Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Rocknsoul
Rocknsoul began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
I got my Nook Thanksgiving Day when B&N was selling reconditioned ones on eBay. I love it!! I immediately got a bunch of free books & have checked Free Fridays faithfully. Yesterday I finally got around to connecting it to my computer & personalizing my wallpaper, screensaver, and loading books I had on my phone to My Docs.

Thanks to this board I found Project Gutenberg...yay! Google's books were getting frustrating. I also downloaded a ton of free books thanks to the sticky thread on top. Learned to enter 0.00 in my B&N search. I look forward to looking at other ereader sites to get more. I sent my library card app to Philadelphia yesterday. I will do more searches to find some more libraries to join. One nearby does digital loans, but since I don't live in the city it's $50/year to join! No thanks. I can't imagine my library will take much longer to catch up. I just realized how cheap I sound. Just super thrifty.

I do have 2 questions:

1) I keep seeing "Calibre"; what is this and why is it useful? I will also do a search to find out.

2) For some reason, my swiping doesn't work to turn pages in My Library. It works fine everywhere else. Is this normal?

I'm like a kid at a candy store. Happy, happy.

Rocknsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #32
Grayce
Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook and NOOkcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsafety View Post
You may not have read my original post, but I'm looking to buy books online through my PC at home rather than having to go to a McDonald's parking lot to do it. I've been trying to get a straight answer from B&N about buying books on my computer to load on the nook but the answers I get are all different. Anybody know the answer to the question, "Can I buy a book from B&N on my PC and put it into My B&N folder library on the nook?" It just seems so weird that the answer is difficult to find considering iTunes has been doing it so easily for so long....
If you're going to download via PC and "side-load" a book onto the nook, it HAS to go into the my documents folder. It doesn't matter whether you bought the book from B&N or not. The only way things get loaded into the B&N library is via wifi or 3G download directly onto the nook by checking for new content.
Grayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #33
Quantalume
Quantalume began at the beginning.

Device: nook wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknsoul View Post
1) I keep seeing "Calibre"; what is this and why is it useful? I will also do a search to find out.
http://calibre-ebook.com/
It is a program for managing your digital library and converting between different eBook formats. I haven't found it terribly useful, but that's just me.
Quantalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #34
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What functions and/or features attracted you to the Nook and/or the Nook Color? Some of my pals are asking me this question.
  • Large, attractive touchscreen
  • Customization abilities
  • Big-chain bookstore backing
  • Wi-fi
  • Removable storage
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #35
Rocknsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantalume View Post
http://calibre-ebook.com/
It is a program for managing your digital library and converting between different eBook formats. I haven't found it terribly useful, but that's just me.
Thanks! I found the website yesterday. I was very impressed with what the gentleman has come up with, but it looks like the main features would be more useful with a Sony or a rooted Nook (which took me forever to finally understand).

I'll be okay with my shelves for now, and it doesn't bother me to have some books in MyDocs & others on the B&N section. I may use it if I find some good deals in a format I need to convert.
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #36
Rocknsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What functions and/or features attracted you to the Nook and/or the Nook Color? Some of my pals are asking me this question.
Beside the obvious joy of having hundreds or even thousands of books available to read in a little bitty package...

The ability to lend and borrow books; being able to borrow from the library (huge!); the connection to Barnes & Noble, e.g. coupons & in-store reading.

Now that I have it, I'm finding the swipe page-turning saves my thumbs. Pressing a button to turn pages gets tiring after a while.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #37
PraireLake
PraireLake began at the beginning.

Device: BN Nook Color
I Love Love Love the Nook Color. I am reading more now than I did before, if that is possible! I haven't had any trouble, but I don't know anything about what rooting means, or how to find and get free books. I am in the sticks, so getting them from the library will not be possible for a while yet. I imagine they will catch up soon, they are building a new library and they are online finally.

Can anyone give me a step by step process about finding and getting free e-books? I am just learning about Free Fridays? What is that?
PraireLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #38
Rocknsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraireLake View Post
I Love Love Love the Nook Color. I am reading more now than I did before, if that is possible! I haven't had any trouble, but I don't know anything about what rooting means, or how to find and get free books. I am in the sticks, so getting them from the library will not be possible for a while yet. I imagine they will catch up soon, they are building a new library and they are online finally.

Can anyone give me a step by step process about finding and getting free e-books? I am just learning about Free Fridays? What is that?
Look here for lots of free book ideas: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112934

You can download them to your computer & then side-load them to your Nook with your USB.

Free Fridays is a blog on The Daily that lists a book that B&N is giving away that day.

You can also look to the top of this board in the sticky section. I've found a lot there!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #39
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I've been hanging around since before Xmas......lurking at first, the forums in general, while deciding what to get.....I jumped in as soon as I made my purchase (NookColor).....Mine never made it under the tree....
First Ereader of any type for me....

Great place, helpful people with so much Knowledge......And now that I'm rooted, I seem to be here all the time (at least while I'm off work this week)

Maybe someday...I'll be able to actually help someone else......

By the way.......Scion is awesome
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #40
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Quote:
Thanks! I found the website yesterday. I was very impressed with what the gentleman has come up with, but it looks like the main features would be more useful with a Sony or a rooted Nook (which took me forever to finally understand).

I'll be okay with my shelves for now, and it doesn't bother me to have some books in MyDocs & others on the B&N section. I may use it if I find some good deals in a format I need to convert.

when using Calibre for Sony and Nook - convert them into "epub"
that is good for both and that is, what I am doing.

If you like Calibre, send some bucks to Kovid - the programmer.
He is doing a great job for this community and deserves some rewards for this.

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #41
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...
merlin5353 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook classic, Eee PC
Quote:
Look here for lots of free book ideas: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112934

You can download them to your computer & then side-load them to your Nook with your USB.

Free Fridays is a blog on The Daily that lists a book that B&N is giving away that day.

You can also look to the top of this board in the sticky section. I've found a lot there!
I LIKE Free Fridays. Heck, I like about ANYthing free. I got my NC as a Christmas gift from my LOVELY Wife. I was actually checking into getting her a Nook or NC as a gift! She really surprised me this year. Of course, I'm just waiting to see how long before she 'borrows' my Nook Color. Such a deal, eh?
BTW, a great blog ya got here.
merlin5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #42
KateVa
KateVa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Love my new NC-signed up at local B&N and got the first one they had delivered in Nov.
My local library has epub books and I get them online from anywhere. Real treat.

Unfortunately they have more Mobipocket editions available right now, and all, of course, with the dreaded drm. Can't decide if I can delve back into Dos to strip the drm...been a few years!

Otherwise, very happy with NC.

Kate
KateVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #43
BecomingMe
BecomingMe is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I just received my classic NOOK this last week as a belated Christmas gift...I'm so loving it. I just got the Bleecker Cover yesterday, but I really, really want to get an Oberon cover for it soon...

I really like reading and learning from you all...thanks to many of your tips, I already have quite a few books downloaded...as well as making my first purchase too...

I'm still trying to decide if I should get a refund for my B&N membership as it doesn't seem to cover Nook books at this time which frustrates me to no end.
My Husband and I have been searching for quite awhile on which reader to get and decided on the NOOK in big part because it can accept a variety of formats including being able to get library books, and it's expandable memory...

Oh, one note, it seems that many of the servers at B&N are just not accustomed to handle the volume of Wi-Fi users...we went yesterday and it seems than many customers were complaining...I'm lucky that my husband is a techie(network engineer) and has set up the home Wi-Fi and we have a fast connection via cable internet....

I'm glad I found this place and willing and eager to learn more about authors and my device...woohoo!!
BecomingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #44
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecomingMe View Post
I just received my classic NOOK this last week as a belated Christmas gift...I'm so loving it. I just got the Bleecker Cover yesterday, but I really, really want to get an Oberon cover for it soon...

I really like reading and learning from you all...thanks to many of your tips, I already have quite a few books downloaded...as well as making my first purchase too...

I'm still trying to decide if I should get a refund for my B&N membership as it doesn't seem to cover Nook books at this time which frustrates me to no end.
My Husband and I have been searching for quite awhile on which reader to get and decided on the NOOK in big part because it can accept a variety of formats including being able to get library books, and it's expandable memory...

Oh, one note, it seems that many of the servers at B&N are just not accustomed to handle the volume of Wi-Fi users...we went yesterday and it seems than many customers were complaining...I'm lucky that my husband is a techie(network engineer) and has set up the home Wi-Fi and we have a fast connection via cable internet....

I'm glad I found this place and willing and eager to learn more about authors and my device...woohoo!!
Welcome! I've had my NookClassic since May and i still use it every single day. I've almost entirely replaced my English-language DTB collection, though not my Japanese one.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #45
bkomer
bkomer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bkomer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bkomer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Classic
I have had my Classic Nook since July, and love it. Gave my wife a Nook Color for Christmas, and now I'm jealous...may have to get one for myself! Nothing wrong with being a 3-Nook family, right?
bkomer is offline   Reply With Quote