Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #136
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Unless people want to use a different store other than Amazon and sideload DRMd books onto the Kindle. That is one limitation where Amazon is bullying by not letting anybody else apply the DRM to books.
Last I heard "bullying" is about intimidating people and forcing them to do what you say.

I don't see how refusing to kowtow to other people's magical annointed standard falls within that definition. Amazon has been doing its thing since before there was an epub and letting customers vote their wallets.

(And, technically, Bezos offered to license Kindle DRM back circa 2009-10. Nobody stepped up, presumably because doing so requires supporting Whispernet and letting Amazon control the customer relationship. Which is why Amazon won't kneel before Zod....er, Adobe.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #137
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I've pointed out before that, back in 2007, Sony had all the elements necessary to big a major player in ebooks; good hardware, an adequate ebookstore, and a proprietary format.
And they had a 2-year lead on Amazon and their frumpy Kindle 1.

They were masters of their own fate but instead of betting on their own ecosystem, as they do in the video game arena, they chose to bet on "interoperability" and somebody else's ecosystem, surrendering total control over the customer experience and trying to compete solely on hardware merit.

They are hardly the only (or even first) company to fritter away early market domination by betting on multiplatform interoperability but they do present the biggest missed oportunity (so far) this century.

We can only wonder what might've been if they had chosen to go toe to toe with Amazon on ebooks and tried to build up their lrf bookstore instead of wasting the better part of a year relaunching their business. At a minimum, the shift to near-cost reader pricing in 2010 wouldn't have hurt them as badly.

The real money in ebooks is in the content, just as in gaming, but Sony gave it up and bet on hardware instead.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hachette wants to do what's best for Hachette and Amazon wants what's best for Amazon. It's just like Market Basket, Jon. The customer pays as the big boys duke it out. I'm in the a-plague-on-both-their-houses camp.
I do not have a large budget for books. So I am firmly in the camp that doesn't want Hatchette to win and be allowed to go agency.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #139
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have yet to hear Amazon's "bullying" explained.
Also by the same extension you are locked into Kobo or Barnes & Noble depending on which device you buy. Unless of course you know how to sideload books -- in which case please do not pretend it is any harder to do so on a Kindle.
That was not my point but since you mention it: I want to have a choice of shops under legal circumstances for buying living literature (not only download 70+ years dead authors). Being locked with Adobe DRM still leaves a selection of booksellers. Being locked with Amazon doesn't, at least not in Germany. The Kobo Aura HD, which would currently be my only replacement candidate should my T3 break, supports Adobe DRM.

But I agree with fjtorres that it's not Amazon's fault that Sony has wrecked a big chance.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #140
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
That was not my point but since you mention it: I want to have a choice of shops under legal circumstances for buying living literature (not only download 70+ years dead authors). Being locked with Adobe DRM still leaves a selection of booksellers. Being locked with Amazon doesn't, at least not in Germany. The Kobo Aura HD, which would currently be my only replacement candidate should my T3 break, supports Adobe DRM.

But I agree with fjtorres that it's not Amazon's fault that Sony has wrecked a big chance.
And it is not Amazon who did that -- it is the publishers.

Additionally, what is harder in Germany than in the US, about sideloading DeDRMed books onto a Kindle?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #141
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

Additionally, what is harder in Germany than in the US, about sideloading DeDRMed books onto a Kindle?
In Germany books are valued more. So the threshold of doing something illegal with them is much harder to cross or justify.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #142
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yeah, Sony couldn't survive on the razor blade model (selling the device at cost and making the margin up on the books) since their book service had no chance of competing with Amazon's. The writing was on the wall early. Ereaders are strategically important to Amazon whereas the business definitely wasn't at Sony. Sony's only hope was to go high end, but there was limited ability to introduce high end features as the technology rapidly matured....and part of the high end became tablets. The services around the device became more important than the hardware, putting Sony at a big disadvantage.

If Sony invested in color epaper or in an epaper with really high refresh rates...maybe they could have done well by reselling the tech....but people don't seem to be too excited about epaper nowadays with tablets being cheap.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #143
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In Germany books are valued more. So the threshold of doing something illegal with them is much harder to cross or justify.
"I don't wanna" != harder
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #144
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"I don't wanna" != harder
True, but there is also not much need to shop around in the first place. Book retail prices are quite high in Germany without much wiggle room to discount. Interesting as well - I have never seen a bookstore (B&M) in Germany that would not order a book for free (no extra s&p) within a week or less. That even includes foreign (language) books that would not be stocked in store normally. Bookstores always had great service even when other retail stores were somewhat lacking.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #145
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
True, but there is also not much need to shop around in the first place. Book retail prices are quite high in Germany without much wiggle room to discount. Interesting as well - I have never seen a bookstore (B&M) in Germany that would not order a book for free (no extra s&p) within a week or less. That even includes foreign (language) books that would not be stocked in store normally. Bookstores always had great service even when other retail stores were somewhat lacking.
OK, so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
That was not my point but since you mention it: I want to have a choice of shops under legal circumstances for buying living literature (not only download 70+ years dead authors). Being locked with Adobe DRM still leaves a selection of booksellers. Being locked with Amazon doesn't, at least not in Germany.
is a complete non-issue? Sounds good.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #146
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
OK, so:

is a complete non-issue? Sounds good.
Minor inconveniences. Google is evil, Amazon is evil. Don't buy a eink Kindle then if you are so afraid of beeing locked in. I don't see the problem at all. Also don't buy any eink device that doesn't let you install the Kindle app and any ADE epub reader of your choice at the same time. Problem solved and completely legal. It is possible to make an issue out of anything you dislike.

Or, of course, liberate your books and read on any device you wish.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #147
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Minor inconveniences. Google is evil, Amazon is evil. Don't buy a eink Kindle then if you are so afraid of beeing locked in. I don't see the problem at all. Also don't buy any eink device that doesn't let you install the Kindle app and any ADE epub reader of your choice at the same time. Problem solved and completely legal. It is possible to make an issue out of anything you dislike.

Or, of course, liberate your books and read on any device you wish.
I totally agree. I was just wondering what might make Germany a special snowflake in some peoples' minds.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #148
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I totally agree. I was just wondering what might make Germany a special snowflake in some peoples' minds.
Book burnings for example was a pretty big deal. Actually anything WWI and WWII. Leaves people protective about their literature and holds books dear. Love of books appears to coincide with better education systems as well.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #149
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:

Technically nothing. Unless that I don't buy a reader device which prevents me from legally using another store than Amazon. This is what you cannot avoid in Germany. I have heard that in the US there are non-Amazon stores which you can access for DRMed content using a Kindle. Is that right?
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #150
ymmv
Enthusiast
ymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hachette wants to do what's best for Hachette and Amazon wants what's best for Amazon. It's just like Market Basket, Jon. The customer pays as the big boys duke it out. I'm in the a-plague-on-both-their-houses camp.
Hachette wants to do what's best for Hachette and brick and mortar book stores. Amazon would be perfectly happy to demolish both bookstores and publishers and become the only place in town where you can buy books (and everything else under the sun).

Hachette wants to sell both ebooks and physical books (hardcovers/tradepapberack). With a simultaneous release of the hardcover and the ebook, the price of the ebook will be relatively high. Once the (trade) paperback is out, price of the ebook will drop. I'd hate to see brick and mortar bookstores go out of business because of Amazon's domination, so I support Hachette and other publishers who want to keep competition and choices alive. Amazon is far too dominant already, it shouldn't become even more so. Cheaper ebook prices isn't everything. Look at Walmart and how that company has ruined small businesses everywhere while paying their employees next to nothing.
ymmv is offline   Reply With Quote