Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
How's the evenness of the kobo glow screen?

As a recent Kindle PW owner, I'm curious - on the side with the LEDs, are there any dark spots, or any hints (whiteness etc) the LEDs are there?

Or is the screen completely even, with no "blotchiness" ?
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
There is a definite 'smokiness' towards the bottom where the LEDs are located. This is totally off-set though if you leave the bar at the bottom as solid. Quite a clever workaround that Kobo found there.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's very narrow though and does not bother me at all. I agree, the black bar (default) was smart given that there is probably no getting around a shadow where the LED lights live--and that is all that this is. I didn't think I needed/wanted a whiter screen until I had one .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I'm very pleased with my Glo, I've only had it crash a couple of times, both times when I was playing around with the font/layout settings so it didn't interfere with my reading
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
At the bottom of the screen, there is a shadowing and very faint headlight effect from the LEDs. This is mostly hidden if the light control strip is set to black. I find that strip more obtrusive than the shadowing, so I keep my light control set to clear. The shadows don't really bother me, and I mainly read in the dark with the Glo light on its lowest setting (and that's still a bit bright!) The rest of the screen is a sort of creamy-white, and is evenly lit with no splotches or shadowing above the light control strip.

I haven't found the need to put the light on during the day to read, so no problems with the shadow strip during the day.
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert