Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Victoria Holt/Eleanor Hibbert

I am 66 years old, and just now finding how much I've been missing. I just am so excited about finally starting to read what I call, wonderful "reads".

I had heard the name of Victoria Holt, and just ran across a book of her's. So the first thing I did was read about her. I was so surprised to find her real name, and the many books she wrote under other pseudonyms besides Victoria Holt.

I have so many books I want to read of hers which I started with a Gothic mystery romance called The Time of the Hunter's Moon. I can't put it down. My sister found the same book available in her library so she is reading it too. She can read one book in one day, and it takes me at least a week. With Victoria's book, that may change though

I would love to get into discussions about books that we are reading. I will look around the site. I think it would be wonderful to share our thoughts on what we read Denise

For anyone (if there's someone like me that is just starting to read Victoria Holt) here's a list to start with. I get all my books from Overdrive/library2go but I do buy some I can't find in my library

This site has her books/series in order:

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/victoria-holt/

Last edited by abbynormal52; 02-14-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: forgot the link to more of her books:)
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're in the right place for that!

Please do share your current reading impressions in the "What are we reading?" sticky thread at the top of the forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
For anyone (if there's someone like me that is just starting to read Victoria Holt) here's a list to start with. I get all my books from Overdrive/library2go but I do buy some I can't find in my library
I think you missed out the list in your excitement! Great post; it's wonderful to love what you're reading.

In addition to Harry's suggestion, you can always start a thread about a particular book or author (as you've done here). Or, you can suggest what is called a buddy read on other sites; pick a book and agree to discuss it.

I loved many of Victoria Holt's Gothic novels and can remember them still. I also liked her Jean Plaidy historicals.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I love Victoria Holt, especially her early books--Mistress of Mellyn, Bride of Pendorric, and The Secret Woman are some of my favorites. I've read only a few books she wrote as Jean Plaidy and Philippa Carr--I miss the suspense in those.

I wish more of the Holt titles were available as e-books and audiobooks, even though I have all of them in hardcover.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think you missed out the list in your excitement! Great post; it's wonderful to love what you're reading.

In addition to Harry's suggestion, you can always start a thread about a particular book or author (as you've done here). Or, you can suggest what is called a buddy read on other sites; pick a book and agree to discuss it.

I loved many of Victoria Holt's Gothic novels and can remember them still. I also liked her Jean Plaidy historicals.
Oh thanks issybird, I did forget, but looks like I can edit it and put in. I'll go do that now Thank you for your info too
Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're in the right place for that!

Please do share your current reading impressions in the "What are we reading?" sticky thread at the top of the forum.
Thank you Harry!! I found the "sticky" I just haven't gotten there to post yet. We have high winds and rain, again, today, so perfect days to snuggle in my fave chair and read. I did that today until I needed a nap,
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I love Victoria Holt, especially her early books--Mistress of Mellyn, Bride of Pendorric, and The Secret Woman are some of my favorites.
Menfreya in the Morning, The Legend of the Seventh Virgin, Kirkland Revels as well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I love Victoria Holt, especially her early books--Mistress of Mellyn, Bride of Pendorric, and The Secret Woman are some of my favorites. I've read only a few books she wrote as Jean Plaidy and Philippa Carr--I miss the suspense in those.

I wish more of the Holt titles were available as e-books and audiobooks, even though I have all of them in hardcover.
I do too catlady as it's so much easier for me to hold a Kindle than hardcopy books these days

I don't know what to pick next, but I'll cross that bridge when I get finished with this one. I did see a title that is in my library that looks good. The Shivering Sands?? I don't think I can go wrong picking any of her books.

I loved this quote from a publisher, saw it on this site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleano...#Personal_life

this is about who made the statement, and the quote itself:

The publisher Robert Hale accepted the 500-page manuscript after it had been rejected by several others. The firm wrote to Hibbert's literary agency, A.M. Heath, "Will you tell this author that there are glittering prizes ahead for those who can write as she does?".
Old 02-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
Nikkidog
Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis2, Paperwhite4
I had forgotten about this author. I used to read her books when I was in high school and early twenties. I’ll have to look her books up again. I didn’t realize she wrote under different names. I plan to check them all out.
Nikkidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie

Glad to hear you enjoyed hearing about her many pen-names Nikki.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thank you for such a lovely post and sharing this author with us. I did not know that Victoria Holt and Philippa Carr are the same author. These look like the type of books that I would enjoy.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
abbynormal52
Groupie

You are very welcome, I didn't know much about Victoria Holt except I thing I heard about her when I was in school way back when I never started reading books/novels etc. until my late 50s. I am glad I finally started that's for sure

I forgot to add that I am reading another author right now. Her and another gal wrote a series, and her name is Vickie Britton, and her co-author is Loretta Jackson. The Ardis Cole series: The Curse of Senmut
I favor Eleanor's let's just say

Last edited by abbynormal52; 03-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #13
ba1970
ba1970 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I loved Victoria Holt since I was a teenager. Does anybody know when more of her books will become e-readers?
ba1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:55 AM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If you like Victoria Holt, then check out Dorothy Eden, Phyllis Whitney, Mary Stewart, Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, and Helen MacInnes.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'm a great fan of the Gothic mysteries. I grew up reading Barbara Michaels, although I didn't know the term for those books back then and did not branch out to other authors until adulthood when discovering this. I have several Victoria Holt to read since I found the section and figured it out while browsing a used bookstore, but have not got to most of them yet. I read Mary Stewart's, Madam, Will you Talk? earlier this year. Beverly C. Warren did not have many books, but is another author in this vein I've enjoyed.

Personally I classify V.C. Andrews as Gothic anymore, although those books may be categorized differently by book sellers. To me they have a similar feel and melodramatic exaggeration which fits.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiction, gothic, mystery, romance, victoria holt