Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
pspringett
pspringett began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Kindle with unmovable pointer in centre

I'm struggling to describe this, but I have a kindle 3 (bought at christmas). In the middle of the screen there is a very small image of a pin (like the pins you use to pin papers on a noticeboard). It's present all the time (i.e. on every page).

I'm stumped as to what this is and how to get rid of it. I assumed it was some kind of marker or pointer or cursor. But I can't see anything that could help me get rid of it.

Has anybody else seen this? Can anybody point me something that describes what it is and therefore how I can remove it? I'm almost too embarrased to ask about it!
pspringett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It sounds like a screen crack, a tiny one. Don't be embarrassed at all. Could you post a picture?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
If pspringett is sure it's an image, that's strange. My first thought would be that an image should be expandable as any other image but may not be the case with a system image. If it is an image, I would really like to know what it is. Maybe something a debugging lef? (You can see that I'd like it to be anything, just not the crack )
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
it sounds like it may be an exploded ink capsule that just happens to look like a pin.
maybe? need screenshots.. see if it shows up.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Had the same thing on Thursday. Called Amazon CS the same night, the rep told me "No biggie, I'll send you a new one."

Best. Company. EVAR!
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
pspringett

Here's the pictures of it (same pictures attached, small size). So definately not a screen crack.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010219.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	68996   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010219-1.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	68997  
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
It does look like a thumbtack.

Have you done a SCREEN CAPTURE? Press Shift-Alt-G all at the same time. A picture of the screen will be taken and it will be found in the documents folder. If that "thumbtack" shows there it is not a blemish.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
pspringett

It doesn't show up on the screen capture. But that just makes me think that it is a kindle icon (for some purpose), that is drawn independantly of the rest of the display. It's too much like something used for clipping a note to make me think it a physical problem with the screen.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Zooming in as much as possible on your image, it's not solid black and it doesn't have defined edges like icons do. IMO it's screen damage.

One last test - turn it off (hold power switch for 7 seconds) to give a blank screen. If it still shows, then contact Amazon CS.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
yep. It looks like it is a burst e-ink capsule. I had the same issue with a kindle I returned. Get on the horn with amazon!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Looks like a thumb tack alright but when I zoom in using an iPad it does look like the ink has popped. hopefully by now you have called amazon and got yourself a new one!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
yerxa
yerxa began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have to agree with the others. It does look a lot like a thumb tack, but I'm pretty sure its screen damage. Call Amazon and they will send you a new Kindle.
yerxa is offline   Reply With Quote