Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
kkim
kkim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy ebook library doesn't show SD card

PRS-505, Vista and XP, ebook library 3.0, SD card=SDHC 8GB.

XP: doesn't mount the SD card as a removable drive when I connect the reader to PC. it does mount the internal memory.

Vista: does mount the SD card fine.

Problem: the ebook library program doesn't show SD card when I connect the reader to PC, both XP and Vista.

Does anyone have this problem and know how to resolve this?

Thanks.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 505 only supports SDHC as from the latest firmware, and even then the support is a little wonky. Some cards work, some do not, some appear to work but lead to system instability and crashes. There may also be more drain on the battery, but I don't know of any objective research into this issue, so it may be subjective. Try a different card if you have one, or a low-level format of this card.

I have had better luck with Sony MemoryStick.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
kkim

Thanks for the suggestion. Mine has the latest firm ware. I guess I have to wait until Sony fix this problem.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
In another thread, igorsk mentioned SD Formatter as something that's probably worth trying...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
kkim

gwynevans,
Thanks -- I've tried that also. Didn't work. I contacted Sony, and they just can't help me via email and wants me to call them. Can't find the time...
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
kkim

It seems that PRS-505 doesn't support 8GB SDHC (even with the firmware update) too well. I use Kingston SDHC 8GB, and read only PDF files.
- On 8GB SDHC, out of 670+ files, only 430+ shows in the list.
- Some are big (40MB), some are small size files.
- Found another user on the net having the similar issue with SDHC card (different brand, but well known).
- On 2GB card, I put those files that are not showing up with 8GB SDHC, they show up fine and readable.
- Contacted Sony, they want me to call them. I know where it would go, and don't want to waste my time.

Tags
ebook library, sd card, sdhc