Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #61
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco1387 View Post
I installed the patch but when i look in device info, there are strange numbers "2699" instead the gear that is in the sample image of the first post. Is that a problem? I have KT 5.1.
Not really a functional problem, just a minor "display nuisance". Your font doesn't seem to include the Unicode gear character. Did you change the sans serif font?

I had specifically chosen that symbol instead of the text "active", in order to be as language-neutral as possible...

Last edited by ixtab; 05-10-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: serif -> sans serif
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #62
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shamelessly bumping this thread.

Now that a few more people seem to be interested in it, here goes the question again: Did someone come up with new patches, or new ideas for such? There certainly are some more annoyances that can be fixed with this...
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #63
ixtab
(offline)

UPDATE: Please download the updated version.

Here's another HOWTO for writing a patch.

Important Notes:
  • This is intended for KSO devices. I don't know what it will do on non-KSO Kindles. Probably nothing, or at least nothing bad, though.
  • If you're not interested in the howto, but only in the patch itself, scroll down, but read the bold parts.
  • Don't start a discussion about whether this is ethical or not. We've had these discussions before, and they lead nowhere. Nobody forces you to install this, and you won't prevent others from doing so. And there are other well-known methods to achieve the same results.

So let's get our hands dirty. This time, the goal is to remove the banner on the home screen for KSO kindles. This won't affect the screensaver, it will simply clean up the home screen. (Update: actually, depending on when you apply the patch, it may also completely disable ads. This is more of an accident than the original intention . See below for details).

I'm writing this as I go, and I have (at this moment) no idea where we are going to end up. The first step is in trying to find out where to begin. We don't really have a starting point yet (and we can't use simple methods like grepping for some unique strings). How about this:

We enable verbose logging on the Kindle, then tap on the banner. Pretty sure there will be some usable hint. Just did that, and while scrolling through a long list of log messages, there is a usable one:

Code:
120510:210921 cvm[6389]: D GestureDispatcher:DebugInfo::GestureDispatcher MousePressed - Source=com.amazon.kindle.home.view.browse.ImageBanner Button=1 Loc=java.awt.Point[x=335,y=57] ForwardTo=null
Time to start looking around in the Java classes!
The ImageBanner class isn't terribly helpful yet. We look through it, seeing that it extends JComponent, and we see some references to com.amazon.kindle.ad.AdUnit (another interesting class name). So much for now. Let's see where ImageBanner is used:

Code:
~/kindle-touch/java/classes$ grep -r ImageBanner .
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/ImageBanner$1.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/ImageBanner.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/ImageBanner$BoundedImage.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/ImageBanner$ViewAdDetailsAction.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/controller/AdPanel.class.
~/kindle-touch/java/classes$ grep -r AdPanel .
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/controller/e.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/controller/AdPanel.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/controller/q.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/c/h.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/c/i.class.
We immediately see that the only use is from AdPanel, so we directly proceed to grepping for that as well. Decompiling AdPanel, we see that the q and e classes are actually inner classes of AdPanel. But there are two interesting things: AdPanel extends com.amazon.kindle.apps.content.view.ContentTable, and it takes an AdManager as a constructor argument. Off we go to AdManager... and we see that it's an interface. Time for another grep:

Code:
~/kindle-touch/java/classes$ grep -r AdManager .
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/ad/manager/AdDisplayStrategy.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/ad/manager/AdManager.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/booklet/ad/controller/AdDisplayController.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/booklet/ad/action/ViewAdDetailsAction.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/b/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/a/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/searchresults/q.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/archive/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/c/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/BrowseContentCell.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/n.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/BrowseDisplayController$BrowseMenuManager.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/browse/u.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/view/d/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/controller/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/controller/e.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/c/t.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/c/x.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/home/HomeBooklet.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/controller/q.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/manager/e.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/manager/q.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/manager/a.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/manager/i.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/manager/AdManagerImpl.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/todo/j.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/todo/AdPackageToDoHandler.class.
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei ./com/amazon/kindle/restricted/ad/todo/AdResetToDoHandler.class.
Bingo! We see that HomeBooklet references AdManager somehow, so that's our next target. Retrospectively, yes... we could also have started at the HomeBooklet right away.

Now wee see a few things related to ads, like the A() and H() methods, where the booklet registers itself as an AdEventListener, and most notably the method D(AdEvent) implementing that interface. So how about... we make this method do nothing?

Let's try it. The first step is to write a "skeleton patch", which does not include the MD5 sum or any functionality, and to deploy it to the device. This serves to make sure that the patch is considered, and to find out the required MD5 at the same time. This procedure is exactly as in the other HOWTO.

Then we try to (only) replace the AdEventListener interface by removing the entire code therein, except for the return statement:
Code:
		BCMethod m = clazz.getDeclaredMethod("D", new String[] {"com.amazon.kindle.ad.event.AdEvent"});
		Code c = m.getCode(false);
		c.beforeFirst();
		for (int i=0; i < 35; ++i) {
			c.next();
			c.remove();
		}
		c.calculateMaxLocals();
		c.calculateMaxStack();
Copying the patch and restarting the framework shows that the result is: nothing. It still looks as before. So that was obviously the wrong method to try. Remembering something from before, let's go back to that ImageBanner. Remember that it's simply a JComponent. So... how about if we make the ImageBanner "disappear"? We could override the existing getPreferredSize() method to always return (0,0), and the paintComponent() method to do nothing.

The approach is again very similar as above, and the code is checked in, so you can study the source if you want. The result is: yep, the banner is not shown anymore. Mission accomplished? Not really, IMO: something somewhere still seems to think that the banner is shown, and "reserves" the space on the home screen: only 7 items are shown, where there should be 8.

So, one more round, now with the heavy equipment. Let's take a look at AdManager itself (or actually, its implementation, namely com.amazon.kindle.restricted.ad.manager.AdManagerI mpl). I'll let you poke around in it a bit. Even though it's obfuscated, it is relatively straightforward to find that the method m() is a crucial one. It returns a boolean indicating whether the device is ad-activated. Applying the same procedure again, we patch the code to always return false (again, refer to the source code for how it's implemented).

And voilà: After a reboot, the home screen is fully usable, and the ads have disappeared. In fact, while I only wanted to remove them from the home screen, but keep them for the screensaver, there is another effect of this patch: If you activate the patch before you register your Kindle with Amazon (or if you remove /var/local/adunits in whichever way you please, either manually or through a factory reset), no ads will be downloaded anymore.

Note that the above text was essentially a "log" of what I did. The entire procedure took about two hours (including writing this text). I have ended up in some dead end streets (and documented it), and I have written some code which is no longer required. In fact, only the last of the 3 approaches is needed. Code for the other 2 is still kept in the source code, but it's not "active" in the patch. The procedure, as always, involves a bit of intuition. This time we were lucky, because at least most of the class names were still making sense, which helps with the intuition. But even if the framework was fully obfuscated, we would have ended up where we wanted to go, sooner or later.

Anyway, here is the source code, and the binary is attached. Install as usual (i.e.: unzip, copy the .jbpatch file to opt/jbpatch, and insert a line with the file name into CONFIG.TXT).

UPDATE: There is a more recent version !

Last edited by ixtab; 07-25-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #64
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Not really a functional problem, just a minor "display nuisance". Your font doesn't seem to include the Unicode gear character. Did you change the sans serif font?

I had specifically chosen that symbol instead of the text "active", in order to be as language-neutral as possible...
Interestingly enough, I'm now experiencing the same. WTF is this all about?

UPDATE:

I just released version 1.1.1. It fixes this issue by introducing a different format for the device info screen, and it also fixes a minor bug. Upgrade recommended.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #65
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Idea for a patch:
Routine for reinstalling the dev.cert for the font hack after logging in/out from an account to another. This requests to update the dertificate. Put it in the font-hack post as well.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #66
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Idea for a patch:
Routine for reinstalling the dev.cert for the font hack after logging in/out from an account to another. This requests to update the dertificate. Put it in the font-hack post as well.
Excellent idea. I had also thought about these annoying certs -- I even thought about disabling them completely, but that felt a bit too unsafe to me, and would actually be quite a hassle to implement. But your idea is great, I'll see how this can be done. Don't hold your breath though, I'm planning to introduce a few major new features to the framework itself (which will directly benefit this upcoming patch).
Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #67
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Shamelessly bumping this thread.

Now that a few more people seem to be interested in it, here goes the question again: Did someone come up with new patches, or new ideas for such? There certainly are some more annoyances that can be fixed with this...
I'm going to try and use this to interject a password request for certain collections. I discuss this in another post in more detail, but now I think I can do it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173840

Do you have any hints on where the event handler is for a collection being opened?
I browsed the classes a bit, but my Java experience is sorely lacking. Any hints would be appreciated!

--- edit ---
Found a promising class in /booklet/home.jar, called CollectionDisplayController
Unfortunately my java experience is too limited. Ixtab, would you be interested in helping out with this tweak? I've asked around, demand for a clean solution for password protecting collections definitely exists.

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 05-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #68
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.2.0 released

I just released version 1.2.0.

This version includes a lot of new functionality, but (as is usual for frameworks) much of the development concerns features "under the hood".

Nevertheless, here are some highlights of the new version:
  • Support advanced patches which require more than one class
  • Built-in support for customizable parameterization and localization
  • TTS Patch revamped: you can now customize TTS display options on all officially available Kindle languages.

If you have a previous installation of jbpatch, I suggest to replace the entire opt/jbpatch directory with the one provided in the download, because the new CONFIG.TXT obsoletes a few older patches, and includes up-to-date documentation. If you did install the "no-ads" patch, you can simply re-add it. Of course all the older patches are still working fine with this version.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-12-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #69
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
I'm going to try and use this to interject a password request for certain collections.

[...]

Found a promising class in /booklet/home.jar, called CollectionDisplayController
Unfortunately my java experience is too limited. Ixtab, would you be interested in helping out with this tweak? I've asked around, demand for a clean solution for password protecting collections definitely exists.
This is certainly the right class to look at (or at least, to start looking at). However, I think there is a more fundamental issue: books (or content, or items, whatever you want to call it) are independent from collections. In other words, an item can be part of 0 or more collections. It can be reached through the home screen directly, or indirectly through any of the containing collections...

I don't know what you're really looking for, but if you want to control access to specific items (contained in a collection or not), you'd probably want this "access control" on the item itself, not on the collection. Or did I get something wrong?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #70
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Happy to have now only "Englisch" und "Deutsch" in my TTS options. Worked like charme, thx!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #71
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Happy to have now only "Englisch" und "Deutsch" in my TTS options. Worked like charme, thx!
Thanks for the positive feedback! BTW, it's "charm", not "charme" ;-)

... and I'll look into the developer certificates thing soon.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #72
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Thanks for the positive feedback! BTW, it's "charm", not "charme" ;-)
Actually, "charme" was a Middle-English (commonly used in 14th century literature) word meaning "magic spell", so in this case you could say it worked like a "magic spell". In modern English, charm is usually used as a synonym for grace.

So depending on whether the intended meaning was that it worked "gracefully", or that it worked "like magic", the word "charme" may actually be more technically correct in this case (although perhaps by accident).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #73
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Idea for a patch:
Ok, here you go. This functionality is included in version 1.3.0.

This one was quite a challenge to get right (source code, if you're interested), and actually required a few changes in the framework itself (hence the new version).

Update: I just found out how to install them without requiring a restart. Since 1.3.0 had only been downloaded 2 times, I simply repackaged it with the fixed certificates patch as version 1.3.1.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #74
diba
Addict

Great! First I expected having a launcher menu item to choose, was even starting to write, but then just unregistered and started FontHack after the usual message "No test kindle" or something like that and it installed the devcert.
After registering again to my account, I got a weird message about "die Anwendung wurde nicht richtig beendet, Neustart in 5 Sekunden" and it took quite a long time to reboot, 3 or 4 screenflashes, thought I got it bricked.
But everything is working excellent, as expected btw ... ;-)
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #75
ixtab
(offline)

Just FYI, I'm currently working on the next feature: password protection.

It is still in a very early stage, far from being usable, but here's a screenshot from the development version, giving an idea of what it might look like in the end.

(UPDATE: screenshot removed. See below for the released version.)

If you are interested in this... I don't know. Since there's (fortunately) no "Like" or "+1" button here, you could just click on the Karma button instead. Even better, you could reply to this post. I'm just interested in some feedback about whether this is just wasted time, or if it's indeed something that could be useful to a wider audience.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-20-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks