Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-10-2018, 02:21 AM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Vertical Scrolling

When reading on the kindle fire do you prefer to turn pages via swipe or use the vertical scrolling feature? Personally, I like the vertical scrolling feature since it allows for an easier reading experience when holding the tablet with one hand.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I tap, never swipe. I have little hands, there's no way I can hold a Kindle Fire HD 8 in one hand. It's super heavy. Now my Kindle Fire HD 6 I can. It's so tiny.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Yeah, my fire 7 is light and easy to hold in one hand and using vertical scrolling makes it easy to go back and forth between pages rather than horizontal page turning. I also enjoy using the text to speech feature w/vertical scrolling. However, when I tried to switch to immersion reading I got a prompt that I had to switch off vertical scrolling and switch to "paginated view."

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 11-20-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Yeah, my fire 7 is light and easy to hold in one hand and using vertical scrolling makes it easy to go back and forth between pages rather than horizontal page turning. I also enjoy using the text to speech feature w/vertical scrolling. However, when I tried to switch to immersion reading I got a prompt that I had to switch off vertical scrolling and switch to "paginated view."
I hope they will figure out to get immersion reading with Continuous Scrolling: it is also limited to Paginated mode in the iOS and Android apps. Also, on iOS, Speak Screen does not work in CS mode.

They also need to add some navigation assistance when in Continuous Scrolling mode, such as a scroller on the right side, if not a Page View mode (e.g. with multiple vertical ‘strips’ to see what is coming up).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I tap, never swipe. I have little hands, there's no way I can hold a Kindle Fire HD 8 in one hand. It's super heavy. Now my Kindle Fire HD 6 I can. It's so tiny.
I might have to re-commission my HD 6 and see how Continuous Scrolling works on it. I always liked the form factor of HD 6, though with 5.5” screen on smartphone (albeit different aspect ratio), I have a much lighter and better performance device to use.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't use a Fire, but those times I read on my iPhone 7+, I like the scroll option. But if I'm using my iPad mini, I use regular page turns via a tap. I don't swipe when turning pages.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

When it comes to Kindle on iPads, the thing that bothers me most is the lack of even basic keyboard navigation support for turning pages. Apple Books (and at least some other reading apps) have this. I often have an external keyboard attached and would like to turn pages and scroll using that instead of having to touch the screen.