Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
BWinmill
Nameless Being

More text on screen ...

For those who want to cram more text on screen, here's a suggestion:

Procedure: Force a factory reset. This brings you back to firmware 2.4.2. Plug into your computer and register via sqlite3. Never let it connect to the network or Kobo's desktop software.

Benefits: Since it does not account for the higher DPI screen, the bottom bar is roughly half the size. The title bar is disabled for ePubs, and the margin appears to be smaller than in 2.6.1. Another benefit is the PDF reader appears to refresh the screen properly, even when the reader is set to refresh every 6 pages.

Issues: there are a number of bugs in this release. As far as I can tell, they don't affect reading ePubs or PDFs to a great degree. However, none of the games work. The font list shows some sort of XML markup rather than the font name (but you can change fonts). User interface elements are smaller. As such they can be harder to press.

Summary: it seems to be okay if you want to have more text on the screen and are willing to put up with a few quirks. However, it was never intended to be used by the end-user and it definitely shows.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
For those who want to cram more text on screen, here's a suggestion:

Procedure: Force a factory reset. This brings you back to firmware 2.4.2. Plug into your computer and register via sqlite3. Never let it connect to the network or Kobo's desktop software.

Benefits: Since it does not account for the higher DPI screen, the bottom bar is roughly half the size. The title bar is disabled for ePubs, and the margin appears to be smaller than in 2.6.1. Another benefit is the PDF reader appears to refresh the screen properly, even when the reader is set to refresh every 6 pages.

Issues: there are a number of bugs in this release. As far as I can tell, they don't affect reading ePubs or PDFs to a great degree. However, none of the games work. The font list shows some sort of XML markup rather than the font name (but you can change fonts). User interface elements are smaller. As such they can be harder to press.

Summary: it seems to be okay if you want to have more text on the screen and are willing to put up with a few quirks. However, it was never intended to be used by the end-user and it definitely shows.
This is on the Aura I take it?

How very intrepid of you

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
This is on the Aura I take it?

How very intrepid of you
Yes, the Aura.

Intrepid, not so much. I have a tendency to play around with technology, rather than simply using it. That includes exploring the original firmware that we weren't supposed to see. I thought that this particular "feature" of the original firmware may interest some people, so I posted it. So curious, maybe. Intrepid though sounds far too grandiose!

As I mentioned, the original firmware has a lot of pitfalls. I'm bumping it back up to 2.6.1 as soon as I can. But for people who insist upon more words per screen, this information may be useful.

(Admittedly, it is nice to have the screen filled with a book and less space devoted to the interface. On the other hand, it is better to have a functional interface. That includes widgets that are large enough to tap on reliably.)
Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Know what you mean about playing around. I have been trying to get my Aura to actually sort by recently read with a tiny bit of success and now my library tile, which seemed to be firmly placed next to the currently open book tile is moving around the home screen, not that I care about that, but ghosts in the machine or what

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

(Admittedly, it is nice to have the screen filled with a book and less space devoted to the interface. On the other hand, it is better to have a functional interface. That includes widgets that are large enough to tap on reliably.)
And it is better yet not to have to sacrifice one for the other.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And it is better yet not to have to sacrifice one for the other.

Sigh. I was just putting this out as an option for people who feel compelled to have more text on the screen, not to reopen the debate.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Sigh. I was just putting this out as an option for people who feel compelled to have more text on the screen, not to reopen the debate.
My apologies. When you said "... it is better ..." I thought you were reopening the debate. Why not say something like "there is a trade off ..."?

Or am I over-analyzing?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
So how many more lines do you get on the screen at "same" text size?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
So how many more lines do you get on the screen at "same" text size?
When I played with the factory firmware on an Aura, it gave me 1 more line of text compared to 2.5.1 but then I use a fairly large font size.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote