Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. IF you have a Kindle registered to your account... but there's no reason to even do that if you have a Kindle.

If all you have is Kindle for PC, then yes... non-linux software is needed. But if you own a Kindle, you can download the file to your PC FOR your Kindle (from your Amazon account webpage), or simply copy the file FROM your Kindle.
You can also use Kindle Cloud Reader to read your books on a linux box.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
At least Amazon has some books that ARE DRM free and gives publishers that option. Sony, Kobon and BN do not. As for using other stores as a showroom this already happens. How is it wrong for Amazon to offer its users a discount for doing so using their app instead of the competition's apps? Also, note well that the discount does NOT apply to books.

Don't know about Sony and B&N, but Kobo does allow non-DRMed books, and show explicitely the DRM Status :

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Gobli...KHg/page1.html
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
At least Amazon has some books that ARE DRM free and gives publishers that option. Sony, Kobon and BN do not. As for using other stores as a showroom this already happens. How is it wrong for Amazon to offer its users a discount for doing so using their app instead of the competition's apps? Also, note well that the discount does NOT apply to books.
BN does allow publishers to do DRM free books. The only two books I've bought from them were DRM free. It's a pain because you have to verify with the publisher if the book is DRM free or not. BN does not say anywhere.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #19
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
At least Amazon has some books that ARE DRM free and gives publishers that option. Sony, Kobon and BN do not.
Yeah, but at least my reader *can* read drm-ed epub, while reading mobi is impossible. And don't "calibre" me, calibre does a really poor job with ePub code, so some time with sigil would be needed to get something decent.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah, but at least my reader *can* read drm-ed epub, while reading mobi is impossible. And don't "calibre" me, calibre does a really poor job with ePub code, so some time with sigil would be needed to get something decent.
Does it? I've converted dozens - probably hundreds - of ePub books to Mobi, with very satisfactory results.

What problems have you encountered?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it? I've converted dozens - probably hundreds - of ePub books to Mobi, with very satisfactory results.

ePub code the just a mess. I still have some books from the batch converting to fix. Most if time, i wonder why the code is such a mess before I see it's calibre converted. It might *look* good, but it's just a look. (And even without speaking of the code, I'm picky with the quality of ebooks)
There a few cases of "garbage in, garbage out", but some other times..

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Given the ridiculous ease of removing DRM from Kindle books I have to ask - who the hell cares whether or not the books come with DRM?
Well, I suppose the problem might be that what you describe may be illegal (breaking digital locks) in the poster's country of residence. I personally am not bothered by it, but I can see someone not feeling great about doing it either.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
But Amazon don't "force" anyone to use DRM. It's the publishers' choice whether or not to use it. Anyone can sell their book DRM-free on Amazon if they wish to do so.
This exactly.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
calibre does a really poor job with ePub code
I have not found this to be true.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Given the ridiculous ease of removing DRM from Kindle books I have to ask - who the hell cares whether or not the books come with DRM?
The OP seems to be from France, where the government have gone way over the top on punishing families for unauthorised downloads, so removing DRM is probably also a serious crime there.

But I wouldn't count on it always being easy to do anyway.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #26
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:

It's not so good going the other way, you sometimes get random text size changes in the converted epub. Easy enough to fix, you just change the .css file, but it does happen.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
It's not so good going the other way, you sometimes get random text size changes in the converted epub. Easy enough to fix, you just change the .css file, but it does happen.
Of course that happens going from mobi to epub. Mobi doesn't use CSS so there's bound to be some subtle differences when calibre basically has to invent a stylesheet from Mobi's html 3.2 source.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I have not found this to be true.
You probably never looked at the code, or know much in html and css. Most of time, i spot calibre conversion because of the weirdo code before i see trace of "calibre" in the css or opf file.

Quote:
Of course that happens going from mobi to epub. Mobi doesn't use CSS so there's bound to be some subtle differences when calibre basically has to invent a stylesheet from Mobi's html 3.2 source.
Yes, converting's not easy, that's for sure.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The only time non-linux software is required (with amazon books), is if you don't have a Kindle. If you have a Kindle... removal works easily/perfectly with native-only linux software.
Actually, I don't think this is 100% correct any longer. I think the new K4 serial numbers won't work with the DRM removal software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Don't know about Sony and B&N, but Kobo does allow non-DRMed books, and show explicitely the DRM Status :

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Gobli...KHg/page1.html
Amazon does not require DRM. It is there if publishers want to use it and most do.

BN, Sony, and Kobo all sell books with DRM. This is just another silly Anti-Amazon rant that means little to nothing. Amazon is following the same practice as every other e-book store out there.

(yawn)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, drm