Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #406
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtgemini26 View Post
Do you have any experience with Calibri?
Yes to the tune of over 2000 books in my current Calibri library =)

Its a fantastic product, however, when tring to convert PDF to another format you need to do a lot of preprocessing first.

Thats just the nature of PDFs, need to form up split paragraphs, remember page numbers etc etc etc

I LOVE Calibri tho, I use it to convert everything over to ePub for my reader. I also use it to coughstripdrmcough using 3rd party plugin so that I can have backups incase of publishers whims ...
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #407
hrundi
hrundi began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
I downloaded BookCreator yesterday, still getting the hang of it. I used it to format a book from a txt file and figured out how to use this:
Italic converter, converts txt with underscore _My Text_ to italics

But can it do something about indentation?

Some parts are between these brackets <My Text> and those are supposed to be quotations.
hrundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #408
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrundi View Post
I downloaded BookCreator yesterday, still getting the hang of it. I used it to format a book from a txt file and figured out how to use this:
Italic converter, converts txt with underscore _My Text_ to italics

But can it do something about indentation?

Some parts are between these brackets <My Text> and those are supposed to be quotations.
Are you asking to indent or remove indents?

To add indents that is done on a style just modify an existing style or use your own.

To remove indents there is a macro called remove white space. That will remove indents.

Can you post an example of the broken text here. This way I can take a look at it. It looks the like there is something in the "_" that is causing the macro to fail.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #409
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachDvn View Post
Ok, feeling pretty stupid... It dawned on me today that I hadn't checked my Toolbars list. SO I did, and sure enough, BookCreator is listed, but not selected. Now I see my buttons and have played. Hooray!
Wow, I am a professional programmer who uses Word only as much as I have to. Still it took me half an hour and this hint to finally locate your toolbar under the "Add-Ins" menu selector. Ouch. Not your fault, just the way latest Word makes it "easier" to access commands!?!?!

Anyway you may want a quick note in the instructions where toolbar may be located in the latest WinXP/Word version.

Looking forward to using it, thanks a bunch
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #410
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL, it's MS Word fault really!

Part of the problem is the tool was written for word 2003. In that version a new toolbar is created and easy to see.
Word 2007 and up moved to what they call a ribbon and no longer uses tool bars.
For backwards compatibility they stuffed all macro and addins in the addins ribbon.
I'm working on a port to 2007 and it uses the ribbons technology so it will be more initiative. I'm just having problems with some features so I haven't released it yet.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #411
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm working on a port to 2007 and it uses the ribbons technology so it will be more initiative. I'm just having problems with some features so I haven't released it yet.
Im really looking forward to this update / new version !

I use bookcreator a TON and think its one of the best things ive found on the net for editing etc.

I hope things go smoothly and you can get the new version out sometime soon.

Thank you again for all your hard work.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #412
Gauthier
Enthusiast
Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
Using Word 2010 64bit Edition
May I suggest the following changes:

In vbaKernelStuff

Code:
#If VBA7 Then
Private Declare PtrSafe Function WaitForSingleObject Lib "kernel32" ( _
    ByVal hHandle As LongPtr, _
    ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long) As Long

Private Declare PtrSafe Function OpenProcess Lib "kernel32.dll" ( _
    ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long, _
    ByVal bInheritHandle As LongPtr, _
    ByVal dwProcessId As LongPtr) As LongPtr

Private Declare PtrSafe Function CloseHandle Lib "kernel32" ( _
    ByVal hObject As LongPtr) As Long
#Else
Private Declare Function WaitForSingleObject Lib "kernel32" ( _
    ByVal hHandle As Long, _
    ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function OpenProcess Lib "kernel32.dll" ( _
    ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long, _
    ByVal bInheritHandle As Long, _
    ByVal dwProcessId As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function CloseHandle Lib "kernel32" ( _
    ByVal hObject As Long) As Long
#End If
Code:
#If VBA7 Then
Dim TaskID As LongPtr
Dim ProcHandle As LongPtr
#Else
Dim TaskID As Long
Dim ProcHandle As Long
#End If
Without the above, it won't compile.

In datBookCreatorProperties, Sub INITIALIZE()

Code:
#If Win64 Then
        setCalibrePath "C:\Program Files (x86)\calibre"
#Else
        setCalibrePath "C:\Program Files\calibre"
#End If
That correction will only correct the path for 64bit word
Not sure how to correct it for 32bit word on Win64.

In eBookCreatorCalibre Sub html2any

Adding a bit of diagnostic on the calibre path, otherwise, it fails silently

Code:
' Prepare to create the eBook
    szHTML2ANY = Replace(szPathCalibre, """", "") + "\ebook-convert.exe"
    If Not IsFileExists(szHTML2ANY) Then
        MsgBox "Calibre Path Incorrect"
        Exit Sub
    End If
    szHTML2ANY = """" + szHTML2ANY + """"
    AnyToHMTLToTarget szHTML2ANY, szFilepath, szFilename, szParam, True, eEBookFormat
Remark, I only corrected the NOIMP version, there may be more.
Also the BrowserFileSystem need a bit of improvement.
Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #413
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Im really looking forward to this update / new version !

I use bookcreator a TON and think its one of the best things ive found on the net for editing etc.

I hope things go smoothly and you can get the new version out sometime soon.

Thank you again for all your hard work.
Thanks for the kind words. I've completed two of the three road blocks I was having with the port. Over the weekend I decided the last issue was not really a show stopper and planned on releasing the code Monday/Tues. So aside from the 2007 port most of the changes are internal. Some bug fixes and enhancements but no real new features.

The last poster provided some nice feedback that I think I will included for the 2007/2003 code so the update will come out say Wed/Fri of this week.

=X=
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #414
=X=
Wizard

Hi Gauthier
Great tips I'll include the win64 changes in the word 2003/2007 port. I'll post them here shortly see if the changes work for both win32/win64 for both word2003/2007.

Some of my comments below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauthier View Post
Using Word 2010 64bit Edition
May I suggest the following changes:

In vbaKernelStuff

Code:
#If VBA7 Then .....
#End If

#If VBA7 Then
Dim TaskID As LongPtr
Dim ProcHandle As LongPtr
#Else
Dim TaskID As Long
Dim ProcHandle As Long
#End If
I'll update the code with the suggested changes.

Quote:
In datBookCreatorProperties, Sub INITIALIZE()

Code:
#If Win64 Then
        setCalibrePath "C:\Program Files (x86)\calibre"
#Else
        setCalibrePath "C:\Program Files\calibre"
#End If
The real fix here is to use the window enviromental variable. I hard coded the path cause I was lazy.
I'll update the code to say
Code:
 setCalibrePath Environ("AppData") + "\calibre"
See if this works for you as well.

Quote:
In eBookCreatorCalibre Sub html2any

Adding a bit of diagnostic on the calibre path, otherwise, it fails silently

Code:
' Prepare to create the eBook
    szHTML2ANY = Replace(szPathCalibre, """", "") + "\ebook-convert.exe"
    If Not IsFileExists(szHTML2ANY) Then
        MsgBox "Calibre Path Incorrect"
        Exit Sub
    End If
    szHTML2ANY = """" + szHTML2ANY + """"
    AnyToHMTLToTarget szHTML2ANY, szFilepath, szFilename, szParam, True, eEBookFormat
Great suggestion, will update the code.

Quote:
Remark, I only corrected the NOIMP version, there may be more.
No worries. I've dropped IMP support, I created a poll some time ago asking if folks still used the IMP feature. Zero people responded so I took that as a "No body uses BC for IMP".

Going forward there will be a 2003/2007 version only.

Quote:
Also the BrowserFileSystem need a bit of improvement.
=X=
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #415
Gauthier
Enthusiast
Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Gauthier knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Another possible improvement:
In the custom menu you have "Import File" linked to your macro, you could instead link it directly to the word text Import command.
The macro version is limited to selecting One File (multiple selection explode) while the word command would accept multiple file selection.

Regarding Word < 2003 conditional compile compatibility, you may receive compile error but only in the VBA editor, according to M$ you can safely ignore them, the macro should run, need to test of course...
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #416
Gauthier
Enthusiast

Environ("AppData") would not gives the good value
need
Code:
If getCalibrePath() = "" Then
    Path = Environ("ProgramFiles(x86)")
    If Path = "" Then
        Path = Environ("ProgramFiles")
    End If
    setCalibrePath Path + "\Calibre"
End If

Last edited by Gauthier; 01-24-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #417
Gauthier
Enthusiast

The calibre path saved by setCalibrePath
is machine dependent and not really a document Property thus use:
and of course also do the verification there
Code:
Sub setCalibrePath(szPath As String)
    SaveSetting "BookCreator", "Calibre", "CalibrePath", szPath
    If Not IsFileExists(Replace(szPath , """", "") + "\ebook-convert.exe") Then
        MsgBox "Calibre ebook-converter Not Found there"
    End If
End Sub

Function getCalibrePath() As String
    getCalibrePath = GetSetting("BookCreator", "Calibre", "CalibrePath")
End Function
That will save to the registry.

Last edited by Gauthier; 01-24-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added path verfication on save
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #418
Gauthier
Enthusiast

Browsing for Calibre, current version always goes to the parent.
don't know why really...

Correction, pick the dir of the executable using a file picker instead:
in frmCalibreAllFormat Add:

Code:
Private Function BrowserCalibre()
    On Error GoTo Err_Clr

Dim bDisplayVal As Boolean
    Dim szDocName As String
    Dim szPath As String
    Dim defpath As String

bDisplayVal = False

With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
        .AllowMultiSelect = False
        .Title = "Please select The Calibre Executable"
        .Filters.Clear
        .Filters.Add "Applications", "*.EXE"

bDisplayVal = .Show
        szPath = CurDir
    End With

If bDisplayVal = -1 Then
        BrowserCalibre = szPath
    End If

Exit Function

Err_Clr:
    If Err <> 0 Then
    Err.Clear
    Resume Next
    End If

End Function
and change
Code:
Private Sub cmdPathtoCalibre_Click()
    txtCalibrePath.Text = BrowserCalibre
End Sub

Last edited by Gauthier; 01-24-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #419
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
The calibre path saved by setCalibrePath
is machine dependent and not really a document Property thus use:
and of course also do the verification there

That will save to the registry.
Good ideal I like the idea of saving this data on the registry.

Quote:
Browsing for Calibre, current version always goes to the parent.
don't know why really...
Are you saying reading from the registry does not work as you expected?
Also I've found in the registry calibre does list the install path. I wonder how reliable that entry in the registry is.
It's under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\calibre\Installer\Ins tallPath"

Quote:
Correction, pick the dir of the executable using a file picker instead:
in frmCalibreAllFormat Add:

and change.
I do select the path form the file picker it's burried in the "calibre" tab in the "Create eBook" dialog box.

Are you suggesting something different?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #420
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
location of calibre "ebook-convert.exe"

Don't know if that path to calibre is really necessary or not for BC to function properly, but couldn't "ebook-convert.exe" just be called without a path and then the OS will find it using the "path" env variable. The calibre path was already set upon calibre's installation to point to the correct directory.

Does Word really need the absolute path address to "ebook-convert.exe"?

In my GuteBook software, I just call "ebook-convert.exe" and the OS locates it for me using the path env variable.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote