.4.3. It is a fast device. I also don't like that the power-button is on the right-side in the middle such that i'm constantly accidentally hitting that button.
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Are you saying that the Yotaphone 2 e-ink screen isn't front lit? I assumed that it was and it never occurred to me it might not be. I've been following these threads wondering if I should go ahead and get one but if it's not a lit screen I don't think I'm interested.

Can you clarify that for me? It seems you're saying it's not lit but I can't be sure.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, the e-ink screen is not lit.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Are you saying that the Yotaphone 2 e-ink screen isn't front lit?
No, it is not.
And that is the reason why I waited so long before deciding I am going to order one.
When you need to read under bad lighting conditions you are supposed to use the other screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:10 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
The only downside, is that the version I bought has KitKat and not Lollipop & I don't see a way to upgrade to anything beyond the factory Android 4.4.3. It is a fast device.
visit the xda-developers site. They have a few threads about updating to Lolipop, with links to the official Yotaphone firmware and flashing tools.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Anyone that has the Yotafone, can you check if this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ms.SeekThermal

is compatible?

(because if it is, I have a good reason to order one!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Anyone that has the Yotafone, can you check if this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ms.SeekThermal

is compatible?

(because if it is, I have a good reason to order one!)
Google says yes (it shows the device it is compatible), but I will confirm this evening.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Google says yes (it shows the device it is compatible), but I will confirm this evening.
The final competability would be when I plug in the camera, but if at least googles says that the software will install, I know what I'll be ordering later today Right now, we use my tablet, but it's too big and clumsy...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote