Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Forma have the wedge-side light issue?
No wedge-side light issue 20 15.87%
Have wedge-side light issue, but living with the issue 72 57.14%
Have wedge-side light issue, seeking warranty replacement 14 11.11%
Have wedge-side light issue, returning for refund 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #46
Kambei85
Kambei85 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Hello, I have the same issu on my kobo forma (even when i'm at 1% of power).
Did someone resolved this issu rebooting the kobo as written on this post?

Thank you
Kambei85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:22 AM   #47
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Hello, a friend recently came down from Canada and bought me a Kobo Forma. Like many of the Kobo Forma owners I too could see a distinct strip on the button side of my Forma along with some uneven lighting (damn! I didn't take any picture) but since it could not be returned I thought it wise to just keep it and ignore the issue. But since my eyes kept wandering to that particular light strip I thought to play with my Forma light settings. I moved the light slider all the way up to 100 and kept the energy setting "sleep after" to "never". Couple of hours later I found that the light strip has significantly dulled and the screen lighting has become more even. Another of this shock treatment to my Forma and the lighting is most uniform since I opened that box and that light strip is barely visible. I don't know how it happened but it did work for me. Or may be my brain is playing trick? Thought to share with you guys so somebody could come up with some explanation.

Thanks
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #48
culicuclc
culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.culicuclc can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglow View Post
Hello, a friend recently came down from Canada and bought me a Kobo Forma. Like many of the Kobo Forma owners I too could see a distinct strip on the button side of my Forma along with some uneven lighting (damn! I didn't take any picture) but since it could not be returned I thought it wise to just keep it and ignore the issue. But since my eyes kept wandering to that particular light strip I thought to play with my Forma light settings. I moved the light slider all the way up to 100 and kept the energy setting "sleep after" to "never". Couple of hours later I found that the light strip has significantly dulled and the screen lighting has become more even. Another of this shock treatment to my Forma and the lighting is most uniform since I opened that box and that light strip is barely visible. I don't know how it happened but it did work for me. Or may be my brain is playing trick? Thought to share with you guys so somebody could come up with some explanation.

Thanks
Hey, I have to create this account just to confirm that this does seem to work somehow. Ive kept the screen on for 8 hours up to now and it seems like the black and light strips have become less noticeable.
culicuclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #49
granz
granz began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting
Another confirmation

As the previous poster, I'm posting to confirm this method works.

I went from thinking about returning the Forma, to thinking about buying one for multiple friends and family members because it's about as perfect a consumer tech device I've ever used.

I had the side bar uneven light problem on my Forma and thought I would just live with it. As the days went on I became more and more annoyed with it until I found this thread. I turned off the auto-sleep feature, set the light to maximum brightness, and turned off daylight spectrum changing so that it was full blue. Then I made sure the battery was completely charged and put it on a shelf over night. The next day I plugged it in, turned it on, and the light strip was almost completely gone. It's almost unnoticeable now.

Thanks for the tip indyglow!
granz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #50
nkluan
nkluan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglow View Post

Thanks
I tried your solution on my Forma for 5 to 6 hours, until the battery was drained. Unfortunately the light strip is still there and I cannot see any improvement.

How many "shock treatments" does your Forma go through until the light strip vanish ?
nkluan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #51
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The people that don’t have the light issue...

Are any of you on 8gb models?

I’m wondering if something is different on 32gb models?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #52
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
The people that don’t have the light issue...

Are any of you on 8gb models?

I’m wondering if something is different on 32gb models?
LOL Every Forma has the issue, it's just that some owners have very poor eyesight. Ever wonder why no one with a "perfect" Forma has been able to take a picture of it?
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #53
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gotcha - just thought I'd ask. I didn't know they all have it.
This really sucks for something so expensive.

This is my first bad experience (my 4th Kobo device of all time so far).
Really poor showing by them here which will definitely make me reconsider what I buy next.

What a drag

Last edited by bookyboy; 11-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:47 PM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
LOL Every Forma has the issue, it's just that some owners have very poor eyesight.
Or maybe it's nothing to do with poor eyesight and everything to do with being able to easily "tune out" whatever lighting imperfections there are because they find the Forma (and Kobo in general) good points outweigh the bad.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #55
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Or maybe it's nothing to do with poor eyesight and everything to do with being able to easily "tune out" whatever lighting imperfections there are because they find the Forma (and Kobo in general) good points outweigh the bad.
I can't speak for others, but mine is pretty bad.
Very hard to tune it out (unfortunately)

I just don't think it's right that a $250+ device should have an issue like this.

The rest of the thing is AWESOME! So light and nice to hold..
Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #56
SilverGreen93
SilverGreen93 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad Color 3
Hi guys,

I bough my new Kobo Forma a couple of days ago and I noticed the side-light issue straight of the box. I am now trying to do the fix by keeping the max backlight on for 8-10 hours to see if is starts dissappearing.

Does anyone know if Kobo can change this or it is a general issue and I must live with it? I contacted support, but I am now waiting for a reply and I want to know if it's worth sending it for a replacement or the replacement will have the same effect.

Thanks.
SilverGreen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #57
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I’ve never owned a Forma, but do you guys think there is just something underneath the screen that’s causing the light strip? Like a sort of bezel?

Because if that’s the case it will never disappear, no matter what you do with it.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #58
SilverGreen93
SilverGreen93 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad Color 3
I think that there is an issue with the dispersion of the light and the line that we see is the actual led light source. But I don't know until I see a picture/diagram of the screen inside.
SilverGreen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #59
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
While I don't have a Forma (yet), I suspect this is likely what's happening. Well said, jackie_w!
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #60
dyk
dyk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sony
Hello, bought a Forma this Black Friday hoping the light strip issue would be resolved by now. Unfortunately, the light strip is still visible. Question is will it get better over time?
dyk is offline   Reply With Quote