Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
iPocketBook
iPocketBook doesn't litteriPocketBook doesn't litter

Device: pb 302, KT
Kindle Touch with stylus?

Hi all,

I expected to be able to use the Touch with any kind of object as a stylus. As it turns out, it is insensitive to objects smaller than a finger (diameter-wise).

Does anyone have an idea if this is a setting that can be tweaked somehow?

I really want to take handwritten notes etc. on the Kindle. I know, the software is not up to this task yet, but that is a different story...

cheers
iPocketBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The touch uses an IR touchscreen.

The touchscreen reports how much light is blocked from each of multiple LED/photocell pairs, and can interpolate small positions between them depending on how much light is blocked by two or more adjacent cell pairs.

I found that it works okay with the fat end of round chinese chopsticks if held perpendicular to the screen.

Using a stylus smaller than a chopstick may not case a shadow on a photocell at some positions on the screen, and in that case would be invisible to the touchscreen sensors.

The eraser end of a pencil also works.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
iPocketBook
iPocketBook doesn't litteriPocketBook doesn't litter

Device: pb 302, KT
it is quite precise though, as can be seen in the built in drawing app.
Do you really think it is a problem of the resolution of the infrared-sensors?
I suspect it is an explicit threshold that discards objects smaller than a certain diameter.
Holding a huge pen perpendicular to the screen while drawing is a bit cumbersome...
iPocketBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPocketBook View Post
Hi all,

I expected to be able to use the Touch with any kind of object as a stylus. As it turns out, it is insensitive to objects smaller than a finger (diameter-wise).

Does anyone have an idea if this is a setting that can be tweaked somehow?

I really want to take handwritten notes etc. on the Kindle. I know, the software is not up to this task yet, but that is a different story...

cheers
I personally used a very small paintbrush, because I constantly have cream on my hand and it worked great.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Your finger is wide enough to cover multiple IR sensors. The driver measures the amount of light blocked at each location, and can interpolate based on what proportion of the outer two sensors are covered. It can read the center position accurately, but a stylus that is too thin may not cast a shadow in some postions, as I mentioned above. If you look at "teardown" photos of the Touch, you will see that there are really not many LEDs and photodiodes, but still it achieves excellent resolution for a "stylus" as wide as a finger.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
handwriting, kindle touch, stylus