Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Category Selection Nominations for March 2013

The March 2013 category selection will be the same as the other category selections we have done so far for 2013. We'll have one poll after all nominations are in; there will be no run-off poll. In case of a tie, I'll cast my vote as the tie-breaker.

* This thread will be open for 7 days or 21 fully seconded and thirded nominations (we don't want a poll that's too large), whichever comes first.

* The poll will be up for 4 days.

* Each member has three votes in this thread to use either as nominations or to second or third another members nominations.

The story thus far:

Quote:
The 2013 MobileRead Book Club Monthly Categories
  • January 2013: Second Chance No nominations this month. The polls will be comprised of selections that either came in second place or tied for second place during the previous 11months.
  • February Romance

For reference and comparison purposes ony, here are the 2012 Categories:
Spoiler:
January — RunnerUp (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)
February — Romance
March — Thriller/Suspense
April — Humour
May — Fantasy
June — Classic
July — Mystery/Crime
August — FreeForAll
September — NonFiction
October — Horror
November — Science Fiction
December — Classic

Fully nominated categories:

(1) Mystery/Thriller [sun surfer, WT Sharpe, Nyssa]

(2) Science Fiction [sun surfer, WT Sharpe, JSWolf]

(3) Adventure/Travel [sun surfer, GA Russell, issybird]

(4) Biography [issybird, orlok, Asawi]

(5) Major Literary Award Winners [orlok, Asawi, caleb72]

(6) Indie [caleb72, orlok, Hamlet53]

(7) Modern Fiction [John F, Hamlet53, issybird]

(8) Free for All [HomeInMyShoes, Nyssa, Asawi]

(9) Fantasy [Nyssa, tilia, fantasyfan]

(10) Classics [Synamon, fantasyfan, Hamlet53]

(11) Non-fiction [Synamon, tilia, colinsky]

(12) Greek Philosophy [medard, WT Sharpe, Bookatarian]

(13) Young Adult [fantasyfan, Bookatarian, RoccoPaco]

(14) Lottery [Dazrin, Bookatarian, RoccoPaco]

Nominations:

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-03-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: thru post 50
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll nominate:

Science Fiction

Adventure/Travel

Mystery/Thriller
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I will 2nd Mystery/Thriller.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I third Mystery.

I second Adventure.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll third science fiction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I will 2nd Mystery/Thriller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I third Mystery.

I second Adventure.

It looks like Tom was editing the nomination post while we were responding, which means I actually 3rd Mystery/Thriller and GA gets a vote back.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It looks like Tom was editing the nomination post while we were responding, which means I actually 3rd Mystery/Thriller and GA gets a vote back.
Tom needs to post his nominations just like the rest of us to prevent this from happening.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll third travel and nominate biography.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll third travel
What books would fit in travel other then travel guides?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What books would fit in travel other then travel guides?
Just about any of Mark Twain's most notable works. Any scifi novel whose main theme is time travel. Around the World in Eighty Days, Guliver's Travels, Swiss Family Robinson, 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Not that I'd recommend that one, it wasn't that good) - I take that back. It was okay, not great. The end justified the means, once you got through the "boring" parts. I had actually intended to get the sequel, but forgot until now, so I guess I should thank Jon for asking the question!

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-02-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Changed my mind.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Adventure/Travel and Mystery/Thriller

These are wrong. adventure does not go with travel just as mystery does not go with thriller. Sure there can be overlap, but in most cases, they are separate. These are just as bad as science fiction/fantasy. We already had a discussion to point out that science fiction and fantasy are different. So please, just get Sun Surfer to pick ONE genre for each multiple and let people renominate if they still want that genre.

It should either be adventure or travel and mystery or thriller. Please don't join genre's together that do not belong together. In face, joining any two genre's is wrong as each month is a singe genre, not a multiple genre. And please, don't let's start a vote if we can have multiple genre's in a given moth. That's just silly and would be an epic fail.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot find travel as a genre in Worldcat. This makes it a lot more limited then you think. Before this thread, would you have thought of those books you mentioned as being part of the travel genre?
When coupled with Adventure as it has been here, yes. The nominated category that is being "3rded" is Adventure/Travel which is why those books came to mind.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
When coupled...
Please erase your reply to my message and reread my message as I completely changed it as what I put wasn't really worth saying. The message I put in place was what was needed to be said.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict

Relax.

I understand what you're saying as far as pairing genres, and I agree that some - like Science Fiction vs Fantasy are not one in the same - but there are some that do just go together - like Mystery/Thriller/Suspense. As for the Adventure/Travel, I see it as specifying a subsection of adventure.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Relax.

I understand what you're saying as far as pairing genres, and I agree that some - like Science Fiction vs Fantasy are not one in the same - but there are some that do just go together - like Mystery/Thriller/Suspense. As for the Adventure/Travel, I see it as specifying a subsection of adventure.
You can have adventure without being part of travel. You can have thriller without being part of mystery. So really, they don't belong. Also, each month is a singe genre month. We don't have a twisted mess of genres for a given month.

for example, a travelog has nothing to do with adventure but it does belong in travel. So you see, these can and will cause problems if we start allowing the combining of genres that don't go together. In fact, there are no two genres that go together 100%.

Another example, the Vince Flynn book that I just read fits in thriller but not at all in mystery.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-02-2012 at 11:47 PM.