Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Thinking of buying a used 505

With all the speculation going on about Sony's new readers that may be replacing the existing models I was thinking of buying a 2nd 505 just in case they become discontinued or something. I really love my 505 and from what I have read on this forum the new readers may not be something I want to change to if my 505 dies. Anyway in my town a local pawn shop has a prs 505 for a very good price. I am tempted to buy it as a back up but because it is used how would I be able to get it to work on my computer and with my books? I assume any books that are already on it will no longer function as soon as Iplug it into my computer and try to somehow register it is that correct????
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Have a look at this Thread

Post #5 may be of some help
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
thank you I will check it out
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The Sony PRS-505 that I bought was second-hand and after asking a bunch of questions, I finally got it to register with the Sony store. "I assume any books that are already on it will no longer function as soon as Iplug it into my computer and try to somehow register it is that correct?" I wasn't sure about this point, and there was one book on it that I wanted to read, so I waited until I had finished reading it before registering. Now, I did copy the original contents off to my PC, and I'm thinking I might try putting one of those books back onto the Sony reader to see if it still works. I'm not sure if registration changes something within the reader which is tied to the particular DRMed book or not. There's very little information out there on the LRX DRM mechanism.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I bought a second hand 505 in the UK. I've never had any problems, and have connected to the sony store for the free downloads. I could read the books already on there (think some of them might still be there ...) and have never had any problems, but to be honest I don't know what the original owner did with it, how much it was used (very little, as far as I could tell, it's still in its warranty period) or whether she ever registered it at all. The books could all have been PD.

I've also never had any problems registering it with ADE, which I use more than the sony software.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert