Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Review: Got a new Opus!

My Cybook Opus arrived yesterday and here I shall do a short review of it.

Is it just me or are the buttons hard to press? I have long nails, especially on my thumb because I type using my fingernail on my Samsung Omnia 2 touchscreen. So due to my long nail, I cannot press the centre button on my Opus. Furthermore, all the buttons require a fair bit of pressure to press; this does not make reading effortless on the Opus.

And because the buttons are such b**ch to press, reading PDF is impossible. Even PDF books loaned from my city elibrary. Zoom in too much, I have to scroll around, and the buttons just ain't helping. I think I will stick to ePub format (but a lot of my library's ebooks are in PDF!)

I am happy with the screen; compared to Sony PRS600, it is a lot less reflective and works very well with my Ikea bedside lamp; tilt it to the right angle and it is paper-like.

I like the cover it came with; it is commendable that hard boards are in place in the cover so it protects the screen from pin pressure. I also like how lightweight this device is! Easy to hold and carry around.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
elmargol
Enthusiast
elmargol began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyloey View Post
Is it just me or are the buttons hard to press?
I had the same problem. The buttonts get softer after some time.
elmargol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyloey View Post
My Cybook Opus arrived yesterday and here I shall do a short review of it.

Is it just me or are the buttons hard to press? I have long nails, especially on my thumb because I type using my fingernail on my Samsung Omnia 2 touchscreen. So due to my long nail, I cannot press the centre button on my Opus. Furthermore, all the buttons require a fair bit of pressure to press; this does not make reading effortless on the Opus.

And because the buttons are such b**ch to press, reading PDF is impossible. Even PDF books loaned from my city elibrary. Zoom in too much, I have to scroll around, and the buttons just ain't helping. I think I will stick to ePub format (but a lot of my library's ebooks are in PDF!)

I am happy with the screen; compared to Sony PRS600, it is a lot less reflective and works very well with my Ikea bedside lamp; tilt it to the right angle and it is paper-like.

I like the cover it came with; it is commendable that hard boards are in place in the cover so it protects the screen from pin pressure. I also like how lightweight this device is! Easy to hold and carry around.

Seems to me that you may benefit from using a sewing thimble .....

(just a thought).....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I realize this is an older thread but I just played with an Opus for the first time last weekend. My initial reaction was that it's a great little ereader. Then I tired pressing the buttons. Yikes, those buttons suck. If they do get softer over time there is hope.

One thing I couldn't tell in the store, does it support ADE? I assume so if you're using library books.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
I realize this is an older thread but I just played with an Opus for the first time last weekend. My initial reaction was that it's a great little ereader. Then I tired pressing the buttons. Yikes, those buttons suck. If they do get softer over time there is hope.

One thing I couldn't tell in the store, does it support ADE? I assume so if you're using library books.
Yes, it supports ADE. The buttons do soften somewhat, but I still prefer to use the buttons on the direction pad for page turns. Just feels more comfortable for me.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I guess that they make the buttons purposely tough as they soften in time. If they installed them "just fine" from the start, the use would end up making them too loose.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I guess that they make the buttons purposely tough as they soften in time. If they installed them "just fine" from the start, the use would end up making them too loose.
I have Cybook from February 2008 and button is still damn hard to press. Don't count too much on buttons getting much better. You might find certain angles that let you use somewhat less force, like I did, but that's all.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Personally, when you've played with a Sega MegaDrive (Genesis for the US friends) and you've touched that D-Pad of theirs... no button can resist. My brother and I really suffered sometimes while playing, for the buttons were so rough that they hurt our fingers. Then again, neither of us would lose on Samurai Shodown for the world, so we bore the pain and kept fighting xD
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
I'll second/third/fourth/whatever on the button thing.

I just got an opus a couple of weeks ago, and have noticed the stiff buttons. However, I rotated the screen so that the two "side" buttons are at the top of the device, and the d-pad is on the right, and then turned the accelerometer off.

This lets me read in a sitting position with the ball of my right thumb on the d-pad, and I can easily roll my thumb a little to click the page-forward button on the d-pad.

When I'm reading in bed, I tend to read while laying on my side, so I put the opus in my right hand with my fingers curled over the top of the device; my index finger then rests on the page-forward button. In that position, with the heel of my palm already against the back of the reader, it's not a big deal to crunch my index finger a little to press the long thin button.

I am right handed, though, so ymmv. I also don't have long fingernails, and my hands aren't massive bear-hands.
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote