Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #121
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Which reminds me, we need some way to identify the different 5.1.0 firmware versions -- any ideas?
If they change the kernel also, then uname might give something useful;
try: uname -a
to get the entire set of strings on one line.

Do they change the firmware version build number?
Should be in:
cat /etc/issue
or
cat /etc/issue.net
or
some such similar place.

(I still do not have my K3 re-assembled and working, so I can't try myself.)

Edit:
@GM - why not start a new thread on the firmware ID subject and ask a mod to move this stuff that is dirting up Ixtab's thread?

Last edited by knc1; 05-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #122
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Could the noads hack somehow prevent screensaver powerdown mode from operating in certain conditions? The last thing I had run was the demo in the tcc package, and it pauses and resumes the framework. I tend to suspect the firmware, but it is worth considering other possible causes in any case.
Nope, definitely not the fault of any of the patches. They generally only minimally change the behavior here and there, by returning an unconditional "true" or "false" instead of performing some calculations, etc.

BTW, I fixed the noads patch. I gave up trying to be smart by intercepting screensaver module settings (which is horribly unstable... not because of my code, but the underlying native executable just seems to crash at times, for no particular reason), and went for the simple solution instead: just remove /var/local/adunits
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #123
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Margins patch

Here's another patch, inspired by popular demand.

This patch allows to change the margins around the book content. For the simplest use case, you can now influence what the Kindle understands as "fewest/fewer/default" words per line. You can also hide the progress bar, if you are so inclined. Finally, this patch also affects the PDF display, so in principle, PDFs can be made to display on the full screen.

I attached a few "before/after" screenshots (see below). The result is largely depending on your individual settings, though.

INSTALLATION: copy the attached file "ixtab_margins-5.1.0.zip" directly to your Kindle's opt/jbpatch folder (do NOT unzip the file!), and add the corresponding entry to CONFIG.TXT.

CONFIGURATION:
With the default configuration, this patch does not change anything at all. To change the behavior, you have to modify the file "ixtab-patch-margins.txt" inside the zipped file. After editing, make sure that you re-zip the patch correctly, then restart your Kindle.

SCREENSHOTS

Before:
Click image for larger version

Name:	standard-doc.gif
Views:	2008
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	86922 Click image for larger version

Name:	standard-pdf-a4.gif
Views:	1400
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	86923 Click image for larger version

Name:	standard-pdf-letter.gif
Views:	1291
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	86924

After:
Click image for larger version

Name:	patched-doc.gif
Views:	2043
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	86925 Click image for larger version

Name:	patched-pdf-a4.gif
Views:	1511
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	86926 Click image for larger version

Name:	patched-pdf-letter.gif
Views:	1210
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	86927

The PDF files are mostly for verification: The central box should always be square, and the borders are a visual indicator of the actual document dimensions.

Update: I attached the actual pdfs, and the code to produce them - maybe they are useful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample-pdfs.zip (8.5 KB, 1276 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 07-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #124
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Hey, you keep me busy with testing ;-)

THX for another patch !
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #125
alaiksander
Enthusiast
alaiksander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.0
I tried the margin hack. But dont quite understand this line
Quote:
font.wordsperline.margin.list=120 80 40
Plus I still have the right&left margin default on azw/mobi files. The pdf(s) are good with the hack.

PS: In the future, would you update the first thread with every hack available in this thread? thus will be easier for many to try the hacks.

Thx

Last edited by alaiksander; 05-27-2012 at 10:41 AM.
alaiksander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #126
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaiksander View Post
I tried the margin hack. But dont quite understand this line

Code:
font.wordsperline.margin.list=120 80 40
Plus I still have the right&left margin default on azw/mobi files. The pdf(s) are good with the hack.
"fewest" words per line=120px margins
"fewer"=80, "default"=40. These are the default settings, adjust them whichever way you want.

And read the comment in the file again. The margins are cached by the Kindle, so if you change the setting, you will not see the effect until you switch to another "mode", then back to the one you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaiksander View Post
PS: In the future, would you update the first thread with every hack available in this thread? thus will be easier for many to try the hacks.

Thx
I'm already doing this, and yes, I will keep doing so.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #127
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not asking for it personally, but displaying directories in /mnt/us/documents on Home screen as distinct items and showing directory content on tap (i.e. filtering items by locating in selected subdirectory of /mnt/us/documents) and so on recursively will certainly bring satisfaction to some part of KT users which prefer hierarchical structuring to "tagging" by using native collections.

Sorry for bothering anyway.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #128
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here comes the revamped no-ads patch... essentially an overhauled version of this one.

This new version also removes the screen saver ads without requiring user intervention.

INSTALLATION: Unzip the attached file, copy ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch to opt/jbpatch on the Kindle. Make sure that opt/jbpatch/CONFIG.TXT contains a line to activate "ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch". Finally, restart the Kindle.

Upgrading: If you are already using the old version, just overwrite the jbpatch file, and restart.
Is this new ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0 patch work with jbpatch_1.2.0 or needs it latest jbpatch_1.3.1?

Thanks for your (and others) work
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #129
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Updating these patches is always recommended. ixtab is doing things "under the hood" which always have been improvements!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #130
diba
Addict

Maybee a dumb question, but what are these sample-pdf good for ??
Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #131
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
Is this new ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0 patch work with jbpatch_1.2.0 or needs it latest jbpatch_1.3.1?

Thanks for your (and others) work
It needs 1.3.1 because it now requires additional permissions (deleting files), which have been introduced in v1.3.0.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #132
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Maybee a dumb question, but what are these sample-pdf good for ??
Quoting myself: "The PDF files are mostly for verification: The central box should always be square, and the borders are a visual indicator of the actual document dimensions."
Old 05-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #133
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I'm not asking for it personally, but displaying directories in /mnt/us/documents on Home screen as distinct items and showing directory content on tap (i.e. filtering items by locating in selected subdirectory of /mnt/us/documents) and so on recursively will certainly bring satisfaction to some part of KT users which prefer hierarchical structuring to "tagging" by using native collections.

Sorry for bothering anyway.
Now that is one SERIOUS request

It would certainly be possible "somehow" (tm), but actually it would require to rip out the home screen logic, and completely replace it. That's WAY over my head, sorry.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #134
diba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Quoting myself: "The PDF files are mostly for verification: The central box should always be square, and the borders are a visual indicator of the actual document dimensions."
Even if I out myself as the most stupid guy in this forum, but I still do not understand.
I HAVE READ you txt file and the postings, but still. no clue. Are they something like an overlay?
Pls help me out of my misery.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #135
ixtab
(offline)

They are simply examples which I used for testing. For instance, when setting all margins to 0, with a "real" PDF, it is hard to determine whether the display is really "full screen", because you don't know how much white margin is INSIDE the document. This is why the samples have a black border: you can immediately check if the black border really reaches the left/right edges of the device. Finally, I produced multiple versions (A4 and letter), to see how it behaves with different page formats. And even more finally, the square in the center was used to verify that the aspect ratio is correctly kept.

In other words: they are not needed, and they are not magic in any way. They simply allow to visually verify the actual margins that are applied AROUND the document.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks