Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #241
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Amazon is just passing on the increased cost of shipping and adding content to their libraries. Netflix has done this and Comcast does it a couple times a year. While I do not see the price increase ($1.67/month) as a key factor in deciding to use or lose Prime, it does remind people that they are paying for television.

We cut the cable nearly five years ago. With 40 broadcast stations in our market, there is a lot of programming to choose from. Cutting cable reduced my recurring entertainment bill from $170/month to $53/month. That $53 pays for an ISP and Netflix. The ISP's rate is guaranteed for life.

Since cutting the cable, we have saved ~$7k. That presumes that my rate would not have risen in seven years -- which is a silly presumption. We've spent about $2k of this on infrastructure -- a new router, two antennas, an amplified combiner, an amplified splitter, five set top DVRs, five blu-ray players (which streamed Netflix), six Rokus, and PlayOn/PlayLater with HD plugins.

I recently put four Simple DVRs in my basement which collect broadcast television on 2t usb disks. I can stream the collected programs or live tv from any one of these to as many as five devices which may include Rokus, tablets, or PCs. This works on my LAN or remotely. I streamed from my antenna to a Roku at my mother's house. That cost ~$600.

We mostly watch broadcast television. There are the national affiliates (CBS, ABCx2, NBC, Fox), the local independents, national syndicators (RTV, MeTV, ION, Cozi, Bounce), movie channels (This, Fox Movies, getTV), and PBS (Prime, Kids, Explore, World, Create).

When I have a hankering for nudity or curse words, we watch Netflix -- either live or time shifted with PlayLater. We watch some programming via PlayOn (Hulu, Food Network, CBS and Fox Classics) and some via Roku channels (Fox News, Amazon Instant, History, Lifetime, and A&E). All of these account for less than 10% of our viewing.

I have been tempted to switch from Netflix to Prime. We do a lot of shopping on Amazon and all have Fires, so there is some additional value. In the end, I prefer the Netflix catalog, plan my purchases, and content myself with my own ebook library.

We have looked at Hulu, but most of the content is available over the air or on Netflix, so that's not appealing.

The fact that Amazon has increased their free shipping threshold from $25 to $35 has had a greater impact on our relationship. I have postponed or passed on purchases due to shipping costs. Often, Wal-mart or Best Buy are competitive since I can pick up items on my way home from work.

The bottom line is that there is a cost and a value associated with every purchase. Each person has to determine when cost exceeds value. For me with Pay TV, that ship has sailed.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #242
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hell, 90-seconds is longer than most of my commercial breaks ever last to begin with!
Isn't the first Hulu commercial (per episode) a full 90 seconds? If not, then whatever that time is, that's what you get. It just shows you a nag instead of the commercial.

Again, I haven't watched Hulu in a while, I could be off about random anythings.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #243
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Isn't the first Hulu commercial (per episode) a full 90 seconds? If not, then whatever that time is, that's what you get. It just shows you a nag instead of the commercial.

Again, I haven't watched Hulu in a while, I could be off about random anythings.
I don't know. It's all moot anyway as I don't watch Hulu+ with a Browser, so Adblock Plus isn't really a viable option.

I watch Hulu+ with its Roku channel: I get a very quick opening commercial (30 seconds or less) with later breaks that consist of 2-3 commercials that are usually less than 90 seconds in total (each break).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #244
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The Amazon.ca web site is still pretty lame, and they won't do second day to my location regardless of Prime or not, so I've passed on Canadian Prime. OTOH, I love my US Prime, since I have a mailbox in Washington state. And it really helps being able to predict when the stuff will get there so we don't need to overload the poor Pony Express guy.

Pardon me if off topic, but how do you get things from your US Box to where you live? Not being nosy, If it was practical cash-wise I would do it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #245
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Cutting cable reduced my recurring entertainment bill from $170/month to $53/month. That $53 pays for an ISP and Netflix. The ISP's rate is guaranteed for life.
Wow! Where do you live that you get such cheap internet that's guaranteed for life?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #246
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Wow! Where do you live that you get such cheap internet that's guaranteed for life?
I live in Danville, NH USA. When I quit Comcast, they wanted $80/month for internet ("You might as well keep Basic Service as it is only a few dollars more than internet alone."), so I called around and found Fairpoint Communications which purchased Verizon's northern New England infrastructure. They wanted $50 per month. A few months into the relationship, they called and offered to lower the price, increase the bandwidth, and guarantee the rate for life. No catch. I kind of love Fairpoint.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #247
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Amazon is just passing on the increased cost of shipping and adding content to their libraries. Netflix has done this and Comcast does it a couple times a year. While I do not see the price increase ($1.67/month) as a key factor in deciding to use or lose Prime, it does remind people that they are paying for television.

We cut the cable nearly five years ago. With 40 broadcast stations in our market, there is a lot of programming to choose from. Cutting cable reduced my recurring entertainment bill from $170/month to $53/month. That $53 pays for an ISP and Netflix. The ISP's rate is guaranteed for life.

Since cutting the cable, we have saved ~$7k. That presumes that my rate would not have risen in seven years -- which is a silly presumption. We've spent about $2k of this on infrastructure -- a new router, two antennas, an amplified combiner, an amplified splitter, five set top DVRs, five blu-ray players (which streamed Netflix), six Rokus, and PlayOn/PlayLater with HD plugins.

I recently put four Simple DVRs in my basement which collect broadcast television on 2t usb disks. I can stream the collected programs or live tv from any one of these to as many as five devices which may include Rokus, tablets, or PCs. This works on my LAN or remotely. I streamed from my antenna to a Roku at my mother's house. That cost ~$600.

We mostly watch broadcast television. There are the national affiliates (CBS, ABCx2, NBC, Fox), the local independents, national syndicators (RTV, MeTV, ION, Cozi, Bounce), movie channels (This, Fox Movies, getTV), and PBS (Prime, Kids, Explore, World, Create).

When I have a hankering for nudity or curse words, we watch Netflix -- either live or time shifted with PlayLater. We watch some programming via PlayOn (Hulu, Food Network, CBS and Fox Classics) and some via Roku channels (Fox News, Amazon Instant, History, Lifetime, and A&E). All of these account for less than 10% of our viewing.

I have been tempted to switch from Netflix to Prime. We do a lot of shopping on Amazon and all have Fires, so there is some additional value. In the end, I prefer the Netflix catalog, plan my purchases, and content myself with my own ebook library.

We have looked at Hulu, but most of the content is available over the air or on Netflix, so that's not appealing.

The fact that Amazon has increased their free shipping threshold from $25 to $35 has had a greater impact on our relationship. I have postponed or passed on purchases due to shipping costs. Often, Wal-mart or Best Buy are competitive since I can pick up items on my way home from work.

The bottom line is that there is a cost and a value associated with every purchase. Each person has to determine when cost exceeds value. For me with Pay TV, that ship has sailed.
Don't do it, I mean, switch from NetFlix to Amazon Prime.

I cut the cable like 4 months ago. I also returned the provided Comcast modem and setup my own; now I get 70 Mbps download speed (peaks), when I actually pay for 50 Mbps. Old Comcast modem was crap.

We have Netflix, Aereo, Hulu Plus and prime, but Netflix beats Amazon on movies. Hulu is a good complementary service because it focuses on TV shows that my wife loves. But I'm keeping Prime mostly because shipping, as I order a lot.

I'm a huge Amazon fan, but to me, Amazon Prime content still is in develop. Not enough for having it alone.

By the way, I pay 53 bucks with taxes for Comcast blast. AT&T is not good and fast enough for what I need, as I do gaming too. So I need fast Internet with low latency, which can only be provided, unfortunately, by Comcast, at least in my area.

Now, to the topic. 99 per year for Prime is still a bargain. It's around 8 dollars per month. I can't imagine any person in USA, with a decent job, that can't afford that. Of course, you can argue that and say you have different priorities, fair enough, but still, 8 dollars a month is not a very expensive proposition giving the case of the added value: free shipping, access to movies, some ebooks free to rent, online music storage.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #248
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The ads on Hulu Plus wouldn't be so bad if there were only one or two breaks per one-hour (42 minute) show, but some shows have as many as 4 or 5, same as broadcast, and I just find that extremely annoying. Not to mention they repeat the same ads in the same show, even more annoying. I have a real problem with ads being on a pay service -- you either get me to pay or get to show me ads, but not both, thanks.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #249
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My biggest problem with the Hulu Plus ads was that they would constantly get stuck. I don't know if they were buffering, or if there were other issues, but it would make a 15 second ad a several minute long torture device.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #250
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Pardon me if off topic, but how do you get things from your US Box to where you live? Not being nosy, If it was practical cash-wise I would do it.

Helen
1. I live relatively near the border.
2. I regularly have work that requires me to go to Washington state.
3. Even when I don't have work down there, I'll collect a bunch of orders and then drive down and stay overnight.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #251
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Thanks for this tip, pidgeon!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #252
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
8 dollars a month is not a very expensive proposition giving the case of the added value: free shipping, access to movies, some ebooks free to rent, online music storage.
I have slow internet, so no movies. I have plenty of my own stuff to read, so I'd probably never get to the loaners. I bought my mp3s through them, so I've got the storage anyway.

So, for me, it's all down to shipping. Is Prime shipping worth the $100 premium over standard free shipping?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #253
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I have slow internet, so no movies.
How slow is slow? You can stream standard-def movies with a download speed of about 1.5MBit/sec; high-def with about 3MBit/sec.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #254
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Now, to the topic. 99 per year for Prime is still a bargain. It's around 8 dollars per month. I can't imagine any person in USA, with a decent job, that can't afford that. Of course, you can argue that and say you have different priorities, fair enough, but still, 8 dollars a month is not a very expensive proposition giving the case of the added value: free shipping, access to movies, some ebooks free to rent, online music storage.
Quote:
... fair enough, but still, 8 dollars a month is not a very expensive ...
There are a lot of cheap services available, if you buy a lot of them, they add up. Simple math.
Quote:
... free shipping ...
They already have free shipping, you don't need prime for that.
Quote:
... access to movies ...
I don't think you need Prime to access Amazon movies.
Quote:
... some ebooks free to rent ...
Here in the U.S., there are no free rentals. If you have a Kindle (or Fire?), they have some additional benefits.
Quote:
... online music storage ...
Why would I consider this a plus if I don't use it. And I believe it is limited?

I'd imagine a lot of people with a decent job won't be getting Amazon Prime?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #255
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't think you need Prime to access Amazon movies.
You can of course rent or buy them without Prime, true. It's a matter of weighing up whether you're likely to exceed $8/month in doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote