Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
6" ain't big enough.

I don't know how everybody settled on 6", but it's pathetically small. Not even the size of a mmpb, and a book opens up to two pages, so it's not even half the printable size of one book page turn.

DX or tablet size is too big for portability.

With a touch screen UI that everyone is moving to, we should be able to get something the size of a mmbp with the same "printable" screen area, around 7 to 7.5".
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like a Sony Reader PRS-950 would be your ideal size.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty
and a book opens up to two pages, so it's not even half the printable size of one book page turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty
With a touch screen UI that everyone is moving to, we should be able to get something the size of a mmbp with the same "printable" screen area, around 7 to 7.5"

So if 6" isn't even half of the printable area of one mmpb page turn... how does increasing the screen size 1-1.5 inches suddenly make it the same "printable" area of a mmpb?

I get what you're saying, but that 1.5 inch increase will still leave you woefully short of the viewable area on two mmpb pages, so would the increase in screen costs be worth it in the long run—for the extra paragraph you might be able to squeeze into it?

... and the touch screen UI can bite me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't know how everybody settled on 6", but it's pathetically small. Not even the size of a mmpb, and a book opens up to two pages, so it's not even half the printable size of one book page turn.

DX or tablet size is too big for portability.

With a touch screen UI that everyone is moving to, we should be able to get something the size of a mmbp with the same "printable" screen area, around 7 to 7.5".
Well, first you only read 1 page of a book at a time. The fact that two pages are in front of you doesn't really change that, unless you are referring to a diagram... but that's not your typical mmpb.

You could look around for an iRex 8inch thing. Of course, the company's is defunct now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If you compare the sizes of the text blocks, and have a reasonable screen margin on your reader, the diagonal of a 6" reader is a bit less than 1" less than that of an MMPB. The 950 is definitely closer to the size of an MMPB, and has much the same aspect ratio as well.

So, if that's what you want, it's available to buy (for a bit more money).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
6" is pretty damn good for an ereader... it easily fits in my pocket, a bigger screen doesn't, that's why I carry a tablet in a shoulder bag, it's got a bigger screen
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

It's sufficient. As long as it's easy to read with, I am content.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Barty you reminded me of two proverbs:

1: If you don't have what you like, you like what you have.
2: the frugal one will always have enough.

Apart from that: In case you have e-mail notification for own threads active - Grats:
You might just have managed to make MR being put on spammer blacklist by your mailclient, just because your own threads title.

I'm damn happy, there are no vocabulary sensitive ads on MR
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Eh, 6 inches is fine for reading novels, even if it's about an inch less vertically (but about the same width) than a normal paperback's text area (ie, ignoring page numbers and the whitespace edging).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, first you only read 1 page of a book at a time. The fact that two pages are in front of you doesn't really change that,...
That's why we have two eyes. Just gotta teach the brain how to do it. While the left eye is reading the left page, the right eye is reading and buffering the right page. Then when the left eye is finished, your brain processes the content it buffered from the right eye. Now you're ready to turn the page and start the process all over again.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
When I'm reading a paperback, I never give a thought to the dimensions of the page, or even to whether the contrast is good or not (which it often isn't on my aged copies with yellow or brown paper). The book is what it is, can't be changed, and I just read it as is. So, accepting an ereader's dimensions hasn't been a problem for me either. As long as I can determine the words without too much effort, I'm happy. Making comparisons to better books/devices will only result in needless dissatisfaction, so why bother?
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't understand. It's the size of a paperback and people don't usually have trouble with those, unless the print is very small, which can be fixed in an ebook by enlarging the print.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Love my DX, especially when I don't bring along reading glasses, but my Nook Simple Touch is plenty big enough. Fits nicely into a fanny pack *with* the cover.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
It's fine for me, I like the portability..

You could always make the text smaller to fit more on the page, I know it can be strenuous pushing that next button
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote