Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Review: JE-100 OEM eBook Reading Device

Introduction

Welcome to my review of the JE-100 OEM eBook Reading Device. Although this device is aimed directly at the eBook reading market, it has some great multi-function capabilities as well. In this review I will detail the features and functions that are included with the device as well as some additional software for reading, web browsing, listening to music, and watching video. I’ll concentrate mostly on the device’s performance as an eBook reader as that is the market the device has been designed for.

Notes: This review is based on a device with an LCD screen. If you are looking for a device with an e-Ink screen this review may not fit your requirements. I will use the word “multifunction” quite often to describe this device. My definition of a multifunction device is a device that can be used for more than just ebook reading. It can also be used to surf the internet, read comics, play games, listen to music, and even watch video. Any screenshots in this review can be clicked to reveal the full-size version. There is a YouTube video available near the end of the review (sorry for my camera and video quality – I’m working on improvements for my next review).

Specifications

- Operating System: Microsoft Windows CE 5.0(English)
- Processor: 400 MHz
- LCD: 7” Color Display LCD with Touch panel
- Storage: Nand Flash 128 MB
- RAM: 64 MB RAM
- External Memory: TF card up to 4 GB.
- USB Ports: Host: 1 Device: 1
- Images viewer
- Audio and video Player
- MS Office, MS Excel, MS Power Point, PDF etc.
- Audio: Built in Speaker/ Audio Out
- Battery: Li-ion 3.7V (1500mA)
- Battery Life: 3 to 6 hours.
- Dimension: 18.2cmx11.7cmx1.45cm
- Weight with Battery: 250 grams
- Wifi Optional with wireless adapter sold separately (about $30)

Packaging and Build Quality

The box the device was delivered in is very solid and the outside is white, green, and black. I must say that the packaging was much higher quality than the SmartQ7 I reviewed in a previous thread. On that same note, the build quality is solid and superior to the SmartQ7. The front face is metal and the back is hard plastic. There are only 3 buttons total on this device. One button for Power, the other two being the paging buttons for reading (also serving as Up/Down keys in other applications). The unit is very light and very comfortable to hold. It is about half as thick as the SmartQ7. As far as the unit’s build goes, the only thing I miss is having a built-in stand, but other than that this thing is really a nice feeling device. Although it has the same size screen as a SmartQ7, the dimensions are smaller in just about every measurement direction. Odds are pretty good that you won’t be carrying this unit around in your pocket, and if that is a requirement for you, then this might not be the device for you. On the other hand, if you want something with a gorgeous big screen, not too big to carry all over the place, not too small for your poor eyes, then this form factor will be just right for you.

The 7” LCD Screen, Lighting Situations, and Multifunction

One thing I noticed right after I powered this device on was the quality of the screen. It is much more vivid and clear than my SmartQ7 and rivals the screen quality of my iPod. It is fantastic for reading indoors! On the other hand, the device is not designed to use outside in direct sunlight, and in my outside tests, it performed no different than any LCD device, which is to say, without some shade you may as well be holding a slab of plastic and metal. This is nothing new to fans of LCD devices, as most of us buy them with the backlight and multifunction capabilities far before we buy them to use outside. If you are a student or someone who uses their devices outside for long periods of time without shade, you will want to look at e-Ink devices. On the other hand, if you like to read in bed without clip-on lights, read in dark rooms or on planes, then keep reading this review, because LCD devices are perfect for that situation.

JE-100 OEM eBook Device VS. SmartQ7 - Screen Comparison

Keep in mind that e-Ink devices are designed to read things on. They are usually a single function device designed to deliver whatever type of reading content you have (be it an ebook, newspaper, magazine, or even RSS). You might get black and white comics on it. You won’t get video and you are limited to whatever music player may or may not be built into the device. On the other hand, a good multifunction LCD device can surf the net (often with more than one browser application available), watch video, listen to music (with several options for which player you use), and read comics in glorious color. The tradeoff for these extra features is less battery life, and no direct sunlight support. I could go on with this topic, but it is a very opinionated discussion here at MobileRead, with valid arguments on each side about which device is better. This review is meant to inform and let you, the reader, choose which is right for you. Maybe both!

Battery Life

The box says the battery lasts from 3 to 6 hours and it doesn’t lie. If you are just reading you may be able to squeeze more than 6 hours out of it before a recharge. Playing music and reading will make it drain faster and if you hook up the optional wireless adapter to surf the internet you won’t see more than 3 hours with it. This would be about average for a device created a year or two ago, but these days most of us expect a little longer from our battery. If you don’t mind charging the device more often, this isn’t an issue, as many of us have grown used to doing just that. The device can charge via AC Adapter or USB connection to your PC.

The Default Operating System

This device has WinCE 5.0 which looks a bit like Windows XP as far as the looks of the user interface. If you boot the device from scratch (press and hold the power button for a second or two) it takes somewhere between 27 and 30 seconds to arrive at a custom designed menu shell that offers the base software included with the device (ebook reading, music, movies, and photos). There is an icon that allows you to quickly switch to what the device calls “Computer Mode” and gives you complete access to your WinCE operating system. This custom shell is demonstrated in the documentation download I have made available in a RapidShare link. Since the unit is only on loan to me for review purposes, I won’t be hacking the OS to see if I can remove the custom shell and boot directly to WinCE or another shell. On the other hand, I do believe doing that would be quite easy. The device also goes into sleep mode if you press the power button quickly. It will return instantly to whatever you were doing if press the power button again. This feature works flawlessly and is something that didn’t always work as well on my SmartQ7 (depending on the OS I was using).

Once you get to the WinCE Computer Mode you can easily switch back to the eBook shell by just using a convenient link in the Start Menu. You can also use an icon located in the system tray to rotate the screen and turn the toggle the on-screen keyboard. I found all these little tools built right into the OS without any fine-tuning to be very useful.

Thickness - about half as thick as the SmartQ7

Performance

There are many types of performance to cover here, but let’s start off with the performance of WinCE itself on this device. Frankly, I believe this device suffers a little from lack of memory. Things aren’t as snappy as they were on my SmartQ7. Menus draw noticeably slower (as in from the Start Menu). Launching applications isn’t much different, but loading a book takes a little longer. Reading a page for a comic takes a little longer. Browsing the internet is kind of sluggish at times, but functions just fine other than that. I’ll cover more on performance specifics as the review continues.

AlReader eBook Reader with Custom Background / AlReader Default Settings

The Device as an eBook Reader

This device is definitely one of the best LCD eBook readers I have ever used. The build quality is solid and feels good to hold. I have loaded many different WinCE eBook applications on the device. I will details these later, but most of them worked without any problems. My favorite two would have to be the AlReader 2.0 and Mobipocket readers. With some configuration, AlReader really shines, as demonstrated in the screenshots. I found tapping the screen to turn pages better than using the buttons, and actually disabled them for my use because I found my fingers accidentally hit them when I would change my hold of the device. Loading books on this device takes about as long as they did on my Nokia 770 IT and definitely not as fast as my SmartQ7. Also, the device seems to turn pages a slower than my SmartQ7. These aren’t deal breakers if you are planning to use the device as an eBook reader only, but the performance is definitely noticeable if you are using some of the other functions the device has. The crisp screen quality and better build and weight make this device a better ebook reader than the SmartQ7. This is no surprise, as the device was designed for that very purpose. An item to note is that the ebook reading software that is loaded default with this device only supports TXT format. An odd choice for a device aimed at reading! This is easily solved by simply installing any number of reading applications the device supports.

Foxit PDF Viewer on JE-100 OEM

Viewing/Reading PDF Format

After loading up my free copy of Scott Sigler’s Ancestor, I was surprised to find this device did pretty good as far as reading PDF ebooks. The best way to read them is in landscape mode, and of course you won’t have the full page on the screen, but you will get good quality and decent page turning speed. I don’t think the device would be good for people who want to view their PDFs in full screen on one page. In fact, most 7” devices just don’t have a big enough screen. You really need an 8.9’ or more to get a decent full screen PDF looking good. On the other hand, if you just want to read in landscape mode, be it a technical document or a fiction book, and don’t mind just seeing part of a page, then this device works quite well as a PDF reader.

Fortuna MP3 Player for WinCE

Listening to Music

I spent a good deal of time listening to music on the device. There was no noise or hiss in the background and the volume control worked well with a good deal of volume available. It would definitely serve as a good device to listen to music to while reading or surfing the internet.

Watching Videos

The bottom line is that this device is not the device to buy for video playback. It doesn’t support MKV or HD video of any kind. The formats it does support leave a bit to be desired as far as performance goes. With the plethora of new devices out there with powerful video capabilities, it would be wrong for me to state this device can compare. Let’s just say it can play video - if you don’t care about the quality, supported formats, or battery life.

MangaMeeyaCE Comic Reader on JE-100 OEM

Note: The screenshot above is the direct result of me scanning this comic book that I own. Please don't ask for a copy. This is a licensed comic and requires you to purchase it before you scan it to be used on your device.

Reading Comics

Testing MangaMeeyaCE Comic Book Viewer on this device was a dream. The crisp colorful 7” screen displayed them in all their glory. Screen loading times were actually quite good. I honestly didn’t see much difference in performance on this and my SmartQ7. It is best to view them in Portrait mode. You can go full screen and see a full page of panels for your comic book. I had no problems reading the text on the screen. If you use WinCE and need a good comic book viewer, MangaMeeyaCe is free and I included a link I found for the English version at the end of the review.

The Wireless Adapter and Internet Explorer on Google.com

Surfing The Net

I tried SkyFire, Internet Explorer, and UCWeb on this device and all worked without any problems. It doesn't load pages as fast as the SmartQ7. I would rate it just slightly faster than my Nokia N770 Internet Tablet. As you might have seen in the specifications, you need a Wireless Adapter that plugs into the USB Port in order to use the internet on this device. It worked without any issues as soon as I plugged it in. It is a little odd using it this way, and it sure uses a lot of battery power. If you want to use the internet alot on a device you buy, you may not like this solution.

Conclusion

Well we finally come to the end of this story and I’m going to be completely honest and state that this device is subpar as a multifunction device but quite excellent as a dedicated content reader. By content I mean eBooks, PDFs, Comics and music. Due to having only 64MB of RAM it is noticeably slower than the SmartQ7 and page turning is definitely slower. Still, if I had to choose between the two as a reader, I would choose this device. The feel of it in hand, the quality of the screen, and the ability to load many different reading applications without compatibility problems, make this a great reading device. Access to DRM'ed eBooks is always a good thing. The screen is colorful and vibrant, which definately makes a difference for reading.

There are quite a few tablet/slate/MID devices coming out right now. If you are looking for a multifunction device, your money may well be spent elsewhere with something that has more horsepower and video support. If you just want a great LCD eBook reader and don't mind features that are lacking as a multifunction unit, then you will love this device.

YouTube Video

This is my first video. I plan to get quite a bit better at this part of my reviews. I need to get a tripod so I don't have so much shaky-cam. Still, I think this video will give some of you more of a feel for this device than the screenshots do.

Click Here for the YouTube Video

Supplemental Links

Comic Book Reader for WinCE (MangaMeeyaCE in English)
Alreader Backgrounds - 800x480 backgrounds for the AlReader application
Ebook Documentation Files - these files come with the JE-100 OEM unit
US Supplier of JE-100 OEM Ebook Reader
Mobipocket eBook Reader - v5.3.582 tested and working on this device
AlReader eBook Reader - v2.0 testing and working on this device

Review Unit Information

The Review unit was supplied by E-lectio-divina, a United States distributor of several MID and PDA devices. They also specialize in some of the best Bible Software on eBook and multifunction devices. If you are interested in purchasing one of his devices, just contact him and tell him ColdSun (Heath Brown) sent you. He also asked that I include a link to his free bible reading software.

E-LectioReader Bible Reader

Up Next - The A81 MID

I will be writing another review on a very exciting product we only known as the A81 MID at this time. It is on the way to me now and I’ll let everyone know when it arrives.

The A81 MID - Up Next Review!

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-26-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added USB Charging Info
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Thanks for another excellent review!

As you can likely guess from previous questions, how does it do on large (20 MB+) graphic heavy PDFs. I suspect that 64 MB will be too small to be useful, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I'll see if I have something that large in PDF. My guess is that it just won't do so hot though. I was suprised how well it did with Ancestor by Scott Sigler, but that is only about 4MB. Maybe we will both be surprised.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Excellent review ColdSun ! I just rushed reading thru the review and have a couple questions. But I need to run at the moment, so I will come back later with those questions.

Wanted to just stop by and say "Thank You" though !!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nice review, and I find I have the same thoughts as you regarding the reading. I also agree that the lack of memory is its greatest drawback.

But I'd like to add one thing:

Quote:
On the other hand, the device is not designed to use outside in direct sunlight, and in my outside tests, it performed no different than any LCD device, which is to say, without some shade you may as well be holding a slab of plastic and metal. This is nothing new to fans of LCD devices, as most of us buy them with the backlight and multifunction capabilities far before we buy them to use outside.
You can read LCD devices perfectly outside, but they need to be transflective. If there was to arrive a transflective LCD device, 7", I'd buy it in a flash... I've read on my LCD based PDA in the hammock this summer with the backlight turned off.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Thx very much for a great review, waiting patiently for the A81 MID review
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I have tried Alreader, but stopped. I can't figure out how to toggle back from full screen mode in order to get the menu bar.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Ellen,

Click or tap the middle of the screen in AlReader to toggle fullscreen mode. It takes a second on the JE-100.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Ellen,

Click or tap the middle of the screen in AlReader to toggle fullscreen mode. It takes a second on the JE-100.
Thanks Coldsun!

I tapped everywhere I could on the screen except the middle!

Also I love your review. I have been thinking about writing something on the JE100 and usability (newbies to the ebook world).

Ellen
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Ellen,

So glad you liked the review. I would love to see this usability report you are talking about. Don't forget to try the AlReader backgrounds located in the link section of the review. You might find one that fits your taste. I never thought I would read with a background, but I sure love my old book background.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi ColdSun - couple questions.

1. The slot at the bottom of the device looks like standard SD card size, but the spec says it takes TF cards. Could you please confirm if the device uses standard SD cards or MicroSD/TF. Also, does it support SDHC cards ?

2. Is it possible to install new apps on the SD/TF card instead of main memory ?

3. Does the JE100 support brightness control ? Assuming it does - approx how many levels does it support (may be as compared to the SQ7) ? I do most of my reading in dark, hence being able to set the brightness very low is quite important for me.

4. Does this unit come with a US voltage compatible charger or European (as the SQ7 did) ?

5. Do you know if the unit came with latest firmware installed ? Did it support ActiveSync out of the box ?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

1. It most definately uses MicroSD/TF. It says up to 4GB on the spec and that is the smallest SDHC so it must support it. I don't have a MicroSD larger than 2GB right now in order to test it. It very well could support larger SDHC and further testing is needed.

2. I installed all of the apps on the SD card - so yes.

3. It has 10 levels of brightness controls from the control panel of WinCE.

4. This looks to me like a US adapter but I'll pose this question to the supplier and see what the response is.

5. I didn't see any firmware updates on the JoinTech page, so I'm guessing this is the latest. It worked perfectly with ActiveSync out of the box, although there are USB drivers in that eBook Documents link I put in the review (Supplemental Links). I didn't have to use the drivers for some reason. I'm guessing it is because it uses the same driver as the SmartQ7 and I had that already installed?

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-26-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
imaredr
Collector

Question for JE100 users. I usually use ereader, but decided today to read a book using Mobipocket. I have 5.3 build 582 installed. I am puzzled by the side buttons. They only advance about a paragraph rather than a full page. I went to options and tried to map the buttons trying the forward and next options. That made no difference. The only way I can advance pages is through tapping the screen and then that is slow and sometimes I think I am tapping in the wrong place. Is that normal?

Ellen
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
imaredr
Collector

Coldsun,

Have you tried using another memory card other than the 2gb that comes with the device? I need more space and have tried 3 different 4gb cards and the JE100 doesn't recognize the card.

Ellen
Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
rana
Gadget Freak

Ellen - I have a suspicion that the JE100 does NOT support SDHC cards. I believe most 4GB cards are SDHC although I have seen (very rarely) 4GB cards that are standard SD. I have one of those 4GB SD cards, but unfortunately it is not MicroSD.

If you can find a 4GB nonSDHC card, try that.

UPDATE:
Here are two places that seem to be selling 4GB MicroSD cards (not MicroSDHC -- at least from the picture)

$14.95 + free shipping: http://www.meritline.com/lexar-4gb-m...--p-39164.aspx

$12.99 + shipping: http://www.supermediastore.com/categ...apacity%3D4GB|

Last edited by rana; 10-26-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added links for 4GB MicroSD cards