Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #31
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Actually , after more reading and sorting through the the middle. Os 5 had elements of both lolipop and marshmallow, .e. 5 and 6. Os 6 is sort of based on nougat, I?e? Android 7 despite being labelled as os6.
Amazon have pushed 6.3 as software update tom2014 through 2017 models. The 2018 model should just be tweaked for Alexa, with a software update promised to bring that to older models.
Confusing as that is, my main points were correct. You have to find Google apps that are compatible, and you have to install in the right order. I always do account manager first. Then reboot. And the later link that I posted says to use a version 5 account manager for os 6 as later versions do not work. As the OP found, But that is contradicted by the xda article.
So we are all the way back to: If you want Google on fire tablet you have to be prepared to read various contradictory advices, or watch contradictory you tube videos, then boldy go for it. Back out, try again....

There will never be a magic pill perfect for dummies how to guide.

I also read the stuff about the SD card option whereby it mounts as internal storage, but that should present as a user choice.

That really is it from me. There is nothing more I can say to simplify things.
Do your own research and YMMV.

My tablets are working except I never did get Gmail to work. I used Amazon's email app instead. I gave up with fire TV, and with old version OS4 or older Kindle fire ablets.they would have to be rooted.

OS5, 6 should be doable, it's anyone's guess whether it will stay like that for future fire tablets.

Arguably it is better to buy android and work on workarounds for streaming Amazon video in hd on those. I have one for that. PM if interested. With that sorted. My Lenovo tablet does everything that my Amazon fire tablet can do, and a few things it can't.
The main attraction of fire tablets is the price. But you get what you pay for....

Last edited by stumped; 11-05-2018 at 11:08 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #32
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
No, Google Play did NOT work. Files were uninstalled and deleted. Tablet is working fine in all other ways. When I see files specifically for Gen 8 and OS 6 I will try again.
I did the same thing, waited until I saw someone demonstrating on youtube using my exact generation and OS version. (I'm 7th gen, OS 5.6.2.0 Sept, 2018.)

It all worked perfectly, 4 files installed, took no longer than 10 minutes or so. The Fire is now worlds better, much more useful. No ill effects of any kind so far. Glad I did it.

I only wish there were some easy and simply way to block and unblock any more Amazon firmware updates, at my option. I fear someday Amazon might screw with all my google niceness in a future firmware update.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon can , at any time. Block Google store. And services. Just because it has not happened yet does not mean it will never happen...
They already blocked YouTube on fire TVs, and almost a year later the actual you tube app remains blocked, though there are workarounds.
So arguably it is better to buy an android tablet then add Amazon app store, Kindle app etc, rather than assume you will always be able to use Google store on fire tablets.

As for waiting for the ideal video or guide..? I looked at a you tube one for the 8th gen fire and under the video there were several comments saying tried this, didn't work.... So either some people are incapable of following instructions or there are more factors at play .same with web guides, you see postitive comments mixed in with didn't work, app incompatible... . An commentators insist that their devices are identical to the one the guide is written for... Go figure.

Amazon have promised/threatened to push an update soon for all pre 2018 models, to help with their Alexa features rollout. I doubt you can block or decline it

Last edited by stumped; 11-06-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #34
stumped
Wizard

Update, according to this article, a block is already in 0lace that will affect the 2018 fire, though it is Google who are doing the blocking.

If the article is true, then the OP is totally out of luck..

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news...re-os-0183744/
Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #35
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Does your Google account have Two Factor Authentication? Someone on xda had a problem because of this and they created a new Google account and it worked fine following the directions in a link in this thread here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...-hd-8-t3855811

You can also just side load the apks for whatever apps you want. Some paid apps including Moon+ Reader Pro don't check with the Play Store.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #36
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Does your Google account have Two Factor Authentication? Someone on xda had a problem because of this and they created a new Google account and it worked fine following the directions in a link in this thread here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...-hd-8-t3855811

You can also just side load the apks for whatever apps you want. Some paid apps including Moon+ Reader Pro don't check with the Play Store.
Thanks. The third page of the thread seems to have solved the problem. I may give it a try. The failure comments describe the exact events I encountered.

The more I play around with this Fire the more I like it. Can read all my books with the Kindle app. Calibre and CC connect both by wireless and USB and load the books into the Kindle folder on the SD card, or I can side load the books from my computer into the SD card. I do miss Chrome and a few others apps not available from Amazon. If I do try again and have success I'll post it here.

Last edited by The Old Man; 11-07-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Correction
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #37
stumped
Wizard

you may be able to get the BRAVE browser, which is basically chrome with some built in ad-blocking. very fast, efficient browser

the advantage of actual play store chrome is that it can sync bookmarks, history etc. across devices, brave does not have that, not yet anyway.
it is a free app so you should have little trouble finding a side-loadable installer
e.g. from here https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6...e-android.html

do keep us posted on install attempts, every detailed here is what i did that worked description helps others
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #38
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post

I do miss Chrome and a few others apps not available from Amazon. If I do try again and have success I'll post it here.
For what it's worth, I installed google on my Fire HD8 (7th) when the firmware was 5.6.2.0. (A couple of months ago.) I had two factor authentication on my account at the time and it presented no intrinsic impediment. I simply authenticated on my other android tablet. Because I used my main account, I could then (and still can) access and install all my paid apps.

Update: Just checked my Fire, I see Amazon is currently threatening me with "2 system updates ready to install." And if I don't do it myself manually, it's going to do it anyway "next time the device is not being used." I'll report back if these updates seem to have done anything untoward to my GooglePlay...[grumble]
Old 11-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #39
stumped
Wizard

updates: yes and it you don't do them, then some amazon things may stop working- that is definitely the case with fire TV and amazon video. you are effectively forced to have latest versions for stuff to stream
you will probably be ok if is a minor update e.g. 5.6.2.0 to 5.6.3.0. it's when we see a big jump to 6.x.x.x that you should worry.

most updates happen while a device is on overnight charge ( for me anyway)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
For what it's worth, I installed google on my Fire HD8 (7th) when the firmware was 5.6.2.0. (A couple of months ago.) I had two factor authentication on my account at the time and it presented no intrinsic impediment. I simply authenticated on my other android tablet. Because I used my main account, I could then (and still can) access and install all my paid apps.

Update: Just checked my Fire, I see Amazon is currently threatening me with "2 system updates ready to install." And if I don't do it myself manually, it's going to do it anyway "next time the device is not being used." I'll report back if these updates seem to have done anything untoward to my GooglePlay...[grumble]
I have two Kindle Fire HD 8s both are 2017 I think. Hubby was given one for his birthday in July and I got mine Christmas from a relative both shipped from Amazon. They both are up to date and Google Play works fine on it. I can not find the thread at XDA I used anymore. I wouldn't worry about updating your firmware everything should still work as it should.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #41
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have two Kindle Fire HD 8s both are 2017 I think. Hubby was given one for his birthday in July and I got mine Christmas from a relative both shipped from Amazon. They both are up to date and Google Play works fine on it. I can not find the thread at XDA I used anymore. I wouldn't worry about updating your firmware everything should still work as it should.
Thanks. Strange. Seems to have been a false alarm anyways. I tried to manually update the 2 it said were pending, but then it told me I'm up to date and nothing pending anymore. So, still all good.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
Thanks. Strange. Seems to have been a false alarm anyways. I tried to manually update the 2 it said were pending, but then it told me I'm up to date and nothing pending anymore. So, still all good.
They could have been a component updates not firmware. It uses the same venue to updates system components like Kindle app and Audible....etc
Old 11-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #43
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
They could have been a component updates not firmware. It uses the same venue to updates system components like Kindle app and Audible....etc
Ah, okay, that's what it was. I've got app updates on manual just to watch what it's up to; I figured everything else from Amazon was "firmware" - I learn something new every day. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I just got a firmware update. 5.6.4 Google Play still works fine. Don't ask me what's new, it never tells me.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #45
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
I just got a firmware update. 5.6.4 Google Play still works fine. Don't ask me what's new, it never tells me.
Yes, just got it too. Apparently there's a mistake in their numbering. If you click on "Learn More" at System Updates it shows correctly the update as 5.6.3.0 (not 5.3.6.4).

Some on xda are saying they see an improvement in performance. So far I haven't experienced any ill effects.

Last edited by k9reeder; 11-10-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo